new statement (1 Viewer)

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Existence!! fuck me who said that, expelled is not the same... well if you want to twist it i suppose it is.
What do you think will happen if we got expelled? With no ground, no income and no league to play in?!

Chipfat

Think not really posting since August until coming on to defend the council with nonsense like that says enough.

Only come on to wind you up, knew you would bite just a matter of a few posts.. See ya next August "Big Brother"

SBAndy

You want pressure on all parties to bring them together, the only way you get that on all is to say you can move within the boundaries set... FL can only pressure to SISU if they say Ricoh only, but if they allow a move within the area stated you bring in Wasps due to lose of revenue within stadium and CCC because of city. This way all have to think about the path they pick to go down. You say you want all to have responsibility and pressure applied equally that is the only way all get to know what each will lose.

This is not what i would want but any other decision by the FL allows one or two parties to stay away without pressure. Now where this could be i dont know The club said they have an alternative yesterday. If not then this conversation and this situation doesn't change.

Right up there with the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

Chipfat

What do you think will happen if we got expelled? With no ground, no income and no league to play in?!

The FL are asking for the above, a deal is needed. Me telling you i'm a fan or me having an opinion on who is a liar, cheat or playing with words does not change what they want. As for being expelled it does not mean extinction, if the owners have a viable plan to re build or even have the ground they promised few years ago we'd have to start again.

Last edited:

olderskyblue

It's not even an anti-council message you need, more a 'why CCFC matter, and why they should be supported'.

Now, p[olitically (small p) as soon as the Wasps deal was made, they can't let it fail - that would be seen as failure, and catastrophic for their seats. So, you have to show that their seats are in danger if CCFC fail, make it obvious that the most pragmatic thing to do is to help CCFC succeed, in terms of what the public want. Yes, SISU don't help that message! But it's as much 'how can your local council secure your support?'

But as it stands, Duggins has a point doesn't he? As far as you can see, people don't care. And that's as much because we spend so much time looking for a literal 'what will this change' we forget to do the incremental bits.

I'd be rubbish at campaigning, I'll just do the strategy for your campaign ;)

I'd be following in my dear old grandad's footsteps then. He was a Coventry Councillor back in the day.

GaryJones

Talking about statements has anything been released from SISU yet?

shmmeee

In what way was the council commitment 'woolly'? It's there in black and white, a promise that the deal wouldn't hurt the club.

There is nothing vague in that promise, it clearly was not time limited, and if the Council couldn't deliver it then they shouldn't have promised it when voting on the deal.

They could have insisted on a clause that the club should always be offered a deal on commercial terms, perhaps based on some kind of formula. If for whatever reason Wasps wouldn't take it on that basis, then the council could have declined to sell.

The council should not get a free pass here, they are guilty as both individuals and as an organisation of serial deception. That should never be accepted or tolerated imho.

It’s not black and white. What’s in black and white are the words “subject to a commercial agreement”, which makes it essentially worthless as that’s a subjective opinion. You and I may argue continued rent charges are a commercial agreement even with the legals, Wasps May argue that the legals mean it’s not an agreement that’s commercially viable.

The fact is there was no realistic legal route to ensuring that Wasps would rent to Sisu under any circumstances. The mistake the councillors made was giving that impression in interviews when it wasn’t possible.

But then you’ve got to get on at May for not fixing social problems, or Cameron for not being the greenest government ever, or Blair for privatising education, or, or, or. That’s politics. The punishment is being voted out if you do it too much but history suggests that’s not likely.

So yes, get angry at councillors for giving the wrong impression. But don’t expect it to resolve the current situation.

Again, I’m sorry this isn’t what you want to hear but I won't patronise you.

Nick

Administrator
It’s not black and white. What’s in black and white are the words “subject to a commercial agreement”, which makes it essentially worthless as that’s a subjective opinion. You and I may argue continued rent charges are a commercial agreement even with the legals, Wasps May argue that the legals mean it’s not an agreement that’s commercially viable.

The fact is there was no realistic legal route to ensuring that Wasps would rent to Sisu under any circumstances. The mistake the councillors made was giving that impression in interviews when it wasn’t possible.

But then you’ve got to get on at May for not fixing social problems, or Cameron for not being the greenest government ever, or Blair for privatising education, or, or, or. That’s politics. The punishment is being voted out if you do it too much but history suggests that’s not likely.

So yes, get angry at councillors for giving the wrong impression. But don’t expect it to resolve the current situation.

Again, I’m sorry this isn’t what you want to hear but I won't patronise you.

I don't think he is expecting it to fix, maybe just for councillors to get called out on things a bit.

They didn't give that impression by mistake, it was intentional.

shmmeee

I don't think he is expecting it to fix, maybe just for councillors to get called out on things a bit.

They didn't give that impression by mistake, it was intentional.

Yes. Politicians say all kinds of shit. What matters is how they vote and what passes.

You can’t know intent Nick, you can know facts. The fact is that it wasn’t just two councillors who passed the deal. It was cross party. Making it about one or two interview quotes ignores that fact.

As I say, get angry at politicians for lying, I’m angry that the rain is wet too, just don’t expect anything to come from it.

What this release shows is that the council don’t have a mechanism to force Wasps to do a deal. As I’ve been saying since this all started up again. It’s between Wasps and Sisu to sort a commercial agreement.

That’s not letting the council off the hook, any more than it let’s Richardson, McGinnity, Robinson, Elliot, Ranson, Hoffman, etc, etc, etc off the hook. It’s about focusing anger where it’s useful right now to achieve the aims we want.

Nick

Administrator
Yes. Politicians say all kinds of shit. What matters is how they vote and what passes.

You can’t know intent Nick, you can know facts. The fact is that it wasn’t just two councillors who passed the deal. It was cross party. Making it about one or two interview quotes ignores that fact.

As I say, get angry at politicians for lying, I’m angry that the rain is wet too, just don’t expect anything to come from it.

What this release shows is that the council don’t have a mechanism to force Wasps to do a deal. As I’ve been saying since this all started up again. It’s between Wasps and Sisu to sort a commercial agreement.

That’s not letting the council off the hook, any more than it let’s Richardson, McGinnity, Robinson, Elliot, Ranson, Hoffman, etc, etc, etc off the hook. It’s about focusing anger where it’s useful right now to achieve the aims we want.

The council have said themselves they have the clout to get involved though. It would be naive to think they couldn't, look at the clout they tried to use over Cov Rugby.

The thing is, over the years people have all gloated and given it the big one.

Call them all out on it. If Duggins doesn't have any say, he shouldn't have been running to the Telegraph making out he can sort everything if the legals were dropped and giving it billy big bollocks knowing the Trust and Telegraph will back him up ;)

RoboCCFC90

I wonder how EFL came up with 6 miles. Tottenham must be 10 miles from Wembley.

13 miles to be precise, the PL would be accountable for Tottenham's situation as opposed to the EFL.

Last edited:

jordan210

Has anyone been reading Byngs posts on facebook.

"I am told of a conversation, during a bus journey this morning, between Cllr George Duggins, Leader of Coventry City Council, and a fellow traveller.

Cllr Duggins is alleged to have said the "if SISU win the Court case then the Council will appeal straight away because there is nothing in writing about CCFC entitlement to play at the Ricoh Arena and in any case the matter is nothing to do with the Council although the Council will do what Wasps
want it to do".

Needless to say the fellow traveller was extremely alarmed by the conversation and that Cllr Duggins spoke whilst wearing his Wasps replica
jacket!

The conversation is extremely disturbing to all Coventrians and Coventry City fans, given the Council's repeated statements of support for the
long-term well-being of Coventry City Football Club

The substance of the conversation is in the public domain and does need to be confirmed by Cllr Duggins, accompanied by formal irrevocable statement from Coventry City Council, confirming its continuing and sustained support for the long-term well-being of the Sky Blues in the City"

jordan210

"My apologies for troubling this group once more!

Returning to the relationship of Coventry City Council with Wasps, I have just received a another telephone call this morning from a Chartered
Surveyor colleague of mine, a rugby fan through and through, who is attending the annual international property event, MIPM, in Cannes. He asked me why, as Wasps are represented, as he put it " flying the flag with the City Council", aren't Coventry City
Football Club and Coventry Rugby Club equally represented?

When I made the obvious suggestion about the Ricoh row and ongoing litigation, he said that surely the Council, in the interest of the City as
a whole, should make best use of all of those companies that represent it, CCFC has
twice taken over 40,000 fans to Wembley in recent years and returned successfully. Coventry Rugby Club is equally resurgent.

I wasn't aware that Wasps were at MIPM so I looked at the Wasps' website and found the following statement made by Déirdre Fitzhugh, Director of Wasps Community Foundation:-

"There are a couple of truisms - people do business with people, and places have to make themselves easy to do business with. My experience of the Coventry and Warwickshire MIPIM Partnership tells me that we tick both
boxes."

It is an admirable statement but as my colleague said, why aren't Coventry City Football Club and Coventry Rugby Club involved, both have made a far greater contribution to the local community over a longer period than Wasps have or are ever likely to.

Coventry City Council's ambiguous action towards the owners of CCFC, which
Like it or not have saved this great football club from extinction, is difficult to understand to outsiders, as my potential Chinese investors
found some years ago. Coventry RFC has been at the heart of the sport in the City since 1874 and surely is worthy of support and promotion.

CCFC and CRFC appear to "tick the boxes" in bold type more emphatically than Wasps self-credit their organisation.

Or perhaps, as my Chartered Surveyor colleague said, the City Council has a far greater need to support a sporting organisation with heavy balance sheet debt, £55 millions at the last account, with the real potential for financial failure, and to protect it from collapse in the Coventry & Warwickshire LEP Area, than to support its other successful and debt free
sports clubs.

Food for thought?"

Nick

Administrator
Looks as if it is the Council and Wasps flying the flag in Cannes

wasps-linked-in-asset-mipim.jpg

Fletch

Looks as if it is the Council and Wasps flying the flag in Cannes

wasps-linked-in-asset-mipim.jpg
Not just flying the flag for Coventry, Eastwood and Duggins both (paid) directors (and sole representatives from Coventry) of West Midlands Growth Ltd quango formed from West Midlands Combined Authority.

eastwoodsdustman

Not just flying the flag for Coventry, Eastwood and Duggins both (paid) directors (and sole representatives from Coventry) of West Midlands Growth Ltd quango formed from West Midlands Combined Authority.
Both appointed on the same day too. There’s a coincidence.

chiefdave

"I am told of a conversation, during a bus journey this morning, between Cllr George Duggins, Leader of Coventry City Council, and a fellow traveller.

Cllr Duggins is alleged to have said the "if SISU win the Court case then the Council will appeal straight away because there is nothing in writing about CCFC entitlement to play at the Ricoh Arena and in any case the matter is nothing to do with the Council although the Council will do what Wasps
want it to do".

Needless to say the fellow traveller was extremely alarmed by the conversation and that Cllr Duggins spoke whilst wearing his Wasps replica
jacket!
This has got to be a wind up. Even Duggins can't be that stupid surely.

chiefdave

The more people dig the worse things look yet there will still be those who come on to desperately defend the council.

chiefdave

The desperation to absolve the council of all blame is very strange from some of our fans. This wasn't a bit of spin, presenting the facts a certain way to give the impression you desire. This was an outright lie, repeated multiple times to enable the smooth passage of the sale of the stadium to Wasps doing untold damage to the long term future of the football club in the process.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I would love Fisher to be accountable to our fans but there is no way of enforcing that. Simply put he can feed us as much shit as he likes and there is nothing we can do about it. The same doesn't apply to the council.

I don't agree there's NOTHING we can do about (like we can do with councillors by voting them out - even though it doesn't seem to happen anywhere near enough). We can fight for the legal framework to be changed so that people in private enterprise are more harshly punished for doing so, preferably by financial means rather than prison as that will be of greater importance to them. You can make it so they can't hold any form of directorship or board position.

It might be a bit idealistic on my part but it's definitely preferable to your defeatist attitude which if anything suggests we should encourage state control to be able to up the standards? (which I don't think is the way forward)

chiefdave

We can fight for the legal framework to be changed so that people in private enterprise are more harshly punished for doing so, preferably by financial means rather than prison as that will be of greater importance to them. You can make it so they can't hold any form of directorship or board position.

It might be a bit idealistic on my part but it's definitely preferable to your defeatist attitude which if anything suggests we should encourage state control to be able to up the standards? (which I don't think is the way forward)
State control? What on earth are you on about.

You're now saying a framework should be in place for private enterprise yet you are also saying we should ignore the framework that the council should be working to that is already in place.

Isn't company law the framework for private enterprise?

Users who are viewing this thread