New Job Doubts (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

For balance I also hate Manchester.

Just really don’t get on with the “travelled in Bali, did the three peaks, off skiing” crowd. I find I have nothing to talk about with them.

Grendel

For balance I also hate Manchester.

Just really don’t get on with the “travelled in Bali, did the three peaks, off skiing” crowd. I find I have nothing to talk about with them.

You can just show your Tory membership card and that you have a picture of Thatcher on your phone - you will be part of the yuppie set before you know it

robbiekeane

Just looking for other peoples experiences/advice really. Standard “no I’m not doing whatever a football forum tells me” disclaimer. But know there’s a wide range of experience on here.

Quit my job for one based in London on a lot more pay, went up to meet the team in an off site in Glasgow this week and … really don’t like them or the vibe of the company at all. All the things I don’t like about London people, quite snotty and rude, I didn’t feel welcome at all.

Got about a month and a half of my notice period left and am having real doubts. Lots of frustrations at my current place where I’ve been for years and the offer of more money led me to quit but am now doubting myself.

Not sure whether to withdraw my resignation and either stay or look for a better fit. Not sure how that would play with my current place or how to approach it or if I’m just being silly and should give the new place a go.

Any stories of changing jobs and first impressions being wrong or of backing out of a new job?
You’ve got to do it. Not because you’ve made your bed at your current place (although you have a little) but because you’ll never know if you don’t try it.

You were probably nervous as fuck meeting them, they were probably trying to show off and make a good impression, who knows. One of my best mates now I thought was a massive pretentious prick the first time I met him which was when I joined that business. I mean he definitely is, but I love him lol.

All that to say, if you go and you hate it, great. It’s another data point and it reaffirms what you are starting to suspect which is perhaps you value other things more.

If you don’t go for it now, you’ll always wonder what if and the next time something pisses you off at your current job (which it will) you’ll kick yourself*

*disclaimer I have no idea what I’m doing in life just making it up as I go along

CCFCSteve

You’ve got to do it. Not because you’ve made your bed at your current place (although you have a little) but because you’ll never know if you don’t try it.

You were probably nervous as fuck meeting them, they were probably trying to show off and make a good impression, who knows. One of my best mates now I thought was a massive pretentious prick the first time I met him which was when I joined that business. I mean he definitely is, but I love him lol.

All that to say, if you go and you hate it, great. It’s another data point and it reaffirms what you are starting to suspect which is perhaps you value other things more.

If you don’t go for it now, you’ll always wonder what if and the next time something pisses you off at your current job (which it will) you’ll kick yourself*

*disclaimer I have no idea what I’m doing in life just making it up as I go along

This 👆 . You’d made your decision. Give it a go. Do your best, bank the extra cash and keep an eye for other opportunities incase it doesn’t work out. Life’s full a little gambles. You never know who you might meet or what you might learn...might ultimately take you in a direction you’d never even considered

Ps good luck with whatever you decide

Tommo1993

There are doubts in everything. But if mine are a bit stronger than normal then I’ll go with them. How long you been at current job? Maybe losing the comfort factor (if there is one!) has influenced you?

Don’t envy your predicament mate, all the best.

shmmeee

To make things even worse I let slip I wasn’t completely happy with what I found to my new manager at my current place and he started grinning and saying he’d promise me the chance to work on whatever I want if I stayed because I’m key to the department and he’ll even try and get a pay rise (which I didn’t ask for but aren’t about to turn down).

shmmeee

I think a large part of this is I know myself and my autism and how bad I am with change and new people. On the one hand I should push to work on that. On the other I should trust my gut I guess.

Decisions decisions. Gonna take a few days and see what the counteroffer shakes out as.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I lived in London for nearly 10 years from when I went to uni. Based in central London it was an exciting place to start. When I graduated I was fortunate enough to buy my own flat in SW london near Clapham. Then I began to realise the reality of living down there : the expense, lack of space, sheer size of the city. And, importantly, that unless you have loads of cash, it's no better than living in any other city and in many ways it's worse.
It's a city full of people where it's very easy to be lonely and isolated. People don't say hello or smile much. They're too busy . Life's too hectic to take the time to care about anyone else. It's a city full of strangers.
You have to be honest with yourself and ask what it is you want out of life . Do you value your free time? Do you want longer hours or more family time.
No one can tell you what to do . London is a very exciting place at times but it comes with it's down side . I'd never go back ( except for Wembley !)

NorthernWisdom

I lived in London for nearly 10 years from when I went to uni. Based in central London it was an exciting place to start. When I graduated I was fortunate enough to buy my own flat in SW london near Clapham. Then I began to realise the reality of living down there : the expense, lack of space, sheer size of the city. And, importantly, that unless you have loads of cash, it's no better than living in any other city and in many ways it's worse.
It's a city full of people where it's very easy to be lonely and isolated. People don't say hello or smile much. They're too busy . Life's too hectic to take the time to care about anyone else. It's a city full of strangers.
You have to be honest with yourself and ask what it is you want out of life . Do you value your free time? Do you want longer hours or more family time.
No one can tell you what to do . London is a very exciting place at times but it comes with it's down side . I'd never go back ( except for Wembley !)
tbf, if he only has to pop down once a month, that's somewhat different.

shmmeee

I think I feel the same way a lot. Family and time matters more at my age. Would be different if I was 21 of course.

NorthernWisdom

Well that’s what was said at interview. Talking to people it seems once a week or more is expected to some extent.
That's maybe somewhat harder.

Anyway, I have little to add, other than I turned down an opportunity in the US because I wanted to stay with my girlfriend at the time... who dumped me a couple of months later. I then left one career because I valued mental well-being ahead of money but, seven-ish years later, and a constant stream of hour cuts for the permanent contract (which doesn't pay overly well either) and a number of insecure temporary gigs to bulk it out... I'd be all about the cash if I could do it again!

It's a cliche but, the grass is always greener. If it works out then you know it's the right thing to do, but you don't know if it'll work out until you try it. Therefore, the main question is how much you dislike where you are and, given the fact you were looking for a job in the first place, that suggests you aren't / weren't overly happy...

chiefdave

When they say go down there are they talking about leaving early in the morning / getting home late so you can do a full day in the office there or being paid to sit on a train?

In my current job I'm out and about a lot and what was supposed to be local only soon seemed to change to the whole country. There's a big difference between leaving at the same time you normally leave to work but going to a client site and have to leave at 6am to be onsite for a day meaning you don't get home until 8pm. When they started expecting that 2 or 3 times a week it was hell. No idea how people that do that every day cope, its definitely not for me.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think I feel the same way a lot. Family and time matters more at my age. Would be different if I was 21 of course.
I remember going to Wembley stadium to watch city recently. We drove on the north circular and parked up some side street.
It brought back to me its a city polarised more than any other place I've been in the UK. Wealth like you can't imagine yet absolute poverty in almost any borough.
You're spot on : I was 18 when I went and central London was fantastic. I even felt safe at night as it was buzzing . Loads of people around, pubs, clubs , theatre etc. Amazing.
But most people live in places no better than any parts of Coventry. Most people can't afford a house of any kind and live in flats or rentals.
I left in the end because we wanted to start a family, have a house, garden, open spaces, visit other towns villages etc. Simple as that .
Getting In a car in any part of London and driving even 5 miles at the weekend to a big park was a nightmare. In the end, the quality of life I wanted wasn't what London had to offer.
Your family is important. Have you spoken to them about it ? List your priorities and see where they stack up if you take the job and if you don't.

SAJ

Did something similar myself in 99. Took a job in London as things changed up here. Had to travel to London twice a week. Initial 3 months I found it hard but over a period of time found different members of staff who had similar interest to me. Amazing what doors football and music open. In the end stayed for 14 years till I retired and have to say it was worth while doing even though I thought I’d made the biggest mistake of my life at the time. Still to this day hate travelling to London but I made some good friends learnt loads of new things just by listening to other peoples interest. In the end I would have to say my experience was very positive.

chiefdave

You're spot on : I was 18 when I went and central London was fantastic. I even felt safe at night as it was buzzing . Loads of people around, pubs, clubs , theatre etc. Amazing.
I lived in the East. Someone once pulled a gun and threatened to shoot me for stopping at a red light! To be fair it worked, I put my foot down immediately!

Travs

If it was me, travelling down there once a month, or even once a week, would be very appealing, assuming you're working from home the rest of the time. But its all down to personalities....

London is ok if it's just semi regular like that. For the record i worked for a Coventry company who only worked for London clients, so was in a similar situation. And it's only just over an hour's train journey to Euston. Unfortunately in my case, "once a week" became "three times a week leaving Cov station at 6:10am and not getting back to Cov until 7pm if i'm lucky", and it was just taking too much of my life away.

If you've got assurances re the regularity of travelling to London then i'd be inclined to go for it.

I work from home, mostly in the Lake District, and come down to an office by the NEC as necessary..... and it's absolutely changed my life.... but i work for an easy-going company and am more or less left to do my job as i see fit.... But i fully appreciate not all companies are like this.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Shmeeee, do you know at this stage where abouts in London you will be based and the hours/ days you will be working down there ?

stay_up_skyblues

Well… if they come up with an offer to keep you, monetary and project wise, and your happy enough where you are, then that changes things.

A few months ago I went through the interview process and got an offer elsewhere which was a 30% increase on my basic plus bonus. Days then spent mulling it over, weighing everything up and asking for advice from everyone. My reasons for looking around were purely financial. Anyway I decided to move and handed my notice in, fairly terrified I’d made the wrong call.

Mr current place turned around and beat the new place’s offer and my notice was swiftly withdrawn. Massive weight off my shoulders and found myself more motivated than I’d ever been in this job. So maybe something similar is afoot for you mate. Either way it sounds like, career wise, you’re in a good position.

It is shame you often have to get an offer from someone else before your current employer pays you what you’re worth but it has been the same anywhere I’ve worked. The irony is of course that they often then go out and pay someone that higher amount to replace you!

TomRad85

Just looking for other peoples experiences/advice really. Standard “no I’m not doing whatever a football forum tells me” disclaimer. But know there’s a wide range of experience on here.

Quit my job for one based in London on a lot more pay, went up to meet the team in an off site in Glasgow this week and … really don’t like them or the vibe of the company at all. All the things I don’t like about London people, quite snotty and rude, I didn’t feel welcome at all.

Got about a month and a half of my notice period left and am having real doubts. Lots of frustrations at my current place where I’ve been for years and the offer of more money led me to quit but am now doubting myself.

Not sure whether to withdraw my resignation and either stay or look for a better fit. Not sure how that would play with my current place or how to approach it or if I’m just being silly and should give the new place a go.

Any stories of changing jobs and first impressions being wrong or of backing out of a new job?
Considered quitting my job many times for more money but I like the people and as I'm not struggling atm I decided that's more important. Having worked with arseholes in the past it makes you realise you shouldn't take good people for granted.
Are your current employers good people or merely the lesser of 2 evils? If the latter then move for more money. If it becomes unbearable just leave in a few months.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

olderskyblue

I started a new job in the 80’s, HQ was in London, and within days went to their Christmas party, probably about 150 people there. Felt like an interloper, as people migrated to their friends, colleagues etc from whichever local office. Sat on my own a lot, and thought how ignorant everyone was for not at least trying to include me in conversations.

couple of months later and I was part of the furniture, and realised all the ignorant people were actually good people, and celebrating at the party with people they’d known for ages was quite natural.

PS the one who did come over and chat a couple of times was a gorgeous blonde (who ended up being my secretary..) but, she was very much in demand at the party, so didnt/couldn’t spend that much time with the new boy 🤣

skybluesam66

Opposite for me. At least when you get off the train up north there aren’t crowds of arseholes shoving people out of the way with an overpriced coffee in their hands
Milton Keynes is worse for that. I don’t get off until they move by which time others have got round by other doors
Still not moved and the laptop bag swings heavily into the shins of whoever is in the way

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I know that some people say " take the job otherwise you'll always wonder what you might have missed. "
Not always true otherwise everyone would take it. Is there an opportunity to talk to your present employer about a change to your job if you stay? No harm in asking.

RegTheDonk

You mentioned family and you have to do whats right by them. Talk to them and do they have any concerns either way. The way things are going up generally, financial stability for yourself and them is important (I don't mean short term big bucks, what's the chances of getting laid off from either job, whats the pension schemes like etc.)

I think you're brave talking about your autism and you mentioned change as a factor, but don't let change scare you off. Think you moved home recently? That's a big change and you coped with that.

Finally and pardon the Xmas pun but I'd also be making a list and checking it twice. Pros and Cons. Sounds a bit obvious, but go into enough depth and one option might be head and shoulders above the other.

Skybluefaz

Considered quitting my job many times for more money but I like the people and as I'm not struggling atm I decided that's more important. Having worked with arseholes in the past it makes you realise you shouldn't take good people for granted.
Are your current employers good people or merely the lesser of 2 evils? If the latter then move for more money. If it becomes unbearable just leave in a few months.

I can relate to this, although I was in a position where I had to move to get some experience in web development do didn't really have a choice. I left a great bunch of people behind though and knew I couldn't luck out to that extent again but I didn't expect to join a company full of wet weekends and genuine dick heads. You are never going to get on with everyone but boy does it help going in every day if there is a good bunch of people.

TomRad85

I can relate to this, although I was in a position where I had to move to get some experience in web development do didn't really have a choice. I left a great bunch of people behind though and knew I couldn't luck out to that extent again but I didn't expect to join a company full of wet weekends and genuine dick heads. You are never going to get on with everyone but boy does it help going in every day if there is a good bunch of people.
It really is the people that make or break a job. My previous job actually paid me a fairly decent amount more than my current job, but damn... what a bunch a dicks.

higgs

Sounds promising with the pay rise and good vibes from the new manager and not having to uproot do you get on well with the work colleagues

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread