New deal for shipperz (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

He's versatile, more so than westbrook and I think that shows in this contract offer... Has adapted to every step we've taken, will more than likely be a squad player but I'm happy he's extended

JulianDarbyFTW

???
He's Improved loads and a big part of our double promotion but he has had off days and poor games so don't get the never lets us down stuff

Cov kid syndrome perhaps

Yeah, he has poor games, but my point is that even when he has a stinker his head doesn't drop and he doesn't stop trying for the team. It's easy to hide when you have a bad game, but Shipley still shows for the ball and tries to play through it. I admire that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Earned it, but slightly disappointing it's only for one extra year and he'll be 24 when it expires so could leave for nothing then. But who knows what might happen between now and then, and how he'll perform in the Championship.

Sky Blue Harry H

Ffs ! Having an off day is not letting the team down there isn’t a player in the country anywhere at at any level who plays the same or better every week I include Messi, Ronaldo in that list. I’ve yet to see Shipley not it a shift in.

I agree totally (if you omit the bit in bold)

Esoterica

Shipley regularly gets beyond the striker(s) and breaks the opposition defensive lines. When that's a natural instinct, coaches love it - it creates space for team mates, can wreck the opposition's defensive shape and tests their communication and organisation in either running with him from midfield or passing him on from midfield to defense. Chuck in that he's left footed and also got the ability to smack one in from 20 yards and there's a player in there.
He's had some pretty big flaws to his game too though - in his first two seasons, his first touch could occasionally be shocking, he'd be guilty of misplacing simple passes 2 or 3 times per game and he had little creativity, particularly around the box, where his short passing composure was awful. He's clearly worked very hard on that side of his game though and is improving season on season. Last year it was visible that his touch was more consistent, he was getting assists and contributing to the build up of play around the box.

With 100 games of experience at the age of 22, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if a few PL scouts were tracking his development this year - he has some stand out qualities and while his rough edges continue to get polished with every passing season, he'll be on team's radars until they see where his 'ceiling' is.

It’sabatch87

Shipley regularly gets beyond the striker(s) and breaks the opposition defensive lines. When that's a natural instinct, coaches love it - it creates space for team mates, can wreck the opposition's defensive shape and tests their communication and organisation in either running with him from midfield or passing him on from midfield to defense. Chuck in that he's left footed and also got the ability to smack one in from 20 yards and there's a player in there.
He's had some pretty big flaws to his game too though - in his first two seasons, his first touch could occasionally be shocking, he'd be guilty of misplacing simple passes 2 or 3 times per game and he had little creativity, particularly around the box, where his short passing composure was awful. He's clearly worked very hard on that side of his game though and is improving season on season. Last year it was visible that his touch was more consistent, he was getting assists and contributing to the build up of play around the box.

With 100 games of experience at the age of 22, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if a few PL scouts were tracking his development this year - he has some stand out qualities and while his rough edges continue to get polished with every passing season, he'll be on team's radars until they see where his 'ceiling' is.
Great and honest assessment,Like you say premier teams will be watching to see if he can make that step up.
Personally I think he’ll play in the premier league in the next few years wether that’s with us or elsewhere!!

fatso

He’s still young, and he’s improving every season. A good bit of business by MR.

luwalla

Yeah fair play to him & the club... I’ll be honest I was one that wasn’t sure about him. Looks like he had a good footballing brain but always frustrated me the way he wouldn’t get stuck in. Stepped up last season though and I’m sure will continue to grow with age and experience

Kilclines curly mullet

I’m glad too. Gets stuck in and seems to pop up all over the pitch.

Happy knack of scoring key goals too, which I think is a reflection of his work rate as much as his finishing. Would be great to see him push on even more next season...
i don’t think I have ever seen Shipley get stuck in...its something he needs to improve on if he is going to make it as a decent Championship player.

SBAndy

Earned it, but slightly disappointing it's only for one extra year and he'll be 24 when it expires so could leave for nothing then. But who knows what might happen between now and then, and how he'll perform in the Championship.

I’d imagine there’s a further year option in our favour, following our model on contracts over the last few years.

Covkid1968#

He’s a down to earth bloke who is clearly a big character in the dressing room..... which can’t be easy now we know what some team mates are packing down below. Congratulations to our young Covkid ..... make us all proud lad.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that is down to him playing centrally, in his natural position. He was never a wide-left, but did a job there when he was cutting his teeth. I'd say he's been something of a revelation since playing consistently in the middle and the No.10 role is perfect for him. And he does have a cracking understanding with Godden.

Agreed that Westbrooke was quality last season, but I'd rank Shippers above him.

I first seen Shipley play CAM (behind JCH) in the FA Cup tie v Walsall back in 2018/19 (I think). Personally, I thought he looked quite good and saw something in him. Though admittedly, at the time that was probably a minority view.

Either way, consistent game time in that role and he’s does really well. 7 goals and 6 assists is a very good return too. Off the top of my head, a few of those goals were winning goals too.

He’s a good player, often underrated in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread