New captain (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

So with Sammy sideways and Keogh departed, who will be or is the right player to lead the team?

superskyblue

I think it should be Kilbane, but whenever he is unavailable (presuming he won't be fit enough to play all games) I think it should be Conor Thomas. Might be the making of him into a dominant player.

skybluegod

Imo it should be sheffers he knows the club and loves the club, kilbane is new and wont stay beyond this year and wood might not even be saying sheffers is a good choice.

torchomatic

Kilbane for me.

Greggs

Imo it should be sheffers he knows the club and loves the club, kilbane is new and wont stay beyond this year and wood might not even be saying sheffers is a good choice.

left the club for more money, failed and returned, never to find previous form. He is from Cov, make him captain....BLAH BLAH BLAH

sky_blue_up_north

What about one of the French guys likely to play more games than Kilbane

Nick

Administrator
Kilbane or Murphy I think.

McSheffrey shouldn't be captain based on where is from surely?

torchomatic

I don't like goalies being captain. I would go for a centre-back in the absence of a midfield general.

left the club for more money, failed and returned, never to find previous form. He is from Cov, make him captain....BLAH BLAH BLAH

i share your thoughts should be wood but looks as though hes offski. kilbane or one of the frenchies to confuse people, lol

torchomatic

With McSheff I would have thought it would be because he's a senior pro not necessarily because he's from the City.

Nick

Administrator
With McSheff I would have thought it would be because he's a senior pro not necessarily because he's from the City.

So are Bell and Baker ;)

I don't think Mcsheff would lead with a good example.

It is always hard to give somebody new the captains arm band like one of the defenders :( If Wood stays however he could do it!

mattylad

so you have never left a job for more money....oh god why am I even bothering

torchomatic

Yes, they are, but no one mentioned those two and I never mentioned McSheff. I said Killer Kilbane!

So are Bell and Baker ;)

I don't think Mcsheff would lead with a good example.

It is always hard to give somebody new the captains arm band like one of the defenders :( If Wood stays however he could do it!

torchomatic

OH, sorry.

AngryAnt

Sheffers is the safe choice, been at the club a while, knows how it works/old player. Kilbane would make a nice change. He might only be here for a season but he would probably be a better captain imo.

covcity4life

wouldnt it be nice to see sheffers lift the League One trophy...and the JPT........and the League cup..........and The FA Cup?

BigadamL

Thomas all the way! i bet he plays more than anybody this year! has been captain through every level he has played at with the skyblues.

meant to be a good leader, could be here for a few years aswell.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Richard Shaw! :)

With Kilbane he isn't going to play every game and I don't think a captains role should be part time.

I agree with Torchy that it shouldn't be a GK which rules out Smurf, Sheffers has looked ok with the armband in pre season, quite vocal, so my money would be on him, however it's a shame Fleck isn't a wee bit older as I'm sure he'd be suited to a captains role, telling his fellow pro's to sort it out. I don't think our players will want to be told by a 20 year old who thinks he knows it all (from what I've read, not what I've seen).

Thomas is far too young. I think we seen with Dann there was too much pressure when he had the armband.

That said if (and that IF just keeps getting bigger) we did get Jennings, Id like to see him given the armband. Was captain at Motherwell (wasn't he??) and is 27 so not too young to have it. I also think a captain should be a CB of CM.

Astute

Who has the most experience at both club and international level?Who can play the most positions? Who will have the most respect shown?Who is going to be giving his time for the younger players?Kilbane for me.I keep hearing on here that his legs have gone. Nothing to prove it though. Yes, he had an injury last season. I am glad none of our players got injured last season. If he has looked after himself over the years he could still have a few seasons left in him. What he might have lost in pace could easily be made up with experience.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Havent we had enough of weak captains who lack the ability to drive a team on ? Clingan wasnt a leader even though he was a leading character in the team. The same could be said of McSheffery, it might massage his ego a bit, might make a few fans think a Cov kid has been rewarded but to be honest he has shown precious little leadership skills in the past so why would he change now. It may well detract from the 1 in 5 good games he has.

Captain appointments should not be out of sentiment but out of what positive difference it makes by appointing that player

I would suggest Kilbane is a better candidate (has the experience, the work rate, the intelligence and will be at the heart of things in midfield) with Conor Thomas vice captain (young but composed, already a link between front and back of team and can learn from KK).

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Why does age matter ..... if the player has the right qualities then why not. Wales didnt have a problem appointing Ramsay when he was 20. Perhaps a little too soon for CT because he needs to focus on establishing himself in the team first, but like i said why not vice captain

Yorkshire SB

He left because the club were given a good offer for him, not for the money. Not to mention the fact it was an opportunity to play Premier League football

Yorkshire SB

I don't think Kilbane should get it purely because I don't think he'll play more than about 20-25 games. It's a bit of a ceremonial title anyway, when Kilbane is on he'll be a leader on the pitch as will the other experienced players. I think it could be a good thing for McSheffrey though, the added responsibility could add some consistency to his game, which he desperately needs

Astute

I don't think Kilbane should get it purely because I don't think he'll play more than about 20-25 games. It's a bit of a ceremonial title anyway, when Kilbane is on he'll be a leader on the pitch as will the other experienced players. I think it could be a good thing for McSheffrey though, the added responsibility could add some consistency to his game, which he desperately needs

As you say he is a leader. Who better to have as captain than a leader?

Users who are viewing this thread