Never really cut it (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

This morning I got to thinking about Covs signing policy for this season. Have we ever taken so many players on trial before signing (or not) before? I think that while we are in our current position this is a great move. There are many unattached players around who could do a job in this league, but knowing who will fit the bill is the biggest challenge.

This lead me to thinking about how much money we must have wasted in recent years signing players who we thought could do a job, but sadly failed to make much of an impression. I realise that this could be a long thread but the ones from recent years who came to mind were:

Freddy Eastwood
Michael McIndoe
Steven O'Halloran
Steven Wright
Clingan (bar his first season)
Baker (yet to live up to his potential)
ROD
Deegan
Kevin Thornton

I Know some of these didn't cost all that much, but i think that showing a little caution with signings is sensible. I (amongst others) was excited by the possible signing of the Brazilian, but it would seem that actually he didn't cut the mustard.

Thoughts?

stevo_ccfc

This morning I got to thinking about Covs signing policy for this season. Have we ever taken so many players on trial before signing (or not) before? I think that while we are in our current position this is a great move. There are many unattached players around who could do a job in this league, but knowing who will fit the bill is the biggest challenge.

This lead me to thinking about how much money we must have wasted in recent years signing players who we thought could do a job, but sadly failed to make much of an impression. I realise that this could be a long thread but the ones from recent years who came to mind were:

Freddy Eastwood
Michael McIndoe
Steven O'Halloran
Steven Wright
Clingan (bar his first season)
Baker (yet to live up to his potential)
ROD
Deegan
Kevin Thornton

I Know some of these didn't cost all that much, but i think that showing a little caution with signings is sensible. I (amongst others) was excited by the possible signing of the Brazilian, but it would seem that actually he didn't cut the mustard.

Thoughts?

thornton was from our academy...

Grendel

Before Westwood every goalkeeper we signed in the Championship - especially the foreign ones.

torchomatic

I think you have a point, Guy. When times are good (erm, probably not the right phrase but you know what I mean) then we can take risks on players...none more so that Dowie and some of the pap he brought in. Also, Strachan went mad on Hondurans for some reason.

Now we are financially hamstrung when it comes to player acquisition, so it's sensible to run the rule over them first. Pointless having Bruno if he wasn't going to play.

Grendel

I think you have a point, Guy. When times are good (erm, probably not the right phrase but you know what I mean) then we can take risks on players...none more so that Dowie and some of the pap he brought in. Also, Strachan went mad on Hondurans for some reason.

Now we are financially hamstrung when it comes to player acquisition, so it's sensible to run the rule over them first. Pointless having Bruno if he wasn't going to play.

I thought the Hondurans and the Purivian were actually signed by Richardson (can't think why)?

Strachan even admitted he had never heard of Zuniga until Richardson told him he had signed.

torchomatic

You could be right, D. I'm surprised I even remember that period as I have tried to block it out. With therapy I'll get there so eventually I'll be saying "Gordon who? Bryan Richardson? Never heard of him."

I thought the Hondurans and the Purivian were actually signed by Richardson (can't think why)?

Strachan even admitted he had never heard of Zuniga until Richardson told him he had signed.

torchomatic

As I said in another thread imagine if someone not regarded as a "legend" did the same....Bell, McSheff, Clingan, Deegan, the list goes on. Not acceptable no matter who the player is.

ccfcway

nothing anyone can say will tarnish my memory of sitting being the QPR goal on his debut and him banging in that overhead kick, legend from day one for me !

Nonleagueherewecome

He'd never heard of the then South American Golden Boot winner? Says a lot about Strachan I suppose.

torchomatic

torchomatic

Does it say "I'm a piss poor manager"! To be fair though, I was at Sheff Utd when one of the Hondurans scored. Can't remember which one though.

Says a lot about Strachan I suppose.

Nonleagueherewecome

Jairo Martinez. He played a fair bit after relegation. The LB, Guerrero, went on to have a decent career in MLS.

torchomatic

Apologies, I meant it doesn't make any difference to me. Each to their own.

It does to a lot of people. He wasn't wanted, so why should he have played?

Nonleagueherewecome

It does to a lot of people. He wasn't wanted, so why should he have played?

Stick it in the saddo thread where it belongs otherwise you'll be as bad as all those people that turn into every thread into a "Thorn is crap/bald/fat" thread!

Nonleagueherewecome

What about Runnar Norman? Was he a Richardson signing? Guess none of it was poor Wee Gordon's fault with a nasty baddy chairman like Richardson..

Astute

Stick it in the saddo thread where it belongs otherwise you'll be as bad as all those people that turn into every thread into a "Thorn is crap/bald/fat" thread!

You mean the saddo thread where you are a main contributor? ;)

Nonleagueherewecome

shmmeee

I'd argue about a few of those, though Wright was excellent when he played and several others did a job or weren't given a fair crack.

Every club has just as long a list of players like this though, it's just part of the game. There's also a list just as long of players we took a chance on and it paid off. No sense in dwelling on the failures.

SkyBlueGuy

Whilst I feel that this thread seems to hae gone rather off topic I will state that (whatever you think I him) Dion Dublin is one of our top all time scorers and also holds the record for most goals scored for coventry in the top flight in all competitions (23). So in the context of this thread I don't think he can be said to have never really cut it...

SkyBlueGuy

I'd argue about a few of those, though Wright was excellent when he played and several others did a job or weren't given a fair crack.

Every club has just as long a list of players like this though, it's just part of the game. There's also a list just as long of players we took a chance on and it paid off. No sense in dwelling on the failures.

That is very true (although I'm not sure if our list of successes is quite as long a list!). I'm just glad to see us using a little more caution with the signings. Having said that the new lot could all turn out to be rubbish! Fingers crossed!

Grendel

What about Runnar Norman? Was he a Richardson signing? Guess none of it was poor Wee Gordon's fault with a nasty baddy chairman like Richardson..

Dunno but as he didn't play perhaps he's a non-playing legend - never refused a to play a game.

Moff

Anyone over a certain age, ahem around 40 ish, will remember the icon that was Sandy Robertson.

At a time when 400k was a big money transfer we let successfull loanee Chris Marsden escape from under our noses and join the yams at Wolverhampton.
Due to this we splashed out 400k on the Rangers midfielder Sandy Roberston.

In a nutshell, he came, he was injured, he didnt play. I think he left after a couple of years after playing one full game and one substitute appearance for the first team.

Now thinking about Rangers I have begun to think of others they ripped us off with.....Butcher (400k and injured), Steven Pressley, Colin Hendry.....aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh.

Grendel

Was Kevin Drinkalot from there as well?

Users who are viewing this thread