Netflix - The Haunting of Hill House (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I'm really not sure what is terrifying about it.

Kids look at something and the eyes change and look evil.

Somebody is dreaming about a loved one and their face changes to look evil then they wake up in a sweat realising it was a nightmare.

Rinse and repeat.

Maybe the reviewers just need to man up a bit or they are on about bits further on that I haven't seen yet.

Otis

Watched the first one. Liked it.

Found some of the modern day stuff a little bit stodgy, but guessed they were just trying to introduce the characters and give us some background.

Only thing that is confusing me is that the sisters do look very alike a lot of the time, and I can't work out which is which until they say who they are to another character, or it is mentioned by someone.

Got confused by the Theodora and Shirley situation, cos Theodora brought a woman back to the funeral parlour, yet it is Shirley that works there, so I thought Theodora was Shirley.

Other than that ( and the odd father differing actors, yet the age gap doesn't appear to match thing) I liked it.

Did find it a little scary.

How are you watching it? What sort of sound system etc?

I watched with a good pair of headphones on and then I get the sound effects and incidental music really coming through, which adds to the tension.

Just a simple thing of the dad's head hitting the pillow after a build up in the immediate scene before.

Just the episode could have been shorter I think.

Nick

Administrator
Watching it on surround sound with a big sub so it does get to you from all angles

It took me a while to figure out who's who as well. New random kids kept appearing

Otis

Watching it on surround sound with a big sub so it does get to you from all angles

It took me a while to figure out who's who as well. New random kids kept appearing
Ha, yes.

Could have sworn in the first episode there were just 4 kids! It just showed 4 kids.

There was the two little kids in the one bedroom (Nell and Luke) and then the brother Steven who comes in to check on them in the night and then Shirley who is talking in her sleep.

Didn't mention Theodora.

Then when they 'escape' from Hill House there are just 4 kids in the car.

I actually went back and freeze framed it because I got confused.

So, 4 and then 4 again.

Suddenly, out of the blue is Theodora and when she goes to the bar and chats up that woman, she gives her name as Theodora and so I assumed it was Shirley giving a false name. Ha!

Otis

Yeah. Just checked. Henry Thomas is 47 and Timothy Hutton is 58.

Doesn't work at all well. When you usually have that differential you would cast the same actor and make him look older.

Nick

Administrator
Ha, yes.

Could have sworn in the first episode there were just 4 kids! It just showed 4 kids.

There was the two little kids in the one bedroom (Nell and Luke) and then the brother Steven who comes in to check on them in the night and then Shirley who is talking in her sleep.

Didn't mention Theodora.

Then when they 'escape' from Hill House there are just 4 kids in the car.

I actually went back and freeze framed it because I got confused.

So, 4 and then 4 again.

Suddenly, out of the blue is Theodora and when she goes to the bar and chats up that woman, she gives her name as Theodora and so I assumed it was Shirley giving a false name. Ha!

I thought she was a lodger to start off with.

Otis

I thought she was a lodger to start off with.
Did it mention that then?

I didn't recall it ever being mentioned in the past scenario. It was only in modern day I noticed she was staying with Shirley.

Maybe I missed it.

Nick

Administrator
Did it mention that then?

I didn't recall it ever being mentioned in the past scenario. It was only in modern day I noticed she was staying with Shirley.

Maybe I missed it.

I just meant when a random woman lives in a house at the end of her drive.

It is all a bit confusing when people just turn up and you are expected to know who they are.

I think they are trying to give you more and more info per episode, each one is focused on a different person.

It would have helped to give you an idea at the start who was who.

I still have no idea who or what is meant to be haunting them or if they all have mental issues are imagining it.

Otis

I just meant when a random woman lives in a house at the end of her drive.

It is all a bit confusing when people just turn up and you are expected to know who they are.

I think they are trying to give you more and more info per episode, each one is focused on a different person.

It would have helped to give you an idea at the start who was who.

I still have no idea who or what is meant to be haunting them or if they all have mental issues are imagining it.
Maybe that's the whole point! ;)

Otis

I am now on episode 4.

Don't have any problem with any new characters. All seems to make perfect sense to me and all are explained straight away to my mind . :)

The time jumps are all clearly signposted (you should watch Westworld, where you never know when it is).

I am enjoying it, but don't quite understand the absolutely fantastic reviews it has been getting.

As it stands, I would say maybe 7/10.

Personally, I don't find it confusing at all.

Nick

Administrator
I am now on episode 4.

Don't have any problem with any new characters. All seems to make perfect sense to me and all are explained straight away to my mind . :)

The time jumps are all clearly signposted (you should watch Westworld, where you never know when it is).

I am enjoying it, but don't quite understand the absolutely fantastic reviews it has been getting.

As it stands, I would say maybe 7/10.

Personally, I don't find it confusing at all.
Are you really scared? :)

Otis

Do you mind telling me which new characters you are on about?

Was just thinking and can't really think of anyone really. Not past partners of the main characters, who you see with those characters anyway so it all makes sense.

Trying to think of who you might mean.

So far I have only witnessed the 5 main kids and mum and dad and the housekeepers and then partners of the 5 main characters. Only other new characters I can think of is Theodora's clients.

I can get confused easily with some programmes, but do find this one particularly easy to follow. :)

Otis

Are you really scared? :)
Just fleeting moments it makes me shiver. That's the way I like it though. Don't like gore and lots of violence.

I'm in the Hitchcock 'It's what you don't see that scares you' camp.

I think it is just more psychological and tense than scary.

Nick

Administrator
Do you mind telling me which new characters you are on about?

Was just thinking and can't really think of anyone really. Not past partners of the main characters, who you see with those characters anyway so it all makes sense.

Trying to think of who you might mean.

So far I have only witnessed the 5 main kids and mum and dad and the housekeepers and then partners of the 5 main characters. Only other new characters I can think of is Theodora's clients.

I can get confused easily with some programmes, but do find this one particularly easy to follow. :)
It was more to do with the first couple.

Oh, who's the child therapist. Who's Luke? Who's that random woman telling the kids off etc.

Then you need to wait until "their" episode to know who it is.

Otis

It was more to do with the first couple.

Oh, who's the child therapist. Who's Luke? Who's that random woman telling the kids off etc.

Then you need to wait until "their" episode to know who it is.
Oh, you must have missed it then. Introduced Luke and Nell in the very first few scenes. Two of the kids living in Hill house. Steve, Theodora, Shirley, Luke and Nell.

You then saw all of them grown up. Made perfect sense to me.

Introduced all the names in that very first episode, so when they were talking about Luke when they were all grown up I knew exactly who it was.

The woman telling the kids off was the housekeeper. Thought it gave that away really early on too. Mrs. Dudley.

Otis

Episode 4!

Now that WAS scary!

If I just say 'floating man' I think you will know what I mean.

That did freak me.

Grendel

I guess this is nothing like the films then?

Grendel

Nope. Complete diversion away from the book and film.

I am liking it, but not finding it as brilliant as the reviewers have been saying it is.

I don’t subscribe to Netflix suprised it’s not on a sky channel - it does attract high ratings

Otis

It's a family living in Hill House as children, switching them to present day and how it has affected all of their lives.

Just trying to think about what great shows you are missing out on in not having Netflix.

Were you into Breaking Bad? Would guess if you were you would have wanted to see Better Call Saul.

Otis

Now up to episode 7.

Enjoying it a lot now, as it works even just as a drama about the conflict and breakup of a family.

Had a few jump out of my skin moments and I see some are saying they cannot sleep after it and have even passed out.

Wouldn't go that far, but did have to stop watching it last night because it was freaking me out a bit. It was nearly midnight and I was sitting alone in the dark (a normal Otis day if truth be known) and I thought it best to switch it off as it was getting scary.

Back watching this morning. :)

Otis

Erm.....

You may wish to Google the ending.

Finished, but that last episode is .....

Well, let me know.

Otis

Yeah. Last episode rather confusing. Was for me anyway. Got a lot of it, but some bits had me scratching my head.

Had to Google and now it all makes sense.

Would say the episodes leading up to the final episode are better than the final episode itself.

Otis

Just watched episode six, why didn't Henry Thomas play both parts
Exactly my question. Doesn't make sense. There is just not the differential in age between Thomas and Timothy Hutton to warrant having a different actor.

Didn't make sense at all.

Otis

Henry Thomas is 47, though probably looks older and Timothy Hutton is 58.

It was very, very odd casting. Wasn't it supposed to be something like 26 years later to when the kids had become adults in the present day?

If they chose Henry Thomas, then the older Hugh Crain had to be played by someone much, much older than Timothy Hutton.

Should have really been an actor in his 70's, or they should have aged Henry Thomas.

Nick

Administrator
I gave up, saw a bit on Gogglebox where they are arguing in the car though. Looked scary!

Users who are viewing this thread