Nationalism (3 Viewers)

Grendel

The amazing thing is most people on here seem to be envious of those who lived in the thatcher era

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Well that's what I'm on about since we were talking about buying houses
You mentioned "credit" which usually refers to non mortgage loans. Credit may be more difficult to come by since 2008, but it was never that easy to come by up until the end of the 1980s.

Brighton Sky Blue

Nearly 40% of people 25 -34 have a mortgage?

I'm one of them. What is also awkwardly true is that home ownership among that age group is much lower than in previous decades and more of them rent than buy. You also can't really argue with the fact that house prices have soared and mortgages are not offered on anything like the generous terms they once were.

Grendel

I'm one of them. What is also awkwardly true is that home ownership among that age group is much lower than in previous decades and more of them rent than buy. You also can't really argue with the fact that house prices have soared and mortgages are not offered on anything like the generous terms they once were.

Bring back thatcher

Brighton Sky Blue

Bring back thatcher

Deregulation of and over reliance on financial services is what caused 2008. The greed is good mentality she encouraged has helped to foster the vain materialism you and others seem to take issue with.

Or are we now accepting that home ownership has fallen sharply among those under 45 while the % of them renting has increased, concurrent with a surge in house prices among other things?

Grendel

Deregulation of and over reliance on financial services is what caused 2008. The greed is good mentality she encouraged has helped to foster the vain materialism you and others seem to take issue with.

Or are we now accepting that home ownership has fallen sharply among those under 45 while the % of them renting has increased, concurrent with a surge in house prices among other things?

this is now a low interest society and it has its benefits and its negatives - I think you would be happier now having a mortgage than 1990 - you wouldn’t have coped.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's the population in the UK now compared with 1970 I wonder ? I'm assuming availability of property has not kept pace with population growth. I've always assumed that but never really checked.

Brighton Sky Blue

this is now a low interest society and it has its benefits and its negatives - I think you would be happier now having a mortgage than 1990 - you wouldn’t have coped.

I wouldn't have needed as large a mortgage in the first place

Brighton Sky Blue

What's the population in the UK now compared with 1970 I wonder ? I'm assuming availability of property has not kept pace with population growth. I've always assumed that but never really checked.

It'll be a contributing factor that would seem to support what I'm saying. You could also look at the impact on the housing market of around 100,000 divorces a year

Grendel

I wouldn't have needed as large a mortgage in the first place

Mine was £30,000 and the payments almost doubled in a year And the house value collapsed by 12% negative equity and all that. Lovely entitled days though

Brighton Sky Blue

Mine was £30,000 and the payments almost doubled in a year And the house value collapsed by 12% negative equity and all that. Lovely entitled days though

Mine is £250,000

Grendel

Mine is £250,000

means nothing though as the house is worth far more. In the end it’s monthly payments to income that matters and just imagine if those rates went to 16%

Brighton Sky Blue

means nothing though as the house is worth far more. In the end it’s monthly payments to income that matters and just imagine if those rates went to 16%

It does mean something as it took us longer to save for the higher deposit that is generally required now compared to pre-2008. The salient facts are that the % of people below 45 owning a house has gone down sharply, the % renting has gone up. The empirical data would seem to show that it's harder to buy a house now for younger people than their counterparts decades before.

Grendel

It does mean something as it took us longer to save for the higher deposit that is generally required now compared to pre-2008. The salient facts are that the % of people below 45 owning a house has gone down sharply, the % renting has gone up. The empirical data would seem to show that it's harder to buy a house now for younger people than their counterparts decades before.

That’s mainly because of scrutiny of lenders so repossessions are a lot less which is surely a good thing - some houses in Coventry look really cheap?

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s mainly because of scrutiny of lenders so repossessions are a lot less which is surely a good thing - some houses in Coventry look really cheap?

We were paying £875 a month in rent for a 2 bed terraced house in Stoke. Renting generally costs a higher % of people's income than mortgage payments which makes it more difficult to put money aside for a deposit. It's a good thing that daft mortgages are a thing of the past but it's just one part of the picture of fewer people in permanent employment, high house prices and more people privately renting than before

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I wonder what percentage of those who rent actually do not want a mortgage and are quite happy to rent. I suppose back in my dad's day everyone wanted to buy. Renting was far less common than it is now.
With less jobs for life and lower security there must be a fair number who actually prefer to rent and perhaps some who could even afford to buy but don't want to.

Brighton Sky Blue

I wonder what percentage of those who rent actually do not want a mortgage and are quite happy to rent. I suppose back in my dad's day everyone wanted to buy. Renting was far less common than it is now.
With less jobs for life and lower security there must be a fair number who actually prefer to rent and perhaps some who could even afford to buy but don't want to.

I'm happier paying my own mortgage than someone else's.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’ve got a mortgage until I’m 68 and had one since I was 26

Because you've chosen to change your house to a bigger, more expensive one. You've made the choice to continue having a mortgage. What age would you have paid the mortgage of your very first house off by?

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So the mortgage is over 8 times larger than yours. So are his wages over 8 times more than yours were at the time? Can't do a direct comparison without asking personal information of you both regarding earnings so if we take the average annual income of £35k for today, that would mean wages would have to have been around £4,200 at the time you bought your house to be equivalent. Now I don't know what age you are so I've no idea when you got your first mortgage but you seem to be talking around the Thatcher era so I looked it up and the average UK salary in 1980 was £5,720 and in 1985 was £8,890 (non London)

So if you bought in 1985 the average earnings were over double what the equivalent house price rise has been.

Or put it another way the equivalent mortgage as a percentage of average wages would've been £41k in 1980 and £63,500 in 1985

Brighton Sky Blue

So the mortgage is over 8 times larger than yours. So are his wages over 8 times more than yours were at the time? Can't do a direct comparison without asking personal information of you both regarding earnings so if we take the average annual income of £35k for today, that would mean wages would have to have been around £4,200 at the time you bought your house to be equivalent. Now I don't know what age you are so I've no idea when you got your first mortgage but you seem to be talking around the Thatcher era so I looked it up and the average UK salary in 1980 was £5,720 and in 1985 was £8,890 (non London)

So if you bought in 1985 the average earnings were over double what the equivalent house price rise has been.

Or put it another way the equivalent mortgage as a percentage of average wages would've been £41k in 1980 and £63,500 in 1985

Average annual salary is £27k I think.

Grendel

Because you've chosen to change your house to a bigger, more expensive one. You've made the choice to continue having a mortgage. What age would you have paid the mortgage of your very first house off by?

No I used an extended mortgage for other reasons and cashed an endowment in for an investment - all about choices

Users who are viewing this thread