National Anthems (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Boring Sunday afternoon thread, but besides God Save The Queen whats your favourite?

I'm a big F1 fan and know a few due to that, but feel there's something special about the Italian National Anthem not replicated in another one.

Irish Sky Blue

Boring Sunday afternoon thread, but besides God Save The Queen whats your favourite?

I'm a big F1 fan and know a few due to that, but feel there's something special about the Italian National Anthem not replicated in another one.
I was at Craven Cottage a few years ago for a friendly between Ireland and Italy. The ground was full and split 50/50 between the Irish and the Italians. I have to say that the singing of the Italian anthem was one of the highlights of the evening. To a man and woman they blasted out that song. To describe their performance as thunderous doesn't do it justice. It was wonderful.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Only issue I have with national anthems is they feed the nationalist mindset. Flags and anthems are there as a psychological tactic in warfare to make your troops fight harder. Fine for stuff like sport I guess but does instil a feeling of animosity between peoples. They're not good for the human race as a whole.

D

Deleted member 4439

The only national anthem that matters

old:

new:

D

Deleted member 4439

Ours should be Vow to thee my Country.

Beautiful tune. Was always the first song out of the hat after a few beers whenever my brother-in-law (army) and Dad (navy) got together in the house. Not sure that all the "bounds increase(d)" were "paved with peace" mind...

Going off-piste here, but they always ended their singsong with The Day Thou Gavest - a song that is guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes even though I'm not religious.

Philosorapter

I was a huge Command & Conquer fan once upon a time.

If you've never played the game before when you used to attack with your army the music would change and get louder.

This was the Soviet music when you attacked which is just the best.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’ve much preferred Jerusalem (which I think plays before Ashes matches) for an English anthem. While it’s not their national anthem I really like Ireland’s Call

Sky Blue Pete

Used to always be in tears listening to all the rugby anthems. The South African one in 5 of the most common 11 languages is absolutely awesome. Especially when it’s done at Rugby

Watch this?

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

French and Welsh
You can tell that the Welsh kids still sing far more in school than the English. When Cardiff or Swansea supporters belt out a tune ( men of Harlech quite often) they really are a cut above.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I was at a Coldplay concert in Cardiff a couple of years ago and Rob Bryson came out at the end and sang the welsh anthem he/it was bloody amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread