Nathan Clarke (1 Viewer)

Otis

Ha, ha!!

Only just noticed the date of it. :) Thought it was a post from today.

That will teach me to pay more attention in future won't it.

Never noticed that post before.

Nick

Administrator
He's awful and at least a stone overweight

Really don't get how a pro footballer can be, it's their job. They will have people at the club cooking them proper food, they will be being paid to be in the gym, they will have nutritionalists etc.

Does my head in, whether they are playing matches or not. General fitness is different.

Doing that for a full time job I'd make sure I was a machine.

I remember I think Simon Jordan saying about a player who had a body fat % clause in their contract, every player should have.

shmmeee

It's like being two footed. Fucking train your shit foot FFS.

I could accept the high wages if it meant they basically gave over their life for ten years or so, but they seen to treat it as a part time job.

There's blokes in the army earning a quarter of their wage who keep themselves in far better shape. And risk getting killed. Worst you'll get as a footballer is a mean tweet.

Nick

Administrator

I could accept the high wages if it meant they basically gave over their life for ten years or so, but they seen to treat it as a part time job.

There's blokes in the army earning a quarter of their wage who keep themselves in far better shape. And risk getting killed. Worst you'll get as a footballer is a mean tweet.

Exactly!

There is also that the better you are, the better you are going to be able to play, which means the more you will be paid.

I'd love to have a physio, nutritionist, cook (at Ryton), free gym, sports scientists and then playing football 3 or 4 hours a day and then the gym for 2 more.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Only seen Clarke once vs Wimbledon away and thought he was good there, but prone to the odd fuck up as most League 1 defenders are. Shocking defending for those Bury goals though, that non-tackle is ridiculous.

Whoever comes in for League 2 next year HAS to sort the back 4 out.

eastwoodsdustman

Only seen Clarke once vs Wimbledon away and thought he was good there, but prone to the odd fuck up as most League 1 defenders are. Shocking defending for those Bury goals though, that non-tackle is ridiculous.

Worst thing about the second goal at Bury was that Rawson was stood on the corner of the box watching what was happening. His positioning and shape was dreadful.

clint van damme

People were complaining that we were having to play our youngsters, and other clubs youngsters on loan, and that they didn't cut it in the rough and tumble of Div 3. So the club brings in some experience and now we want to play our own youngsters, even the U18s. The sort of experience we need is not going to come to a low wage club. We can only get players who are going one season too long.

I think it's the poor quality short term loans that are the problem. Ideally we would bring in players of the right age and experience on longer term contracts but if we can't then surely our youngsters are a better option than the short term, poor quality loans.
I'm still of the opinion that you could attract better quality players for below the going rate if we offered longer term contracts.
There is a lot of uncertainty and short termism in the lower leagues, I think players would come for a bit less than what they were worth if they had longer contracts. Of course it would need funding through the close season which our owners haven't got any intention of doing.
I'm not suggesting we could assemble the whole squad this way but even if we could get the nucleus of the side it would help bring some stability and allow the manger to plan better.
Trying to cobble a team together at the last minute has been disastrous.

steve82

The job is huge, the whole back 5 needs rebuilding, starting with a keeper is a must.
Clarke's been fairly robust generally but for Oldham, and last 2 games he's been poor.
Everything we need in a leader and in the air, but will get turned easily if he gets in too tight, not the quickest at all.
A pair of Clarke and Willis will prove useful.

Otis

The job is huge, the whole back 5 needs rebuilding, starting with a keeper is a must.
Clarke's been fairly robust generally but for Oldham, and last 2 games he's been poor.
Everything we need in a leader and in the air, but will get turned easily if he gets in too tight, not the quickest at all.
A pair of Clarke and Willis will prove useful.
I can accept the odd poor game though, Steve, but for Clarke to put in two non-existent tackles in two consecutive matches, that worryingly points to something much worse to my mind.

To me that points to a lack of appetite and desire. A lack of effort. He just doesn't seem that type of player, but I can't think why else he would go into challenges with such powderpuff efforts.

If he was carrying an injury I could accept it more, but we now have enough options at the back for him to be rested if that was the case.

I just find it bizarre that he is being the exact opposite of the player we expected him to be.

Instead of being the strong, commanding, consistent, hard crunching tackling type of player, we have had a mistake riddled player putting in incredibly soft challenges.

It really feels to me like his heart's not in it.

steve82

I can accept the odd poor game though, Steve, but for Clarke to put in two non-existent tackles in two consecutive matches, that worryingly points to something much worse to my mind.

To me that points to a lack of appetite and desire. A lack of effort. He just doesn't seem that type of player, but I can't think why else he would go into challenges with such powderpuff efforts.

If he was carrying an injury I could accept it more, but we now have enough options at the back for him to be rested if that was the case.

I just find it bizarre that he is being the exact opposite of the player we expected him to be.

Instead of being the strong, commanding, consistent, hard crunching tackling type of player, we have had a mistake riddled player putting in incredibly soft challenges.

It really feels to me like his heart's not in it.

Yeah I know I agree on what we've seen from him lately, could not believe it when I seen it on the highlights.
X2 shocking back to back games he's had.
This is where big decisions from the club need making for next season, and plans putting in place. Clarke will be gone in the summer unless slade is told the jobs yours.
With so many players out of contact and likely to be sold so much is in the air.
Do you go back to Willis and Turnbull who've equally been just as bad and powderpuff over the season?
I'm out of answers to pick the right 11... I've very few deserved starters on my team sheet for Shrewsbury

stevefloyd

I should think that no ones hearts still in it now...all resigned to soaking up the rays on the beach whilst their respective agents find some other mugs to pay them for not showing up

Otis

Yeah I know I agree on what we've seen from him lately, could not believe it when I seen it on the highlights.
X2 shocking back to back games he's had.
This is where big decisions from the club need making for next season, and plans putting in place. Clarke will be gone in the summer unless slade is told the jobs yours.
With so many players out of contact and likely to be sold so much is in the air.
Do you go back to Willis and Turnbull who've equally been just as bad and powderpuff over the season?
I'm out of answers to pick the right 11... I've very few deserved starters on my team sheet for Shrewsbury
Yep.

If you look at who deserves a place on Saturday I think you will struggle to look past Beavon, G Thomas and Reilly.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Yep completely agree, so many players likely to be leaving in the summer with a ton contracts undoubtedly not being renewed and loans expiring. Will be yet another change the entire squad job and need to give the new bloke some time to see the current dross in action, get a feel for the club etc etc. Can’t afford to fuck it up yet again in the summer Mowbray-style. Really fucks me off how we consistently get recruitment wrong year after sodding year.

steve82

Yep completely agree, so many players likely to be leaving in the summer with a ton contracts undoubtedly not being renewed and loans expiring. Will be yet another change the entire squad job and need to give the new bloke some time to see the current dross in action, get a feel for the club etc etc. Can’t afford to fuck it up yet again in the summer Mowbray-style. Really fucks me off how we consistently get recruitment wrong year after sodding year.

It's failure to recognise the level we're actually at and size of club we've really become.
We're not a big club, a pull, to most players in there late teens, mid twenties don't look at cov as a ex premiership club, a club once with a proud history. were miles away from them days and so are the players
We need to use this years chance to clear the decks with so many out of contract, a team of characters with a fighting spirit with a never give up mentality. Add in your talented players and a recognised seasoned keeper and the hopeful 20 + goal striker and you've a base to build upon.
It has to be this summer tho

Otis

Why can't we actually find someone who can spot talent even when his life depends on it
What we need is someone to spot talent while they are still talent.

We seem to keep bringing in people based on past glories (Clarke, the Bulgarian international, Gadzhev) or be expecting them to still be the same player they were years previous.

Either that or we have a tendancy to bring in young players (this season anyway) who are just as raw as our own kids.

We know it will be an almost total clear out this summer and I for one will not be unhappy with that at all. There is hardly anyone I WOULD want to keep.

Reilly would be brilliant in League Two, but we don't have a cat in hell's chance of keeping him. Beavon would be great in League Two as well and I do have my fingers heavily crossed that we can get to keep him here.

We need to get rid of Reid and Rose and Gadhzev for starters. Just plain awful. We know Lameiras, Willis and Stokes and Haynes will be gone. Someone may well take Turnbull too, as too, Bigi. Harries and Stevenson I just can't see playing in League Two, so expect their departure as well.

Looks like we will only have G Thomas, DKE, possibly Kwame Thomas and possibly Stuart Beavon left for the outfield.

Don't think I have missed anyone have I?

But wow, talk about a rebuild!!!! A massive task at hand.

eastwoodsdustman

Clarke struggled over the last 2 games with players movement especially with Obika dropping deep on Saturday. Its up to the other defenders to help him out a bit and at least cover when he has to push on to his man. Missing a tackle in midfield shouldn't be down to him, its down to the midfielders not covering their men. He's been left a bit high and dry and its made him look worse than he is. Similar thing happened with Turnbull covering the arse of the full back from west ham earlier in the season.

Otis

Clarke struggled over the last 2 games with players movement especially with Obika dropping deep on Saturday. Its up to the other defenders to help him out a bit and at least cover when he has to push on to his man. Missing a tackle in midfield shouldn't be down to him, its down to the midfielders not covering their men. He's been left a bit high and dry and its made him look worse than he is. Similar thing happened with Turnbull covering the arse of the full back from west ham earlier in the season.
Can't excuse Clarke at all I don't think.

Doesn't matter about defenders helping out. That tackle near the half way line was his to win. The amount of effort he puts into that tackle is absolutely outrageous.

I liked him when he first came and he did have a couple of good games, but those two challenges in the last two matches are inexcusable.

He should be winning both those challenges.100%.

eastwoodsdustman

Wi
Can't excuse Clarke at all I don't think.

Doesn't matter about defenders helping out. That tackle near the half way line was his to win. The amount of effort he puts into that tackle is absolutely outrageous.

I liked him when he first came and he did have a couple of good games, but those two challenges in the last two matches are inexcusable.

He should be winning both those challenges.100%.

He should win them but no defender wins every tackle in every game, without looking back Otis, I'm sure he's missed tackles in other games and he's got away with them as other people have covered accross. They should be working for eachother and covering eachother.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Exactly - so why not play Willis next to him who actually has a bit of pace to drop and cover him? Nah it's cool we'll play him RB cause he bombs forward like Cafu

steve82

Exactly - so why not play Willis next to him who actually has a bit of pace to drop and cover him? Nah it's cool we'll play him RB cause he bombs forward like Cafu

I don't understand why people see Willis playing at right back as so out of position. It's not his best position but he can play that role and did a lot under Steven Pressley and Tony Mowbray.
Altho he don't do the attacking full back role he is mobile enough and quick to supposedly form a solid defensive back 4 wall in that position

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Any excuse to post this - www.supportersnotcustomers.com/2013/09/08/soldiers-should-get-footballers-wages

saltaire bantam

Not wanting to stick the boot in (not at all) but you are the worst team, by far, in L1. Is it a coincidence an experienced CB looks poor now and again? We let him go because we had too many good CB's, straight after he went we lost Matt Killgallon for the season, then Vincelot's lack of height caused him to be moved into midfield. If you asked Bradford City fans now if they'd like Clarke back, they'd say "yes".

fernandopartridge

Not wanting to stick the boot in (not at all) but you are the worst team, by far, in L1. Is it a coincidence an experienced CB looks poor now and again? We let him go because we had too many good CB's, straight after he went we lost Matt Killgallon for the season, then Vincelot's lack of height caused him to be moved into midfield. If you asked Bradford City fans now if they'd like Clarke back, they'd say "yes".
Have him. Our biggest problem is scoring goals, Clarke was the cure for an illness that didn't exist.

Otis

Have you had chance to look at the goals he has been responsible for in the last two matches, SB?

Two against Swindon and the second goal against Bury.

If you get chance can you go and take a look and let me know if that is out of character for him?

The one on Tuesday can only be described as a non-tackle.

skyblueeyesrevisited

The Tom Pope goal was ridiculous when do you see a centre forward stood on his own 20 yards from goal. There wasn't a city defender within 10 yards.

stevefloyd

How is Vincelott doing for you this season.... gladly take him back

saltaire bantam

How is Vincelott doing for you this season.... gladly take him back

He's played very well, early on he was surprisingly a CB partnering another new arrival (& another poached captain) Knight-Percival from Shrewsbury. RV looked a better CB than him, but teams started targeting him, we already a small team and at 5'10" he was struggling under the barrage of high balls. Rory McArdle came back in at CB, RV has moved back into midfield and he's done well there too, he was the best player of the pitch on Saturday, driving the team on non bleedin stop.

saltaire bantam

Have you had chance to look at the goals he has been responsible for in the last two matches, SB?

Two against Swindon and the second goal against Bury.

If you get chance can you go and take a look and let me know if that is out of character for him?

The one on Tuesday can only be described as a non-tackle.

Hmm, looked poor.............. all I can say is he was never first choice at Bradford, but every time he came in, we never missed whoever was injured, he never put a foot wrong and the fans took to him, playing as he did yet knowing held be dumped as soon as McArdle (or whoever) recovered. But we were a top 6 side, same as this season, it's easier I suppose. I'd swap him for Knight-Percival right now.

Users who are viewing this thread