Narrowminded idiot. (1 Viewer)

Donnie Brasco

While that is great for the club and it will create a fantastic atmosphere on the night it has to be asked "where have all these fans been and where are they coming from ?
Then again with tickets only costing a Fiver and the possibility of a day out at Wembley if the City get through to the Final you can see the reason why.
But when you follow the Sky Blues week in and week out and look around the Ricoh at a less than half full stadium you think to yourself we need more fans turning up and getting behind the team.
I stand in Singers Corner at home games and see the same faces there at every match and you know they'll be there the next game and the one after that and so on and so on.
In other words they are true supporters of Coventry City Football Club the life blood of our beloved Sky Blues. The hardcore and the backbone is how I would describe them and without them where would the club be ?

http://www.coventrycitybanter.co.uk...h+CCFC+fans,+staff+writers+and++club+legends)

I think you will find Mr, that these supporters that are going to turn up on Tuesday are the lifeblood of the club. The Club would be bigger and plying their trade in the upper Echelons IF everyone at the JPT match turned up every game.

Why do some people think that because they attend every game they are better/more important fans? If anything they are less important as they are already spending the most they are going to, if the club want to increase revenue then these regular fans are not a good place to start looking.

Changeyourface

Regular fans probably feel that we are more important because we follow the club through all the shit unlike the people who you feel are "more important". If wewere all like that then there would be no club to support.

Donnie Brasco

If the club wants to move forwards then it's important to retain some of these irregular fans that don't go to all the matches. If they could do that then the club would have the potential to grow.

Changeyourface

If the club wants to move forwards then it's important to retain some of these irregular fans that don't go to all the matches. If they could do that then the club would have the potential to grow.

True, but I still don't see your logic when you say that fans who attend maybe once a season are more important than fans who attend most games.

coundonskyblue

I think some people would prefer it if there was 10k up there next week. Then they could all have a good moan about how rubbish our support is.

Donnie Brasco

True, but I still don't see your logic when you say that fans who attend maybe once a season are more important than fans who attend most games.

In marketing and growth terms. Die hards that have their Season Tickets this season are really going to be there no matter how low the club sinks.

skyblueman

Personally I'm chuffed to bits it's sold out.. thank God they are still out there .. the lapsed Cov fans - at least it proves they haven't all gone over to Man U & Chelsea and the like or given up on football completely - remember if we don't have potential for BIG support then we are finished in the top leagues - so get off your soap boxes 'super fans' and welcome them back

ShInnbob

I welcome them back. I don't care for the arguement about true fans or not. The club charge £24 for a home game, do you really expect many people to show then for this standard of football?

Being stood there in the cold watching Burton midweek with less than 5k in attendance I still enjoyed it. Why must people constantly argue about this?

RichieGunns

Personally I'm chuffed to bits it's sold out.. thank God they are still out there .. the lapsed Cov fans - at least it proves they haven't all gone over to Man U & Chelsea and the like or given up on football completely - remember if we don't have potential for BIG support then we are finished in the top leagues - so get off your soap boxes 'super fans' and welcome them back

I haven't been able to go to a game for some time due to my career and my debt problems but I'm no lapsed fan as you put it Skyblueman!

I've supported the city through thick and thin since I was a kid and just because I don't go to games on a regular basis doesn't mean i'm any less of a skyblue fan than the next!

But i'm not having a go at you SBM. Just at the idiots who believe they are better because they shell out money week in week out to go to the matches.

Believe me, if i had that sorta money and the time, I'd be doing exactly the same thing.

The difference is, I wouldn't think I was superior like so many regulars believe they are!

I'd just be content that I was there watching my football team play and any extras fan would be welcome! Because as someone said on here "We're all Sky Blue fans and we should stick together, not be fighting each other over whose better than who!"

We're the fecking Sky Blue Army! Now show'um your arses lmao :D

Paxman II

This debate will run and run. It's always going to be down to opinions.

The truth of the matter is there are plenty of football fans who would watch the Sky Blues if there is something worth watching.
League 1 football has diminished some support which I can understand. A lack of success in terms of progress since relegation from the big time also produces disinchantment. Not too surprising though is it?

A hard core of support like their football regardless and that's great. Nothing wrong with that. They gotta' be better fans than most to spend their time and cash to do that with little sign of any sustained success and I applaud that.

But it certainly does not lesson the credentilas of any fan who wishes to still attend when he chooses. I'm one of those myself but really can't be tempted to attend very often to watch such mediocre football when it cost a packet for the day.
That's why when there is some success people will consider making more time, spend the money more often and prove beyond doubt there is support out there waiting for something other than the great fall from grace we have witnessed the last 12 seasons.

If you come from Coventry and I was born and raised there, then you will always be passionate about your football club through thick and thin. When the thin gets too much you will support more irregular for sure. It's life and that's why league one club attendances are what they are and the same for the Championship. Nothing cynical going on here.

If we get back to the big time the interest in attending will rocket and why wouldn't it?

The chance to watch us play in a final at Wembley again is inspiring to many regardless of it being a tin pot trophy! It's there to be won.
That's the key word for success - winning. As with Southampton before us it's what the win in this trophy could do to inspire more success on the pitch that fans will be hoping for.

skyblueinBaku

The idea that one fan is more important to the club than another fan is nonsense. What is important is that the club recognises the potential of the lapsed or occasional fans and does everything it can to make them regulars.

wal3590

I agree! People need to get off their high horses. Everyone will be there to support their team on Tuesday.. Thats all it comes down to!

Last edited by a moderator:

Donnie Brasco

Any site with 'banter' in the title, you've got to expect a slurry of shit.

I was suprised to see that it's published by the Telegraph, although we all know they feed us tripe on a daily basis.

I was just astounded that people have this opinion when they are educated and rational enough to write such a significant article without seeing the flaws in their ideology.

Ashdown1

Football clubs like any business survive on profitable revenue, that means regular income mainly from a loyal fan base who actually part with hard cash for tickets, programmes, merchandise etc...............If you move to a picturesque village with a pub and a post office but do not use them, do you complain when they close?? I'll leave it with you masterminds !!

mcullen

Seriously, why is this important? Does anyone actually care who the "best" supporter is? This is just boils down to snobbery. Some people go to every game. Some people go when they can. Some people go to big games only. That's it. Not really worth getting your knickers in a knot over, is it. Unless of course you need to boast about brilliant you are compared to everyone else.

ajsccfc

The more people that go to this game, surely the higher chance of them deciding to repeat the trip again. Welcome the newcomers and the hesitant absentees. I'm obviously better because I bleed sky blue, but that's more of a medical mystery than anything.

coundonskyblue

Football clubs like any business survive on profitable revenue, that means regular income mainly from a loyal fan base who actually part with hard cash for tickets, programmes, merchandise etc...............If you move to a picturesque village with a pub and a post office but do not use them, do you complain when they close?? I'll leave it with you masterminds !!

Football is the only business though where the customers get blamed for the declining quality of the product.

Using the football business model, its Tesco's customers fault that their Burgers have horse in them.

Covstu

Oh god not another thread about this same subject!! I am over the moon that we filled the ground, will it last, of course it wont but if there is a slightest chance of adding another 2k onto the regular attendance, I am all for it.

All I would say to the irregular, fair weather supporter is to get behind the team and not slate them!

RichieGunns

Oh god not another thread about this same subject!! I am over the moon that we filled the ground, will it last, of course it wont but if there is a slightest chance of adding another 2k onto the regular attendance, I am all for it.

All I would say to the irregular, fair weather supporter is to get behind the team and not slate them!

Who said irregular supporters slate the team?

Another comment that could be interpreted as saying that regular game going fans don't slate the team but the irregular/fair whether ones do don't ya think ;)

Robccfc87

This debate always cracks me up, it's perfectly simple: to be a "super" supporter you need 2 things: time and money, something a lot haven't got. It doesn't mean people love the club less just cos they can't get to every game.

RichieGunns

This debate always cracks me up, it's perfectly simple: to be a "super" supporter you need 2 things: time and money, something a lot haven't got. It doesn't mean people love the club less just cos they can't get to every game.

But there isn't a need to put fans in to catagories. It's what aggravates the argument in the first place!

We are all super supporters because we have stuck with the Sky Blues through thick and thin regardless of how crap the last few years have been for us!

What we're trying to say is, there is no need for this "im better than you" shite.

What it should be is "we're all sky blue fans and we stick together!"

No need to be called anything. No need to place fans in to groups.

We are all fans of coventry city! That's all that matters!

Covstu

Who said irregular supporters slate the team?

Another comment that could be interpreted as saying that regular game going fans don't slate the team but the irregular/fair whether ones do don't ya think ;)

oh for fucks sake chill out will you. Sensitive fucker arnt you!!!

Robccfc87

But there isn't a need to put fans in to catagories. It's what aggravates the argument in the first place!

We are all super supporters because we have stuck with the Sky Blues through thick and thin regardless of how crap the last few years have been for us!

What we're trying to say is, there is no need for this "im better than you" shite.

What it should be is "we're all sky blue fans and we stick together!"

No need to be called anything. No need to place fans in to groups.

We are all fans of coventry city! That's all that matters!

Well you kinda stepped on my point there??!!

BurbageSkyBlues

When high field road staged its last ever game, people made the effort to come from far and wide.

Normally, many of those would not have been regular attendees, for one reason or another.

Similarly, this is the first time a 'cup final' of sorts is being held at the Ricoh . A quick read through the posts that are associated with this match, will reveal that yet again we have people coming from all over the country, as well as the city. It's a special match, people want to be there, so why should they not be welcome.

Hopefully, enough of the more local population will enjoy the game, and the experience, and some will return for our remaining home games, particularly if we get into the top six.

This is how a club grows its fan base, I really don't see what the fuss is about - we should all be chuffed to bits, and I think that most are.!

FootballAttic

I have been to all home cup matches this season.
"He" has only bought a ticket to the Northern final.
I look down on "him"
"He" has a season ticket and goes to away matches
I look up to "him"
I know my place

;)

RichieGunns

Well you kinda stepped on my point there??!!

Not really.

I understand what your saying, that fans can class themselves as Super Fans if they have the time and money to go to every match.

I also understand that because of today's recession there aren't many fans like that because not many people have the money to do such a thing these days (you could suppose, based on recent supporter numbers that it could be something like 9k, 10k of people who could be put into this "Super fan" Catagory.)

What I was simply pointing out was that why should there be a need for any such catagories like "Fake fan" or "Fair Weather Fan" or "Super Fan" or "Irregular fan" when the only catagory that really matters is this one:

"Sky Blue Fan!"

shoesmith81

Had an email back from CCFC saying it was a great idea and that they are looking to endorse it and promote the idea.

I guess others have emailed them as well.

Anyone know if CCFC have any in stock?

Robccfc87

Not really.

I understand what your saying, that fans can class themselves as Super Fans if they have the time and money to go to every match.

I also understand that because of today's recession there aren't many fans like that because not many people have the money to do such a thing these days (you could suppose, based on recent supporter numbers that it could be something like 9k, 10k of people who could be put into this "Super fan" Catagory.)

What I was simply pointing out was that why should there be a need for any such catagories like "Fake fan" or "Fair Weather Fan" or "Super Fan" or "Irregular fan" when the only catagory that really matters is this one:

"Sky Blue Fan!"

That's why I used " "!!!!

rob9872

I keep reading we have all stuck with the City through thick and thin, however I think thick is a slight exageration. Bar the fa cup and a brief exciting flirtation in the late 90's it's unfortunately been much more thin and thin that we've stuck by.

RichieGunns

I keep reading we have all stuck with the City through thick and thin, however I think thick is a slight exageration. Bar the fa cup and a brief exciting flirtation in the late 90's it's unfortunately been much more thin and thin that we've stuck by.

Yes but at least we've been there :)

I know of some fans who have given up on the sky blues and gone to other clubs purely because they don't like losing and being ribbed about it over and over again.

They are the fake fans if we were using that title.

Brighton Sky Blue

Some of us said over the summer that if the club had just a whiff of success about it then the crowds would increase accordingly. Games like this are an excellent example and if we get through to Wembley then even more so. It's the bandwagon supporters who make the Britannia such an intimidating ground for Stoke (remember it being half full and quiet as a graveyard in the FL?), alongside those who will turn up regardless. To tell a hardcore fan their loyalty isn't important is nonsense but equally to tell a bandwagoner that their support isn't wanted is just as silly.

GaryJones

City have once again got the chance to impress the masses - lets hope they take the chance and ensure the numbers increase for the rest of the season! If they win and play well those "will we - wont we" supporters are more likely to venture back - however if the team dont turn up you cant expect to floating supporters to turn up either!
Thats the stark reality.

Users who are viewing this thread