Myeloma UK (1 Viewer)

Glos City

Hi All
First time poster here so please bear with me (I'm an old git!)
A short introduction about myself, I'm an old Sky Blue, was even a Bantams supporter as first game was against Newport County in 1961. Left the city many years ago but you don't lose your love for your club. I am a fairly avid reader of this forum and enjoy reading some of the debates (until they descend into playground stuff).
I hope you will all forgive me for using this platform for the main purpose of this post which is to raise some awareness for Myeloma UK. You will probably not be aware but the club have kindly allowed the game on Saturday to be connected to Myeloma UK and there will be people in bright orange t-shirts with collecting tins in and around the stadium.
This is a very selfish post as I am the one with Myeloma. For those who are not aware of it (neither was I until diagnosed 18 months ago) but it is a blood cancer that affects the bone marrow. I have had very similar treatment to Torchamatic (I hope you are still doing well young man) and I too have been through the bone marrow biopsies and had a stem cell transplant in November 2017. However unlike other blood cancers, there is no cure for Myeloma although the treatment can be very effective.
This is a plea really to all members who will be at the game on Saturday to pass the word around as to what Myeloma is and to make a donation. I apologise if some of you feel that this is the wrong place to do this but Myeloma is one of the lesser known cancers and more funding is required to find the causes and to help research better treatments. I realise that this may come across as a bit selfish but my family, who have been brilliant throughout, have had a pretty rough time of it as well and the more awareness and money we can raise will hopefully aid further research.

PUSB

Otis

Hi All
A short introduction about myself, I'm an old Sky Blue, was even a Bantams supporter as first game was against Newport County in 1961. Left the city many years ago but you don't lose your love for your club. I am a fairly avid reader of this forum and enjoy reading some of the debates (until they descend into playground stuff).
I hope you will all forgive me for using this platform for the main purpose of this post which is to raise some awareness for Myeloma UK. You will probably not be aware but the club have kindly allowed the game on Saturday to be connected to Myeloma UK and there will be people in bright orange t-shirts with collecting tins in and around the stadium.
This is a very selfish post as I am the one with Myeloma. For those who are not aware of it (neither was I until diagnosed 18 months ago) but it is a blood cancer that affects the bone marrow. I have had very similar treatment to Torchamatic (I hope you are still doing well young man) and I too have been through the bone marrow biopsies and had a stem cell transplant in November 2017. However unlike other blood cancers, there is no cure for Myeloma although the treatment can be very effective.
This is a plea really to all members who will be at the game on Saturday to pass the word around as to what Myeloma is and to make a donation. I apologise if some of you feel that this is the wrong place to do this but Myeloma is one of the lesser known cancers and more funding is required to find the causes and to help research better treatments. I realise that this may come across as a bit selfish but my family, who have been brilliant throughout, have had a pretty rough time of it as well and the more awareness and money we can raise will hopefully aid further research.

PUSB
Don't apologise!

So glad you came on and let us know. It is a disease I believe I have heard of, but know nothing about.

Will definitely give on Saturday. Appreciate the heads up and you keep on fighting and good luck.

Hope they find a cure and/or better treatments real soon.

superskyblue

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad the club are supporting. I won't be there on Saturday unfortunately but I have made an online donation to Myeloma UK to make up for it. Hope the fundraising goes well and that you continue to receive the treatment you need.

All the best.

Londonccfcfan

Hi All

PUSB

Well put. Defintaely will contribute.

Otis

Hi All

PUSB
Just spoke to my missus. She interprets and has just told me one of her clients has had the same condition.

She said the treatment she has been receiving has really, really helped. She has had Myeloma now for 5 years.

Again, very best of luck. :)

covcity4life

Hi All

PUSB
thanks for making us aware before the game. i will make sure i have cash in wallet for once

good luck

Esoterica

Hi All

PUSB
Hi Glos, sorry to hear about your personal battle. Is there any way to donate directly for those that can't attend?

EDIT: Believe I've found it myself:
Donate

standupforcity

Yes...thank you for raising my awareness, and how nice to get such a positive response on this forum, and I'm glad to be part of it. I too will have some cash on me and very happy to make a contribution. Your explanation really helps, because people waving buckets at you without really knowing what it's for can be a little annoying.

Otis

Yes...thank you for raising my awareness, and how nice to get such a positive response on this forum, and I'm glad to be part of it. I too will have some cash on me and very happy to make a contribution. Your explanation really helps, because people waving buckets at you without really knowing what it's for can be a little annoying.
Yeah, happened at the Lincoln or Stevanage game. They were collecting for a school and I was a bit puzzled, so stopped and asked them about why they were collecting.

They explained and I was happy to give.

JimmyHillsbeard

Hi All

PUSB

All the best to you. My mum was diagnosed w this disease originally although they subsequently found out it was amlyoidosis.

Dig deep folks.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think most of those who have read this will have got a bit misty eyed and probably know someone who has gone through/is going through something similar. Hope you raise a goodly amount and glad you have a good support network around you. Live long and prosper (I stole that one!)

vincy

Hi All

PUSB

Hello, hope not to clutter up but was gobsmaked to see this about 2am Thursday (different sleep patterns), and also was looking at Torch’s thread. I was diagnosed with MM at Christmas after suffering with what I thought was a muscle strain back in September.

Treatment started in February and even though doesn’t always feel that way, treatment is going well with good results coming back on the Myelona in my blood.

Still going through Chemo, and finished a course of radio week before last. Was on my arse properly for a few weeks, but have got a new lease of life as of the weekend.

A hell of a lot to take in, made a lot easier with good support network of friends, family, and work colleagues who have been very supportive. It’s a rare disease which normally affects the over 65’s so I am one of the rare ones still in their 40’s, but there are younger people with this. No known cause or cure but a lot of advancements in therapies and can is treatable and manageable. I’m waiting on my treatment in hospital now.

Got a big bag of tablets/syringes from Ward 34 where my new hospital family live at start of my treatment. Two blood tests per week, in fact I am sitting waiting for an MRI scan as referred by Radiotherapy when I started having excruciating pains in back meaning I couldn’t even reach across to turn light on/off, then going for my blood test, unfortunately my MRI is booked for 5pm, but the lovely people say they will see me now.
Inject yourself each day to safeguard from blood cots.

Basically my advice to anyone get yourself checked out and ignore any bullshit housewives tales, pub doctors, and retired nurses advice. This wouldn’t have been picked up on my over 40’s NHS test, but started to take my health a bit more/a lot more seriously after putting this off for 6 years, and got me into a more proactive mindset. Took me a few months to get to a point where they had my diagnosis, but needed to perform biopsies to confirm

First game feel I think I’ve been well enough since I started treatment so will look out for you if I actually make it. What time you there, and where are you collecting?

covcity4life

Hello, hope not to clutter up but was gobsmaked to see this about 2am Thursday (different sleep patterns), and also was looking at Torch’s thread. I was diagnosed with MM at Christmas after suffering with what I thought was a muscle strain back in September.

Treatment started in February and even though doesn’t always feel that way, treatment is going well with good results coming back on the Myelona in my blood.

Still going through Chemo, and finished a course of radio week before last. Was on my arse properly for a few weeks, but have got a new lease of life as of the weekend.

A hell of a lot to take in, made a lot easier with good support network of friends, family, and work colleagues who have been very supportive. It’s a rare disease which normally affects the over 65’s so I am one of the rare ones still in their 40’s, but there are younger people with this. No known cause or cure but a lot of advancements in therapies and can is treatable and manageable. I’m waiting on my treatment in hospital now.

Got a big bag of tablets/syringes from Ward 34 where my new hospital family live at start of my treatment. Two blood tests per week, in fact I am sitting waiting for an MRI scan as referred by Radiotherapy when I started having excruciating pains in back meaning I couldn’t even reach across to turn light on/off, then going for my blood test, unfortunately my MRI is booked for 5pm, but the lovely people say they will see me now.
Inject yourself each day to safeguard from blood cots.

Basically my advice to anyone get yourself checked out and ignore any bullshit housewives tales, pub doctors, and retired nurses advice. This wouldn’t have been picked up on my over 40’s NHS test, but started to take my health a bit more/a lot more seriously after putting this off for 6 years, and got me into a more proactive mindset. Took me a few months to get to a point where they had my diagnosis, but needed to perform biopsies to confirm

First game feel I think I’ve been well enough since I started treatment so will look out for you if I actually make it. What time you there, and where are you collecting?
keep fighting bro, hope the pain goes

Glos City

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and that you either have or will make a donation. So sorry Vincy to hear that you are also down with this stupid disease. Many people don't realise that they have Multiple Myeloma until quite late. As in your case it often causes back problems and other people have only found out after doing something like breaking a leg only to be hit by this. It is a disease that GP's find hard to diagnose and people don't realise they have it until quite late on. In my case I was troubled by extreme fatigue, I knew I was getting old (63 at the time) but I was usually energetic and pretty fit for my age. Luckily my wife badgered me into going to the GP who was on the ball and arranged certain blood tests. You know you are in trouble when the GP calls and tells you he has made an appointment to see you.
Anyway I am hoping to be at the game tomorrow and I guess I will be somewhere around the corporate entrance as I can't walk too far at the moment. Aim to get there around 12.30. If anyone else is around that area as well and sees an old bloke in a bright orange t-shirt with a collecting tin (probably sitting down) please pop over and have a chat.
Good luck with the rest of your treatment Vincy and let's hope that a good result tomorrow will take our minds off things for a bit.
PUSB

Otis

Keep hanging in there the both of you and I really hope by donating we can contribute to research that will kick this disease into touch for good.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

Hope the City can raise some smiles for you both tomorrow. :)

Mcbean

Will be splashing the cash tomorrow - lost my father to this - to you Glos and Vincey my thoughts are with you - remember being city fans you are used to up and downs but you will make a comeback - might take a bit of time but onwards and upwards !

Glos City

Really sorry to hear that Mcbean and hope I haven't opened up too many bad memories for you on this. There have been plenty of ups and downs for me over the last 18 months or so but I'm hoping that like the Sky Blues I'm on the up at the moment. I will carry on fighting as my family won't let me do any different.

Mcbean

No worries - was a few years ago now i guess they know more now - he set me off in the right direction - have only good memories - be strong - you have all us nutters rooting for you PUSB

vincy

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and that you either have or will make a donation. So sorry Vincy to hear that you are also down with this stupid disease. Many people don't realise that they have Multiple Myeloma until quite late. As in your case it often causes back problems and other people have only found out after doing something like breaking a leg only to be hit by this. It is a disease that GP's find hard to diagnose and people don't realise they have it until quite late on. In my case I was troubled by extreme fatigue, I knew I was getting old (63 at the time) but I was usually energetic and pretty fit for my age. Luckily my wife badgered me into going to the GP who was on the ball and arranged certain blood tests. You know you are in trouble when the GP calls and tells you he has made an appointment to see you.
Anyway I am hoping to be at the game tomorrow and I guess I will be somewhere around the corporate entrance as I can't walk too far at the moment. Aim to get there around 12.30. If anyone else is around that area as well and sees an old bloke in a bright orange t-shirt with a collecting tin (probably sitting down) please pop over and have a chat.
Good luck with the rest of your treatment Vincy and let's hope that a good result tomorrow will take our minds off things for a bit.
PUSB

Bumped into your team collecting in the West Stand concourse before the game but don't think I saw you. I wasn't feeling great to be honest so jjust made a donation and made my way for the start of ther game, so apologies for not getting time to say hello.

Keep on fighting and stay positive. The very best of luck with yours and anyone elses treatment.

smileycov

Facebook User
Hi All

PUSB
Hi, are you Anna-Marie’s Dad? I’m the ex navy lad who takes her to army navy rugby. God bless you x

W

westcountry_skyblue

I put a few silvers in the two ladies buckets just up from the train station,Best wishes pal.

torchomatic

Apologies, only just seen this and I (literally) feel your pain, Glos and Vincy. Having something like really knocks you for six. After the shock of the diagnosis, the treatment leaves you feeling really terrible. It feels like it will never end, but it does and you slowly start you feel more like your old self.

Like Vincy I had the initial treatment in Ward 34 in Cov. However, they can't do the bone marrow transplant there so had to go over to Heartlands. The nurses and consultants are brilliant and really look after you.

As with Myeloma there is no cure for my particular strain of blood cancer, FGFR1, but thankfully the transplant is holding it at bay and there is no sign of the disease. The biopsies are horrible but worth the peace of mind. I have my next one a week tomorrow.

It seems I am around six months in front of you Glos in terms of treatment and I'm feeling Ok, just get really tired. Usually in bed by 8.30ish. Fatigue will be a big issue in the future.

Echo what you say too Vincy. Go to the GP. I didn't go for a few weeks as I thought I had a bug and it would all go away.

Wish I'd seen this earlier and I could have spoken to you.

All the best both. I'm here if you need me.

Users who are viewing this thread