My Responce to a Football Hater... (1 Viewer)

RichieGunns

Someone replied to a post I made on Facebook. In it I said:

Well after todays result, our promotion push is pretty much over. Thanks ACL, SISU & the Council for well and truely screwing everything up. Could have been so much better...

He said to me:

As someone with less than zero interest in football it always makes me chuckle when people blame the management/council/owners/referee/weather etc etc when there's 11 overpaid prima donnas actually kicking the ball on the pitch. They lost to a better team. Get over it.

So I replied with this. Wondered what you people think?

Now don't get me wrong James. The team are very much to blame for today. They fell apart in the last 15 minutes and the result today is nothing but their problem. But as you aren't interested in football, you may or may not realise that so much shite is going on off the pitch right now that it could cost us our club.

You may not be bothered about it but I am. SISU don't have a clue how to run a football club and are the reason we are in League 1. But the previous regime also have a lot to answer for aka selling our old ground, agreeing to the extortionate rent that SISU now have to struggle around.

The council also have a lot to answer for. They have constantly stood in the way of any compramise or deal that ACL/Higgs Trust/SISU have agreed. The current deal, while offering a lower rent and access to the Food and Beverage monies from match days, ask for £21million for the right to that F&B money.

Considering CCFC sold those rights to ACL for £6million, you've got to see what this isn't just a team issue. SISU tried to force ACL into administration, no one doubts that, it was a dirty way to do business but with the Council stepping in and bailing them out, SISU have now been backed into a corner.

The Council are now going in for the kill, assuming SISU will agree to anything in order to save their situation. SISU obviously aren't that desperate and it's come to a stand still. And how, you may ask, does this affect the players on the pitch? Why does it have any affect on these highly paid prima donnas?

Well for a start, SISU's lack of money and continued failier to buy the stadium means they have made a loss every year since taking the club over. They constantly allude to the money they have put into the club but we never see any of it on the pitch because its always going into paying off our debts.

We therefore cannot give our managers the support they need and ask for in order to strengthen our team and it's promotion prospects. Because of this, our players play practically every game and end up getting injured. We then lose key members of our squad and our ability to perform to a high standard is hampered.

We start to lose games because we cannot compete with other teams who have the money and whose squad has the strength in depth that ours lack. Without any or very little support from our owners, we ended up getting relegated. This season, SISU have admitted the relegation was their fault.

They've put more money into the club and brought in players to enable our push for promotion. It started crap, got a lot better and we're now tailing off again because we just can't bring players in to help with our push. The Council and ACL gave made things incredibly hard for SISU this last year.

Now we could end up going under and with that, over 125 years of football in Coventry City will dissapear. But I guess all the people who hate football will be overjoyed. No more loud supporters flocking through the city, bringing money to the shops, resturants and pubs in the area.

No more potential cup dates bringing the City to the attention of the media and the world. No more charity work with player visits to children who love football. No more money raised for said charities through the endless work that lots of current and ex players are involved in on a daily basis.

This club just isn't about football. A lot of work goes on in the background James. A lot of decent work that benefits not only CCFC but also the city and it's people as whole. If we lose our club, we lose a lot more than just a bunch of prima donnas kicking a football around a pitch. But your not interested in football...

Am I just spouting hot air (based on todays result) or do you think I may have hit the nail on the head?

Brighton Sky Blue

The SBITC work is one of the few real positives about the club at the moment. Carsley gets involved in it quite passionately and it has brought confidence to a lot of disabled and disadvantaged children through football. It's excellent and can't be overlooked.

SkyblueBazza

I think...some of the spelling is dubious. It clearly points the finger of blame at SISU for our plight...but nobody from SISU has kicked all ball in anger ( publicly), & some would argue that we would already be club-less had they not stepped into the breach - so you should always be clear that you are stating opinion not fact. I got bored less than half-way down as it goes on a bit - so never actually finished reading it!

RichieGunns

I think...some of the spelling is dubious. It clearly points the finger of blame at SISU for our plight...but nobody from SISU has kicked all ball in anger ( publicly), & some would argue that we would already be club-less had they not stepped into the breach - so you should always be clear that you are stating opinion not fact. I got bored less than half-way down as it goes on a bit - so never actually finished reading it!

Actually no It doesn't blame SISU completely for our current plight. If you'd bothered to read it all you would have realised that!! It places the blame on all current parties, from the previous Richardson regime, ACL, The Council AND SISU. So please don't state an opinion unless you have bothered to actually read the whole thing because in this case you were wrong.

As for my spelling, I'm dislexic and sometimes find spelling hard. I usually go back and check my spelling but in this case I decided not too as my point will still get across as he is my friend and doesn't judge me based on my spelling issues. But seems as your not my friend, you felt you'd make a point of it (and cruely I might add) and therefore judge me and my opinion. But in this case, you didn't read it all the way through (as stated) so I wont be taking your opinion into account. I'm allowed to do that ;)

And while i think about it some of the points are facts! The deals brockered by the two sides before that have been cancelled out by the council are fact. The previous regime sold our old stadium and then agreed and idiotic rent agreement is a fact. SISU have admitted our relegation last season was there fault, another fact! ACL wanting £21million for the F&B contract is a fact.

Last edited:

RichieGunns

Top response!

So how do that loose women fan response then?

He said:

From what I've read in the financial papers most clubs make financial losses - even those in the Premier league - in fact in 2010 only one premier league side made a profit and that was very slim and boosted by the sale of the ground If this was any other business it would be killed off but we in the UK cling to the idea that football is important even when fans are not actually going to games.

And I said (Heads up Bazza, this is long and boring so you shouldn't read it :p):

You do have a point James. But you have to consider this fact. Practically every team in the Premier League, while making a loss, have wealthy owners on their side who are willing to bail the teams they own out of the predicament they face. CCFC on the other hand do not have a wealthy owner.

SISU are a hedge fund made up of several unknown business persons who cling to their anonimity by only owning just under 10% of the fund. They place someone in charge who does all the work for them, in this case, Joy Seppalla who was once described as the Queen of Debt.

SISU's main speciality is buying companies who are in major debt problems. They do their research on said problem companies and if they see a possible profit from buying them, they'l take the company over, wipe their debt and then work towards turning a profit. Generally if their gamble pays off, they'll sell the company on for a profit.

In the case of CCFC, because they have infact made a loss, they refuse to sell the club because they still feel a profit can be made. Because no sane buyer would pay them back the money they initially invested and generally only off a small amount. In the case of the Hoffman Consortium in 2011, they offered SISU £1.

That £1 shows how much the club is worth in the eyes of outside buyers. Because of the astronomical amount of debt (rumoured to be £45million) they will not committ to buying the club for anything more than that single £1. You have to realise that any potential buyer would be taking on the debts accumulated by SISU and the previous Richardson Regime.

So £1 is a sound investment. They're taking on a loss making company and the loss it has already made. Why would they spend anymore? Tell me that? So really your point about loss making football clubs, while true, isn't exactly relevant in this situation as they have the ability to get themselves out of the situation while CCFC does not!

The charity work I alluded to in my previous post shows you just how important a Football Club is to the community it service. If you want to see the sort of work they do, go to Sky Blues in the Community (www.sbitc.org) and see exactly what this club does for the people of Coventry and it's surrounding areas.

If that isn't a good enough reason for having a football club in Coventry (and in every major and minor city/town in the country) then the only other thing I have to offer is the shear amount of money that goes into the community on match days. Local shops, resturants and pubs gain money from the massive spike in people coming to the area.

The town centre see's copious amounts of people walking through it's bounderies from the train station ever saturday there is a home match. Some are families who use the day as a chance to see the sights and do a bit of shopping in the centre. Lots of lads and lasses get here early, eat in our resturants and shops and drink in the local pubs.

Without these people and their custom, some businesses would go under. It also encourages people to come back on none match days to see the things they didn't get to see when they came the first time. And it give us an international image too. We have thousands of fans supporting us from all over the globe.

I know of Sky Blue fans living in America, Australia, Russia and many more. These people come to our city to see their chosen team play. They spend their money here and they bring their families here as well. They make the long treck from their own countries because the football means that much to them.

This is the same for every other football team in this country. That's another great reason why Football is important in this day and age. The charity work, money and coverage alone gives us as a good a reason as to why football should continue to be one of the things that goes towards making our country (and city by associated) tick.

Another nail or more boringness (Like Bazza says lol)

blueflint

it blames sisu because they are to blame

MFDoom

More boringness. If I was James I'd close down my Facebook and move to another country. No offence, etc.

SkyblueBazza

Actually no It doesn't blame SISU completely for our current plight. If you'd bothered to read it all you would have realised that!! It places the blame on all current parties, from the previous Richardson regime, ACL, The Council AND SISU. So please don't state an opinion unless you have bothered to actually read the whole thing because in this case you were wrong.

As for my spelling, I'm dislexic and sometimes find spelling hard. I usually go back and check my spelling but in this case I decided not too as my point will still get across as he is my friend and doesn't judge me based on my spelling issues. But seems as your not my friend, you felt you'd make a point of it (and cruely I might add) and therefore judge me and my opinion. But in this case, you didn't read it all the way through (as stated) so I wont be taking your opinion into account. I'm allowed to do that ;)

And while i think about it some of the points are facts! The deals brockered by the two sides before that have been cancelled out by the council are fact. The previous regime sold our old stadium and then agreed and idiotic rent agreement is a fact. SISU have admitted our relegation last season was there fault, another fact! ACL wanting £21million for the F&B contract is a fact.

Apologies but I got bored reading your response in full but the original post did say..."You may not be bothered about it but I am. SISU don't have a clue how to run a football club and are the reason we are in League 1. But the previous regime also have a lot to answer for aka selling our old ground, agreeing to the extortionate rent that SISU now have to struggle around"...the key bit which I commented on being the "...are the reason we are in League 1."

SkyblueBazza

Actually...I went on to read the rest of your response &:-

1. You do not have to take notice of my opinion - but you seemed to be making a general request for...opinion?
2. I mentioned the spelling in jocular opinion (as it was based on the one error I noted)...not judgement of you or your opinion.
3. If you're a CCFC fan...we have common ground & consider us "friends" to a point.

RichieGunns

Actually...I went on to read the rest of your response &:-

1. You do not have to take notice of my opinion - but you seemed to be making a general request for...opinion?
2. I mentioned the spelling in jocular opinion (as it was based on the one error I noted)...not judgement of you or your opinion.
3. If you're a CCFC fan...we have common ground & consider us "friends" to a point.

Fair enough points!

I apologise for replying like I did but I didn't think you'd be critiquing my spelling lol

And yes we could be considered "friends" because of our mutual love for the club so I apologise once again.

Anyway if anyone is still interested, here's the next round of me and my friends conversation:

Looked at the sbitc website - interesting reading. By their own admission they help about 12000 people across Coventry and Warwickshire (THEIR figures). Out of a population of over 850,000 that's negligible. Peanuts. Almost nothing. Plus, they're a registered charity, with all of the tax advantages that gives. Re your point about the debts and the worth of the club, my point stands. ANY other business would be compulsorily wound up by now, but it's fooball so the normal rules of profit and loss don't seem to apply.

And mine:

And I'm not disputing that! Yes regular businesses would have been wound up by now. Yes clubs get a lot of advantages over said regular companies. And I don't believe it's fair either. But footballs importance to the country and the thousands of communties within it cannot be underestimated and is unfortunately the reason why they are given so much leniency.

Would you like to answer to all those companies that would go under if you were to have your way and all football clubs were shut down. Would you like to answer to all the millions of fans who would suddenly find themselves bereft of the clubs they love because you (and many others) don't feel they're worth it.

Unfortunately charities can't help everyone. From what I know of the SBITC, they help a lot of disadvantaged children and poor families and especially those with disaballed children. Their remit is aimed at tthis group. As for the tax benefits for being a registered charity, you would look over all the good work they do just because of said tax benefits?

Or is it because they are linked to a football club and therefore couldn't possibly do anything good? If it's to do with player wages then I can see where you coming from. I too hate how much our players are paid these days. If I had my own way, there'd be a wage cap with a maximum amount in line with a normal working mans wage rather than the ridiculous millions they get per year.

But that wont happen and if it ever does, it'll be a good 10/20 years before we can start driving down player wages. Until then it's something we'll have to live with. I have heard that several of CCFC's players put portions of their weekly wage into helping disadvantaged children through CCFC's charity work.

Also the issue of children seeing players as heros is also a problem I'd imagin you don't like. Once again I can completely agree with you. No football player in my opinion is a hero or a role model (unless it's to their own children, your father should always be your hero regardless of his profession! Mine was!).

Football players work like anyone else, they just kick a football around a field, I step on a stage and entertain, my mum was a nurse, my dad was a medical salesman (and a nurse) you get the picture. We all do normal jobs and earn the pay we are entitled too for our work. In my opinion, Footballers (as stated) should get the same as any normal man.

The horror of it all is that some children aspire to be footballers because they want to the money and the prestige that comes from it. It's the same in my industry, a lot of people don't train to be actors because they love acting, they train to be actors because they want the fame that comes with it.

The same can be said for some footballers. They play because they love playing and the money is a secondary issue. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of children out there who are of the same opinion. A good example is myself but using the theatre industry instead of football as the job.

I trained and work as a professional actor because I love acting. The money, while a plus point is a secondary issue. I love performing on stage for audiences because I'm doing what makes me happy and I know I'm good at it! Put that over to football and you realise there are a lot of players who have the same stand point!

SkyblueBazza

...and hindsight being such a wonderful thing...I apologise back at you for targeting your thread to dispel my tetchy mindset on - you were just unlucky. Although it does add ammunition to pass to your friend...this is how it impacts on otherwise nice, unassuming, happy-go-lucky people (in my case) the length & breadth of not just Coventry, or England, or Britain...but the world over!!!

RichieGunns

Jeez, why didn't you just delete him and save yourself the trouble of an explanation?

LOL I like a good debate.

We've spoken a bit more since then.

To summerise, his problem is with Football in general.

He feels that the only way to sort out soaring wages and soaring debt in football is allow all the clubs to fall apart or enforce strict wage and spending cuts.

He said if the whole system went under, you could then start again, with players earning a wage in line with the everyday mans wage.

Of course something in the region of £15,000 to £30,000 a year would be my ideal wage for a footballer with it falling based on club and position in the league.

You can then give them bonuses based on appearances. It would certainly encourage them to want to get into the team and stay there rather than sit on the bench.

The more games they play, the more bonus money they earn.

But that'll never happen. He also said that the idea that Football teams give back to and benefit their community is the biggest scam in todays age.

He sighted the special privilages that football teams and players get like reduced taxes and large wages etc.

He really doesn't like football lol

SkyblueBazza

It's fascinating how we sometimes struggle to understand others. Like I know people who "hate" footy...but love soap operas. I cannot fathom the attraction of them at all (apart from perhaps the odd bit of totty)

Users who are viewing this thread