My boys first City match (1 Viewer)

Becksy

Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice please. My boy is 6 and has really started getting into football especially after watching a few City games on TV early in the season. I've bought him a couple of Cov kits over the last couple of years and managed to fend off outside friends and family influence to support southern teams down here where we live. I've been living in down South since I was 11 but have stayed a Cov fan, been to a few games and am on here all the time (but never posted.) It's a few years since I've been to a game and I want to take him and my older son (9) to a home match over the next few weeks. Neither of them have been before and I've no doubt the noise and atmosphere might be a bit overwhelming at first but I wanted to know the best family friendly place to sit, is in the family zone? Is the view from there any good? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

AOM

I believe blocks 26-24 are the family zones, and usually don't look too busy each home game, so I don't think it should be too overwhelming.
I'm sure others on the forum who have children can confirm though.

This Saturday is also legends day, which might be a good pick for a first game? He could be being exposed to his first Coventry loss though 😂

torchomatic

I believe blocks 26-24 are the family zones, and usually don't look too busy each home game, so I don't think it should be too overwhelming.

This Saturday is also legends day, which might be a good pick for a first game? He could be being exposed to his first Coventry loss though 😂

Also worth noting that despite the Arena's faults, the view is good wherever you sit.

clint van damme

Family block is further round mate, block 30 something, not sure exactly which one.

Reactions: AOM

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

If you're worried about noise then have a look at some ear defenders, i got a pair for my boy (5) and he wore them for his first few games before stopping. Each kid will be different obviously but it just takes them a bit of time to adjust and i knew beforehand that he hates loud noises (motorbikes, lorries etc). We sit in Block 18 which will be far noisier than the family stand bits, i think that's block 28, 29 something like that.

You will also find that there are plenty of empty seats in that part of the ground to try different views out in.

ccfc1234

Have been with the family, if you go to the JSB zone under the family stand about 2pm there will be a bit for the lads to do and they can play fifa or meet the mascot etc. The family stand is quite empty and given it's the most empty stand you sort of think the ground is quite full from that view.

Hope you and your lads have a great day. In a few years time there will be tbe odd away games not too far for you all to go to as well if Coventry is too far for weekly visits.

Are they JSBs? Worth signing them up if not tickets are free for all JSBs up until they are teenagers.

slowpoke

Took my daughter only 5 to the evening relegation battle v Luton 84/85 season, no baby sitter, we had to win to set up the do or die relegation decider v Everton. 0-0 with a few minutes left she was preoccupied playing with a doll when Killer blasted in the winner, the noise frit her to death and she bawled her eyes out & refused to go to a game again for years, bit of a bonus 😉

shepardo01

I'd advise sitting in block 32... you can pretty much have a row to yourself. Don't have to worry about view over others or upsetting others. (Stewards there are great... my STs are in 19 and we go over there when kids are with me with no issues)

Noise isn't as bad yet you can still experience the "stadium noise/atmosphere" but in a slightly less raucous fashion.

Depending on attention span (I have taken up my 3 and 5 year old on a few occasions together and individually) you may want to take some other entertainment/snacks/treats (drawing/ipad/sweets etc...)

If you think attention/interest might not fully be there, I'd advise arriving as close to KO as possible. JSB area closes half an hour before KO.

All kids are different though, as I'm sure you know... hope those suggestions help out a little.

I've been taking my boy along this season for first time...he's loved every second and now can't wait for each game.

I'd definitely sit opposite busy noisy corner first time. Family area or nearby. You can talk through what's happening and you can hear the song lyrics pretty clearly.

We are in block 36, but maybe block 1 or 2 may be worth a shout too. There's just the one bar/food counter down at the end, so a bit quieter and less space to get lost of overwhelmed in concourse area. Not quite so busy getting out at full time.

Take a coke bottle lid if you intend to buy soft drinks as they'll remove the lids when you buy them. I just bribed my lad with food on match one and it kept his interest.

Enjoy, and be prepared for them to not want to watch everything 100% from game one. I found that frustrating, but should have expected it.

13th_choice_seamer

the noise and atmosphere might be a bit overwhelming
You're taking them to the Ricoh, not Bon Jovi.

In all seriousness, I think 6 is a little bit young to take a child to a proper game, so I'd expect him to struggle to concentrate for the whole game regardless of where you sit.

Becksy

Thank you that's great, I've been trying to carefully select a game that I think we might win so he doesn't give up at the first attempt 😀
I'd advise sitting in block 32... you can pretty much have a row to yourself. Don't have to worry about view over others or upsetting others. (Stewards there are great... my STs are in 19 and we go over there when kids are with me with no issues)

Noise isn't as bad yet you can still experience the "stadium noise/atmosphere" but in a slightly less raucous fashion.

Depending on attention span (I have taken up my 3 and 5 year old on a few occasions together and individually) you may want to take some other entertainment/snacks/treats (drawing/ipad/sweets etc...)

If you think attention/interest might not fully be there, I'd advise arriving as close to KO as possible. JSB area closes half an hour before KO.

All kids are different though, as I'm sure you know... hope those suggestions help out a little.
Thank you, that's great advice much appreciated

Becksy

Have been with the family, if you go to the JSB zone under the family stand about 2pm there will be a bit for the lads to do and they can play fifa or meet the mascot etc. The family stand is quite empty and given it's the most empty stand you sort of think the ground is quite full from that view.

Hope you and your lads have a great day. In a few years time there will be tbe odd away games not too far for you all to go to as well if Coventry is too far for weekly visits.

Are they JSBs? Worth signing them up if not tickets are free for all JSBs up until they are teenagers.
Thank you great advice 👍

robbiethemole

In all seriousness, I think 6 is a little bit young to take a child to a proper game, so I'd expect him to struggle to concentrate for the whole game regardless of where you sit.
I’ve been taking my grandsons ( both4 ) from the start of this season as JSB’s with their dads. They both bring iPads and have snacks and drinks for half-time but both are up and shouting when we score ( not so much lately) but both sing the “Gus song” using bloody instead of fucking, and the O’Hare one constantly.

skybluelee

Took mine to their first games when they were 5/7. Spent most of the match going backwards and forwards to the toilets, and the rest of it listening to them asking how long was left and was it nearly time to go to Pizza Hut. Plus they were both mascots that day in a game we won 4-1 to go top of the league (Gillingham in 2015) so you'd have thought they'd at least be slightly invested in the game!

Speedies_Chips

I’ve been taking my grandsons ( both4 ) from the start of this season as JSB’s with their dads. They both bring iPads and have snacks and drinks for half-time but both are up and shouting when we score ( not so much lately) but both sing the “Gus song” using bloody instead of fucking, and the O’Hare one constantly.
My 7 year old grandson sings 'flipping brilliant'.

Users who are viewing this thread