music you thought you would hate, but actually.... (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

...you like.

Yesterday at the charity shop at the tip in Leamington I bought Tubular Bells on vinyl for 40p and its bloody brilliant!

torchomatic

In fact the only music I know I would hate is Marillion. ;)

Otis

...you like.

Yesterday at the charity shop at the tip in Leamington I bought Tubular Bells on vinyl for 40p and its bloody brilliant!

Just wondering why you thought you would hate Tubular Bells? Always considered to be a classic in most quarters.

I can't think of anyone I would thought I would hate to be honest. Can only think of bands I didn't like at first but then grew to love. Depeche Mode being very much a case in point.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
...you like.

Can't believe you've never heard the brilliant Tubular Bells in all its glory!! This was the album that set Richard Branson on his way to his Billions! It was his first release on the (then new) "Virgin" record label.

Houchens Head

Agree with that Otis. That piece of music made the film!

Houchens Head

I've got the album on CD now. Often play it in the car.

LastGarrison

Really liked the Military Wives song (and programme to be fair) which isn't usually my cup of tea at all.

Also, Chase and Status - No More Idols. Never really been a big fan of dance or drum and bass but this album is pure class.

torchomatic

I really don't know, Otis. I'm very good at presumption. I presume something will be rubbish and don't bother with it. Tubular Bells being a case in point. I've only ever heard snatches and never been impressed. I'v e listened to it loads of times since yesterday and love it. This copy is a bit scratchy so will get a CD from Amazon. What are the follow-up albums like?

Maybe it's my age but I've been getting into a lot of different stuff just lately: Bread, Spirit, Jo Jo Gunne. God, I'm getting old.

Now, I've always been a big DM fan, seen them loads of times, but I can't listen to the early plinky-plonky synth stuff anymore.

Just wondering why you thought you would hate Tubular Bells? Always considered to be a classic in most quarters.

I can't think of anyone I would thought I would hate to be honest. Can only think of bands I didn't like at first but then grew to love. Depeche Mode being very much a case in point.

torchomatic

I know, HH. I'm hanging my head in shame. Any other similar recommendations?

Can't believe you've never heard the brilliant Tubular Bells in all its glory!! This was the album that set Richard Branson on his way to his Billions! It was his first release on the (then new) "Virgin" record label.

Grendel

Maybe it's my age but I've been getting into a lot of different stuff just lately: Bread, Spirit, Jo Jo Gunne. God, I'm getting old.

There's this bloke called fish whose done loads of excellent solo albums. Last one, 13th star was awesome. Can't remember the name of the band he used to front.

torchomatic

Mmm...sounds good. As long as he wasn't in Marillion then I'll give it a go.

There's this bloke called fish whose done loads of excellent solo albums. Last one, 13th star was awesome. Can't remember the name of the band he used to front.

torchomatic

Just thought, you're not trying to trick me, are you... :thinking about:

Houchens Head

I know, HH. I'm hanging my head in shame. Any other similar recommendations?

Have you ever listened to any Pink Floyd albums? Never ever disliked them (one of my favourite bands ever), Got nearly all their stuff - from the really early days to when they got back together for the Hyde Park concert recently. Then sadly, Richard Wright passed away.
I would highly reccomend "Pulse" as it's a sort of "best of" album. Then take it from there. If you enjoyed Tubular Bells, you'll like Floyd. Also in a similar vein, the band Yes, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson - in fact any Psychedelic Rock bands should be good!

Can't you tell I'm an old aging fart of a 1960's hippie!! :p

torchomatic

HH, yes I already like Floyd, but again that was only really a couple of years ago. I like Neu! too and fancy trying a bit of Can if you can point me in the direction of anything listenable.

I love Pulse, BTW and I always hate live albums.

torchomatic

Just ordered the Tubular Bells deluxe edition from Amazon too.

torchomatic

Well, I'm really enjoying the Spirit albums. Five CDs for £8 from Amazon.

in fact any Psychedelic Rock bands should be good!

Can't you tell I'm an old aging fart of a 1960's hippie!! :p

Grendel

I do remember when I was about 15 I had saved up enough money to buy the latest hawkwind album. Naturally I was very excited (who wouldn't be) so raced down to the hmv in town and got it. Got the bus home and put it on the turntable only to discover it was dolly parties greatest hits.

No it didn't convert me but it did give the shop assistant a good laugh.

Hugh Jarse

We won't be too harsh on you, I think it's an age thing.

I do remember when I was about 15 I had saved up enough money to buy the latest hawkwind album.

I used to buy import albums by a band called Foghat at the record shop on the corner of the arcade near the old bird cage. There was a big toy shop next door, an Italian restaraunt opposite and a pub upstairs. Christ, I hate getting old, I can't remember the names of any of the places.

torchomatic

Those mispresses used to happen fairly often, Duffy.

I can't believe the price of vinyl now though. Head in Leam have some really nice 180 gram reissues, but not at over £30 a time!

torchomatic

That was a Virgin, I'm sure. I remember getting Souvenir by OMD from there.

I used to buy import albums by a band called Foghat at the record shop on the corner of the arcade near the old bird cage. There was a big toy shop next door, an Italian restaraunt opposite and a pub upstairs. Christ, I hate getting old, I can't remember the names of any of the places.

wingy

We won't be too harsh on you, I think it's an age thing.

The restuarant Was "Nellos " their son went to our school ,believe he died in a swimming accident some years ago ,was the pub you're thinking of the Bug and black Bat?

torchomatic

I got my ticket thereto see the original Human League at Tiffany's. I was 14. Brilliant. Mom thought I was sleeping at my mates house. That bit was true.

Hugh Jarse

Nello's that's the one, took may a girl there for a pizza coz I thought it was cool at the time eating foreign food. Oh the stupidity of youth but you have to remember in the early 70's there weren't that many foreign nosh shops about.

Did the pub have another name before the Bug and Black Bat?

Johnnythespider

Nello's that's the one, took may a girl there for a pizza coz I thought it was cool at the time eating foreign food. Oh the stupidity of youth but you have to remember in the early 70's there weren't that many foreign nosh shops about.

Don't know but it's now a lapdancing club :D

Grendel

The Climax?

Otis

Don't know but it's now a lapdancing club :D

Is it really? :eek::eek::eek:

I thought that girl was just drunk when she fell on my lap. :eek:

someone did tell me before I went that the place was full of tits, but I was just thinking it must have been a Leshtur City fans' haunt.

Johnrambo

[video=youtube;WGoR1rsblxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoR1rsblxo[/video]

I love metal and such, but this number is just... good.

Houchens Head

The Climax?

Yep. Definately the Climax, Kduffy. Had many a pissed up night in there! Anyone ever go into the Forty Thieves? I went once. Bit of a dive!

Houchens Head

Talking of old record shops, anyone remember Hits & Misses in Far Gosford Street? That was my brothers shop. I ran it with him for some years. I believe it's now some sort of restaurant? I have some old pics taken from the inside somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and put them up on here!

torchomatic

Yeah, I used to go there!

Talking of old record shops, anyone remember Hits & Misses in Far Gosford Street? That was my brothers shop. I ran it with him for some years. I believe it's now some sort of restaurant? I have some old pics taken from the inside somewhere. I'll have to dig them out and put them up on here!

hughescov

Also, Chase and Status - No More Idols. Never really been a big fan of dance or drum and bass but this album is pure class.

I agree about Chase and Status. I couldn't understand why they were making this weird sound, it hurt! My mind quickly changed about them.

Users who are viewing this thread