MP calling for Government intervention in Ricoh row. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Perhaps he's jumping on it because he wants Coventry City to remain in Coventry?

Just a thought...!

So do I, but me saying "Come on Tony Blair, sort it out" isn't going to do much is it? Of course I agree with the statement that CCFC should remain in Coventry, it doesn't mean that people can't question what he is proposing as to why and how it would help.

It's like when Michael was a front for Hoffman with his takeover bids and nobody could ever ask anything. Same when Dale Evans first piped up. Of course people would love a takeover, they asked questions to try and figure out how viable it was and then what the aim of it all was.

NorthernWisdom

So do I, but me saying "Come on Tony Blair, sort it out" isn't going to do much is it? Of course I agree with the statement that CCFC should remain in Coventry, it doesn't mean that people can't question what he is proposing as to why and how it would help.

It's like when Michael was a front for Hoffman with his takeover bids and nobody could ever ask anything. Same when Dale Evans first piped up. Of course people would love a takeover, they asked questions to try and figure out how viable it was and then what the aim of it all was.
Has he got media attention for the message that we'd like Coventry City to stay in Coventry?

Do we want media attention for the message that we'd like Coventry City to stay in Coventry?

There's nothing remotely controversial in what he's said. It mentions no sides, no ways of achieving that. Hell, Coventry City remaining in Coventry could be gifting SISU a brand new stadium in the city centre after bulldozing HMV, while offering Joy all the rent boys she can muster, for all that statement says.

He's said what we'd all like. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Or we can argue against the message we want out there, in some crazy, crazy world we live in!

Nick

Administrator
Has he got media attention for the message that we'd like Coventry City to stay in Coventry?

Do we want media attention for the message that we'd like Coventry City to stay in Coventry?

There's nothing remotely controversial in what he's said. It mentions no sides, no ways of achieving that. Hell, Coventry City remaining in Coventry could be gifting SISU a brand new stadium in the city centre after bulldozing HMV, while offering Joy all the rent boys she can muster, for all that statement says.

He's said what we'd all like. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Or we can argue against the message we want out there, in some crazy, crazy world we live in!

The aim isn't Media Attention though, it's a fix. Lots of people could sat what we'd all like, remember Nikki Sinclaire piping up?

Somebody could stand outside No 10 in a sky blue gimp suit demanding that the PM sorts it and it would get media attention. (mine is black, before you say it!).

SkyBlueCRJ

Surely the last hurrah, he will be 80 come the next election, he can't possibly stand again?

PS it is parapet.

Thanks, didn’t think parfait was right but I couldn’t be bothered to google MPs are notorious for staying on longer than their sell by date. Don’t be surprised if he wants to stand again - and showing support for Coventry City would undoubtably be a great platform to increase his popularity amongst the masses.

NorthernWisdom

The aim isn't Media Attention though
Without showing people care, the conclusion is nobody cares.

If nobody says Coventry City should remain in Coventry, there is no reason for Coventry City to remain in Coventry.

Wouldn't it be great to then shape the dialogue, email councillors, and point out that we agree with that message, and ask them to agree too.

That short, simple, message that takes no sides, does not attempt to skew the debate as pro or anti one side or the other, and is what we all want.

Or, we can wring our hands that nobody cares, and wonder why we go down the shitter.

(The gimp suit is a great idea btw, and am looking forward to seeing you on t'news)

chiefdave

The basic message of Coventry must stay in Coventry and have somewhere to play is spot on.

However it doesn't mean you can't ask questions of the other contents in his statement. He says he's written to the Jeremy Wright and the EFL asking them to hold a meeting of Coventry and Warwickshire MP’s. Even if the response is yes and then they have the meeting and Wright, the MPs and the EFL all say Coventry must stay in Coventry we're no further forward.

I would suggest a better option if he really wants to help would be to request meetings with CCFC, Wasps and CCC individually and see what is needed and what can be done to move things forward.

NorthernWisdom

The basic message of Coventry must stay in Coventry and have somewhere to play is spot on.

However it doesn't mean you can't ask questions of the other contents in his statement. He says he's written to the Jeremy Wright and the EFL asking them to hold a meeting of Coventry and Warwickshire MP’s. Even if the response is yes and then they have the meeting and Wright, the MPs and the EFL all say Coventry must stay in Coventry we're no further forward.

I would suggest a better option if he really wants to help would be to request meetings with CCFC, Wasps and CCC individually and see what is needed and what can be done to move things forward.
At this moment in time, we need to focus on the core message.

We've seen what happens when anybody tries to organise a protest, tries to offer a solution. We bicker, we argue, we shit on ideas... and fuck all happens.

So, start from a base, move forward. Get everyone singing from the same philosophy, and the solutions can then come.

(I'd also have had a lot more sympathy with this thread had it started with your first sentence, and *then* offered ways to move it forward. What we actually have is a load of cynicism and criticism, while ignoring the fact we all agree with him, ultimately!)

Nick

Administrator
At this moment in time, we need to focus on the core message.

We've seen what happens when anybody tries to organise a protest, tries to offer a solution. We bicker, we argue, we shit on ideas... and fuck all happens.

So, start from a base, move forward. Get everyone singing from the same philosophy, and the solutions can then come.

The fact he has jumped on something that near enough every city fan agrees on anyway makes it stand out more if people are being cynical ;)

I could shout Vote for Me and get Free Money and people would all want it.

It needs a call to action really and a bit of a plan else it ends up pissing in the wind

Captain Dart

Hoffman is busy pursuing other interests I think.

fernandopartridge

It's not disagreeing with it, it's more asking what he wants them to do when calling on them.

It is just political pressure, not with a specific aim. I think it's a good statement and respect him for doing it. It's non partisan and just states facts.

shmmeee

Thanks, didn’t think parfait was right but I couldn’t be bothered to google MPs are notorious for staying on longer than their sell by date. Don’t be surprised if he wants to stand again - and showing support for Coventry City would undoubtably be a great platform to increase his popularity amongst the masses.

You realise he’s actually a City fan, right?

SkyBlueCRJ

You realise he’s actually a City fan, right?

I never said he wasn't. But what has he actually done to help the CCFC cause when all he's ever done is 'call for governmental action' in the press? It's also a bit coincidental that he exclaimed the exact same thing in 2016, barely a year before the next general election I might add. So what is his actual reasoning for exclaiming this because to me that screams 'I'm trying to please the masses' in Coventry and Warwickshire rather than actually going out and helping the club. Similarly, with how bad Brexit is going there are reports suggesting that another general election could be called this year if things really do go south.

Hence why I think it's a bit coincidental as it's not like he's pulling up trees in parliament to establish a solution to our plight. So I say again what is his actual motive? I'm sure he does support the club and is a fan but what use is him popping up every now claiming that governmental action is required. It's complete hot air.

Last edited by a moderator:

chiefdave

What else can he do?
As he's a labour MP can't he get on to the Labour council and suggest they stick to their promises at the time of the sale or explain the discrepancies between what they claimed then and what they are saying now.

He could speak to Wasps and say it unacceptable for Coventry City to not be allowed to play at the Ricoh and could offer himself or a suitable alternative (think the sports minister was suggested previously) as an intermediary to get talks started.

The key now is what he follows up with. That will show if it was just a soundbite for the press or something he is going to get involved in.

Users who are viewing this thread