Mowbray wants experienced players (1 Viewer)

Hobo

At the moment we have have a squad of promising youngsters. They need leadership and guidance, people who have been around the block to guide them.

attitude is as important as ability. Fortitude as important as fitness.

KersleyDigs

I agree with Mowbray, as long as we sign two players with pace too:

This is would be really good nucleus for a L1 team...

Kirkland
Phillips
Willis
Reda
Rickets
O'Brien
Fleck
Maddison
Tudgay

Add two pacey wingers to this and I'd be happy...

Otis

Makes sense to me! No point in going for young untried players. And experienced doesn't have to mean 'old'.

That said, I Just want to see some signings coming in now rather than guessing who we might or might not be interested in etc.

Nope, experienced doesn't have to mean old.

On the downside though, Simeon Jackson was experienced.

Very hard to get the balance right and I think many of us thought Simeon Jackson would be good at this level.

AFCCOVENTRY

Very hard to get the balance right and I think many of us thought Simeon Jackson would be good at this level.

Simeon was a huge disappointment for us. We all had high hopes considering the goals he got in the past.

stupot07

Kirkland
Phillips
Willis
Reda
Rickets
O'Brien
Fleck
Maddison
Tudgay

Looks pretty average to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SlowerThanPlatt

Looks pretty average to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Compared to who?

Kirkland would be the best keeper in this league. Reda and Ricketts at the back should be good you'd imagine.

Obviously we still need a forward or two and a few midfielders

stupot07

Compared to who?

Kirkland would be the best keeper in this league. Reda and Ricketts at the back should be good you'd imagine.

Obviously we still need a forward or two and a few midfielders

Yes, right side of that defence is weak and inexperienced and likely to have dips in form and make mistakes. We don't know how Ricketts would cope as a left back at 34, he did ok as CB for Swindon. Johnson rarely plays more than 30% of a season.

Kirklands good on paper but hasn't played regular for a while.

Fleck and Job central midfield is nothing to right home about. An injury to them is Thomas, Lawton or finch as replacements,

Even with service I can't see tudguy scoring more than 10-15, and as much as I love Maddison I wouldn't expect him to score many or be a regular week in week out starter. Then it's g Thomas.

If it's them 9 + 2 wingers, it's no really improvement on last season, and we know that it's buckets full of goals that get you out of this league.

And yes I know that we will sign more players, which will hopefully take us from an average side (as posted above) to having more quality.

Last edited:

rupert_bear

We have a decent keeper, Leigh Burge who at the very least deserves his chance behind a decent defence, and better all round outfield team, if he then proves to be suspect then replace him. We have the ex Arsenal kid and if needed can bring in an experienced loanee

SlowerThanPlatt

We have a decent keeper, Leigh Burge who at the very least deserves his chance behind a decent defence, and better all round outfield team, if he then proves to be suspect then replace him. We have the ex Arsenal kid and if needed can bring in an experienced loanee

Lee Burge is not a good goalkeeper at all lets be honest. He only played the last part of the season because we couldn't get in a loanee who was experienced enough to replace him.

I would be surprised if he's no 1 next year.

rupert_bear

Well Crewe game apart i think Burge did okay in a poor team with problems all over the place and even that Crewe game i only blamed him for the first goal, the second was a definite infringement and the third was down to Nouble. Sometimes players need a break. Remember Kirkland ? Strachan wouldn't even bring him on as sub against Middlesbrough for the injured Hedman yet once he got his chance a bit later he soon turned into a multi-million pound player.

Shakeitup

At the moment we have have a squad of promising youngsters. They need leadership and guidance, people who have been around the block to guide them.

Absolutely. And as Gary said, the mix is important. Not just of ages though. I think the teams in L1 and Champ. That do well often also have a mix of speed, skill and big fook off animals, I mean strength!

sw88

Chief Commentator!

He was a massive disappointment! But I cant say im surprised it didn't work out for him here after his career had seemed to take a dramatic don turn in recent times.

Adge

Kirkland
Phillips
Willis
Reda
Rickets
O'Brien
Fleck
Maddison
Tudgay

7 from last years nearly relegated team?:thinking about:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Isn't this the exact sort of players we signed last season? Problem with players who have been there, done it is once they've done it they can lose there hunger and desire to do it again. Got to make sure you are getting player who are still hungry for success and not just picking up the pay check at the end of the week

Samo

Isn't this the exact sort of players we signed last season? Problem with players who have been there, done it is once they've done it they can lose there hunger and desire to do it again. Got to make sure you are getting player who are still hungry for success and not just picking up the pay check at the end of the week

Reputations need to be ignored and players assessed on attitude. A Dennis Wise for example is never letting anyone down, ever. A Simeon Jackson maybe not so much. As always, it's about finding the right players/characters and I'm going to trust TM (for now anyway) to do that.

wingy

Reputations need to be ignored and players assessed on attitude. A Dennis Wise for example is never letting anyone down, ever. A Simeon Jackson maybe not so much. As always, it's about finding the right players/characters and I'm going to trust TM (for now anyway) to do that.

Maybe he could persuade Jonathan Greening or that Polish chap(cannot recall name) to do that Wise Job. Although Greening Is now Into coaching Wise hadn't played for some time either.
It Is a massive risk taking on Old Soldiers, one talismanic player way above the quality can lift a whole team beyond recognition IMO.

PTA

Sounds like we need... a Webster.

For every Dennis Wise there's a De Zeeuw or a Sherwood or a Kilbane etc etc etc who you wouldn't expect to let you down but are just past it by the time they come to Cov. Experience can count for alot but it will also cost alot if their legs or appetite for the game have gone!

Samo

For every Dennis Wise there's a De Zeeuw or a Sherwood or a Kilbane etc etc etc who you wouldn't expect to let you down but are just past it by the time they come to Cov. Experience can count for alot but it will also cost alot if their legs or appetite for the game have gone!

And that's where you trust your manager (or not) to know the difference.

Bristol sky blue

Agree with Scooby Blue.
I do think TM is more likely to detect a player who is after one last pay day than some of our recent managers though.

Otis - I was one of those who was pleased when we signed Simeon Jackson... I think he was one of our most disappointing signings for a long while...

Wonder whether TM is after Ricketts as well trying to keep Reda - that pair wouldn't be much fun for most L1 strikers to play against (and Willis would be a good option against the more pacy strikers).

Shakeitup

Omg. Yes. We need a Dennis Wise. Or... I remember coming home from holiday in Ibiza to find we had signed Carlton Palmer. I was thinking what a mistake. He was great for us!

Users who are viewing this thread