Mowbray confirmed via club twitter (3 Viewers)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Too soon?? :claping hands:

kg82

What would constitute a good season for him this year? Would people be happy with mid table? Or do we think top 6 is minimum requirement in this division?

Reach for the sky. But I'm interested to see who he brings in first before I make a decision. At the moment midtable/top half would be sensible considering what's gone on before. But it may be the players he brings in can push us higher... you just never know.

Covstar

Bristol city were involved in a relegation battle last season before absolutely storming the league this season with some shrewd signings last summer. Now I don't expect the same fate for us but I do believe TM will make some good signings this summer and we should really be looking at top 6 finish minimum. Its about time we got out of this league. Well done CCFC for signing Tony Mowbray, let's hope the good times are finally coming to the long suffering Coventry fans!

Astute

What would constitute a good season for him this year? Would people be happy with mid table? Or do we think top 6 is minimum requirement in this division?

A good season to me would be going to games knowing we had a chance of winning. Competing. Attendances up. A player or two getting in the goals frequently. A very good season being in the top 6. A great season getting promoted. And we have a decent chance of any of the 3 happening.

Astute

Bristol city were involved in a relegation battle last season before absolutely storming the league this season with some shrewd signings last summer. Now I don't expect the same fate for us but I do believe TM will make some good signings this summer and we should really be looking at top 6 finish minimum. Its about time we got out of this league. Well done CCFC for signing Tony Mowbray, let's hope the good times are finally coming to the long suffering Coventry fans!

Well said but for one thing. It was SISU that signed him up not CCFC :pimp:

skybluetony176

If he has a similar budget to last year, I'd be expecting to be challenging for top 6. However we have to be mindful that a lot of his changes to infrastructure will take time to embed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Agreed. What I'm hoping for is pushing for a top six, what I'm expecting is to be well clear of the relegation dog fight with weeks left to go in the season.

Like you said, there's a lot of rebuilding to be done and not just the squad either. Won't stop people calling for his head though if we're not promoted by Easter though.

chiefdave

Similar budget to this year, which I'm guessing there is as finance apparently wasn't one of the issues being discussed with SISU as he was happy with it, then we should be aiming top 6.

rondog1973

If he has a similar budget to last year, I'd be expecting to be challenging for top 6. However we have to be mindful that a lot of his changes to infrastructure will take time to embed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Would think his budget would have to be quite competitive to have persuaded him to sign for 2 years.

Daring to dream I'll witness a top 6 finish in my lifetime......

LJC_CCFC

Hard to say what the aspirations for the season should be until we know who's leaving, staying and coming in. But for the first time since Robins brief reign I feel good about the direction the club is going in, TM wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't believe we could challenge for promotion. So I think we are in for a fun season.

Astute

You are getting my sternest frown right now. 

It is only fair that if I have a go at them for getting things wrong that I give them the deserved praise when they get things right. Well done SISU. Onwards and upwards.

mark82

Agreed. What I'm hoping for is pushing for a top six, what I'm expecting is to be well clear of the relegation dog fight with weeks left to go in the season.

Like you said, there's a lot of rebuilding to be done and not just the squad either. Won't stop people calling for his head though if we're not promoted by Easter.

Agree. I think minimum requirement is comfortable mid table with a stretch target of play offs. We CAN win this league from where we are now with a few good signings. We don't even have to spend fees (although it would be nice to poach some players from "smaller" teams). Wigan will be a threat, as Will Sheffield United. Other than that it's a weak league next year on paper.

Calista

Credit where it’s due to the owners of the club. 3 good moves recently – replacing Pressley (and just in time!); some excellent season ticket deals; and appointing Tony Mowbray on a permanent basis.

No guarantee of a good season, but at least they are going about things the right way.

Astute

Hard to say what the aspirations for the season should be until we know who's leaving, staying and coming in. But for the first time since Robins brief reign I feel good about the direction the club is going in, TM wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't believe we could challenge for promotion. So I think we are in for a fun season.

TM knows what he is doing. He also knows that a manager is only as good as his last post. And I would guess that he also has a good idea which players he wants to get rid of and which he wants to bring into our club. And to add to that he will have the SBA behind him.

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City manager Tony Mowbray has expressed an eagerness to get the ball rolling with a fresh recruitment drive after signing a new two-year deal with the Sky Blues.

Mowbray wants to set the foundations in place for a more solid recruitment process within the club's infrastructure.

While admitting it will be a lengthier process than some might imagine, the boss wants to get the recruitment right and sign players who will be the foundation of a successful team and stay for a period of time, not merely being a quick fix.

"My negotiations have taken a few weeks as I've been trying to get a few points over to the executives on what needs to improve before we move forward," Mowbray said.

"We have to place foundations and an infrastructure in my opinion instead of blowing in the wind hoping to find one team, for one particular year to have a good season.

"That's the only way forward, we need players that the fans associate with that stay here a while and become a foundation. We need this to move forward together as one, manager, players and supporters.

"That's not something that can be done overnight, it's a long recruitment process. You don't employ someone to go to a game, watch it and then pick a player to buy after one game. We have to throw a net over an area and filter it down.

"You need to find places you want to watch, that takes a little bit of time to build and manage but I want to install the right people into the right jobs.

"Over the next few years, I'm hopeful the club will be in a better position with the quality of players I hope to attract. We want to get some players to create foundations for years to come, not just a short-term fix."

Along with the recruitment process, another thing Mowbray admits he’s passionate about changing is the match-day experience for supporters at the Ricoh Arena.

In Mowbray’s 14 games in charge since joining the club in March, the Sky Blues only lost four times but the City boss has highlighted a need for a change in fortunes on home soil.

With the reduction in season ticket prices, making the Sky Blues’ prices the fourth cheapest in the entire league, Mowbray is hoping a better atmosphere, along with a new look side, can help propel the Sky Blues to success.

Buy_Clickthrough

He continued: "Of course the home form is something we all recognise. During my time at the back end of last season at the Ricoh we found it difficult as we searched for the answers.

“It might have been a lack of atmosphere as our supporters have been spread out, the away supporters being bunched together, whether it was the surface, we don't know. But we need to work hard on how to make the Ricoh Arena a fortress, a place away teams can come, enjoy the environment but come away losing football matches.

"We have to make the match-day experience enjoyable for our supporters but it is enjoyable if a team wins. That's got to change next season and I'm eager to help turn our fortunes at home, hopefully with the fans’ support."

hill83

You windmill away mate......

giphy.gif

Covstar

Well said but for one thing. It was SISU that signed him up not CCFC :pimp:

My bad, agree with you there pal. SISU deserve the praise for this one. Could easily have gone with a cheaper 'Yes' man again but credit where credit is due, they got it right this time round.

covmark

The first feel good thread we've had since we came back to the Ricoh. Brilliant news, onwards and upwards. Let's hope we as fans can unite and help push us back up to where we truly belong.

Astute

Coventry City manager Tony Mowbray has expressed an eagerness to get the ball rolling with a fresh recruitment drive after signing a new two-year deal with the Sky Blues.

Mowbray wants to set the foundations in place for a more solid recruitment process within the club's infrastructure.

While admitting it will be a lengthier process than some might imagine, the boss wants to get the recruitment right and sign players who will be the foundation of a successful team and stay for a period of time, not merely being a quick fix.

"My negotiations have taken a few weeks as I've been trying to get a few points over to the executives on what needs to improve before we move forward," Mowbray said.

"We have to place foundations and an infrastructure in my opinion instead of blowing in the wind hoping to find one team, for one particular year to have a good season.

"That's the only way forward, we need players that the fans associate with that stay here a while and become a foundation. We need this to move forward together as one, manager, players and supporters.

"That's not something that can be done overnight, it's a long recruitment process. You don't employ someone to go to a game, watch it and then pick a player to buy after one game. We have to throw a net over an area and filter it down.

"You need to find places you want to watch, that takes a little bit of time to build and manage but I want to install the right people into the right jobs.

"Over the next few years, I'm hopeful the club will be in a better position with the quality of players I hope to attract. We want to get some players to create foundations for years to come, not just a short-term fix."

Along with the recruitment process, another thing Mowbray admits he’s passionate about changing is the match-day experience for supporters at the Ricoh Arena.

In Mowbray’s 14 games in charge since joining the club in March, the Sky Blues only lost four times but the City boss has highlighted a need for a change in fortunes on home soil.

With the reduction in season ticket prices, making the Sky Blues’ prices the fourth cheapest in the entire league, Mowbray is hoping a better atmosphere, along with a new look side, can help propel the Sky Blues to success.

Buy_Clickthrough

He continued: "Of course the home form is something we all recognise. During my time at the back end of last season at the Ricoh we found it difficult as we searched for the answers.

“It might have been a lack of atmosphere as our supporters have been spread out, the away supporters being bunched together, whether it was the surface, we don't know. But we need to work hard on how to make the Ricoh Arena a fortress, a place away teams can come, enjoy the environment but come away losing football matches.

"We have to make the match-day experience enjoyable for our supporters but it is enjoyable if a team wins. That's got to change next season and I'm eager to help turn our fortunes at home, hopefully with the fans’ support."

Fantastic. I just couldn't be happier. Even sounds like he has a long term plan for us. I feel as though we could have a hero in the making here. Someone to give us a football club to be proud of again.

Astute

The first feel good thread we've had since we came back to the Ricoh. Brilliant news, onwards and upwards. Let's hope we as fans can unite and help push us back up to where we truly belong.

I am so happy that I could even give Grendel a big sloppy kiss
tounge.gif

mark82

Fantastic. I just couldn't be happier. Even sounds like he has a long term plan for us. I feel as though we could have a hero in the making here. Someone to give us a football club to be proud of again.

Let's hope so. I'd like to see a few good signings. The scouting network probably won't come into its own until January or next summer so he needs to be given time.

Astute

Let's hope so. I'd like to see a few good signings. The scouting network probably won't come into its own until January or next summer so he needs to be given time.

I think we will see it start straight away. They know each other well. They work as a team. They know how football works. They have their contacts. And I feel that players will want to come here before other Division 3 clubs to join in with something special.

Tonylinc

I now feel that we are on a journey with this Manager. He know what he wants and will not accept anything less.

Astute

I have just put more money on us for next season. We are still 16/1 :D

The Reverend Skyblue

Just cracked open a bottle of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey I have been saving for when TM signed so expect my drunk ramblings later :D

Ill join you Astute, got a lovely half bottle of Glenlivet malt my son bought me a few weeks ago, so ill have a couple with you. Its a right touch

I feel some good times could well be just around the corner

Astute

I think the power of Astute's happiness at this appointment could just about kill off any negativity held by every City fan.

I hope it doesn't kill my Skybet account balance. Had a few big wins the last couple of weeks and with the good news have had a good drink. Drinking and internet betting don't go well together......unless we are champions next season :D

Astute

Ill join you Astute, got a lovely half bottle of Glenlivet malt my son bought me a few weeks ago, so ill have a couple with you. Its a right touch

I feel some good times could well be just around the corner

We are well due a good season. And everything seems to be falling into place.

Users who are viewing this thread