Moving to Australia (1 Viewer)

rob9872

The only time I'll get to go Down Under will be when I'm pushing up daisies. 🤔😳
Poor Mrs wingy, might have to pop round and sort her out.

RedSalmon

Is that pretty much all around Oz? I always envisage them hating us.

An older colleague (now passed on) went there for a couple of years in the 70s, said they didn't accept him and his kids had a rough time at school. Perhaps things have changed or he just happened to live in the wrong area. Or he was a nob. Probably.

Can only speak as I find and never had a problem. In fairness if you want to play the 'stuffy pom' role and be stand offish that can rub them up the wrong way. The only thing (and this really can be a problem) is that they cannot take it when they loose, great at dishing it out when winning but very thin skinned when getting it back.

Sport is a big part of everything they do so probably they become ultra competitive from an early age.

Generally I would say they really like anyone from the UK, and have had several experiences that would back that up (too long to go into on here), but have always found them relaxed decent people, in fact when I have been out there the only arseholes I have encountered have been visiting Australia from the UK.

RedSalmon

If you are thinking about emigrating there is a site called pomsinoz that has loads of good advice from people who have already made the move, or are waiting to do it.

duffer

Cheers Dave, I'm a couple of years in as a Web Devloper and completing a degree this year, the wife is a senior primary school teacher so I think we have desirable enough skills to get in. Got two kids (6 and 9), if we were going to do it I'd like to do it before the eldest hits secondary school age.

"Both say the culture is completely different. You're not a slave to work and they now have less hours, a lower work load and more flexibility."

This is the important part.

Snakes and spiders I was literally worried about, silly really. Read up about it and you have more chance of dying falling off a horse.

Entirely fair, and I wouldn't hesitate myself if I had the chance. There is the small point that horses don't usually hide under bog seats though. :)

Macca1987

Too old now, but visited family in Perth several times over the last few years, if I was younger would jump at the chance, clean living, everything on your doorstep and majority of people very friendly. In all walks of life you'll get some dickheads, but if you join in and become part of the community I would say you're on a winner. Only downside I would say is not seeing the mighty sky blues in the flesh

Johnnythespider

Why don't you apply to go on that Wanted down under programme and try before you buy, me, I'd rather have a Castlemaine XXXX cobber.

Ian1779

The wife has a brother that lives in Sydney so have had some extended breaks over there in the last 10-12 years. Housing is extortionate in the big cities. He has a 5 bed house, detached with a pool. House is of a reasonable size and it’s worth $2 million, and he’s an hour outside the city on the subway. Food and drink is pretty expensive, travel (especially public transport) is generally cheap, but I’m thinking comparatively to the UK than Australian money or salaries. I’ve always thought if you can on the property ladder somehow then it would definitely be worth going for it.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Australia is one country in the world I've never wanted to even visit for a few days. It just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, too many things want to bite you, sting you or eat you. Best of luck but you can keep it to yourself! Incidentally, my step daughter works for Qantas and she goes to Oz every 2 or 3 weeks or so. She loves the place!

robbiekeane

Thinking about it. Anybody done it? Be interested to get opinions on whether the lifestyle is actually better or it's just in my head.
Go for it. Worst case scenario you don’t like it go back. Moved to the US and love it. Canada or Australia next I think for me

Skybluefaz

So basically it seems a no go from the Aussies at the minute. Below is the response I got from a migration agent this week. May be of interest to some people.

You give them some brief info such as education and occupation, name etc. I'm due to complete a Bsc in computing and IT this year. Wife has a degree, summat to do with childhood and education 🤷‍♂️. She's a deputy head at a primary. I'm a web developer. We have 2 young children.

I'll continue to probe this when Covid eases (whenever the fuck that is) and also when I'm done with studying.

Thank you for contacting True Blue Migration.

We have reviewed your information.

CURRENT SITUATION
Based on COVID's impact on Australian migration policy, competitiveness for an invitation to apply and the specific requirements of shortage lists, we cannot see a skilled visa option for you.

SKILLED VISA SCORES
Although the skilled visa passmark is 65 (as listed on Immigration website) the high number of applicants and very low number of invitations mean that almost all occupations require an applicant to have 90 points to be invited.

REDUCED INVITATIONS ISSUED
For many occupations, there has been no invitation to apply since July 2020.

BACKLOG OF APPLICANTS
There are over 60,000 people on 90 or more points waiting in SkillSelect's Expression of Interest (EOI) pool. Many of these applicants lodged their EOI more than 12 months ago.

STATE NOMINATED PR
When an occupation is listed as in shortage in an Australian state, territory or regional area, there are conditions attached. These conditions often require the applicant to have a 12 month job offer, have studied in that region or have lived and worked in that part of Australia. States are holding off on issuing nomination approvals.

THE FUTURE
We expect the skilled visa program to recommence once a vaccination program is rolled out and the border restrictions are eased. Australia has always needed (and will continue to need) skilled migrants in a number of occupations.

STAYING UP TO DATE WITH AUSTRALIAN MIGRATION
We post visa news and other migration updates on our Facebook page here: True Blue Migration Services Please follow the page to stay up to day on changes to Australian migration.

EMPLOYER SPONSORED VISA
You may be eligible to be sponsored by an Australian employer. We appreciate that this is a challenging process from overseas.

The requirements for sponsorship differ from skilled migration. The sponsoring Australian employer would need to meet sponsorship requirements, and you would need to meet the visa requirements. Employer sponsored visas vary in price, processing time, eligibility requirements and pathway to permanent residency (if any). If you have an Australian employer willing to sponsor you, please tell us more about the company, location, job on offer and salary.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

mrtrench

Fuck that..... stuck in the far corner of the world in a racist cultural backwater where its just too fucking hot to be healthy for atleast 1/3 of the year.....wild fires a plenty & an ever increasing chance of annual droughts so bad you'll be queuing up in 43C blazing sun to take your turn at the community water standpipe....

.......living the dream...bonza!

I take it you don't work for the Australian Tourist Board?

duffer

And of course, good luck to you. Sounds like a proper adventure. I'm not sure I fancy Oz that much personally, but escaping from here sounds like a pretty good idea. 🙂

Flying Fokker

So basically it seems a no go from the Aussies at the minute. Below is the response I got from a migration agent this week. May be of interest to some people.

You give them some brief info such as education and occupation, name etc. I'm due to complete a Bsc in computing and IT this year. Wife has a degree, summat to do with childhood and education 🤷‍♂️. She's a deputy head at a primary. I'm a web developer. We have 2 young children.

I'll continue to probe this when Covid eases (whenever the fuck that is) and also when I'm done with studying.

Thank you for contacting True Blue Migration.

We have reviewed your information.

CURRENT SITUATION
Based on COVID's impact on Australian migration policy, competitiveness for an invitation to apply and the specific requirements of shortage lists, we cannot see a skilled visa option for you.

SKILLED VISA SCORES
Although the skilled visa passmark is 65 (as listed on Immigration website) the high number of applicants and very low number of invitations mean that almost all occupations require an applicant to have 90 points to be invited.

REDUCED INVITATIONS ISSUED
For many occupations, there has been no invitation to apply since July 2020.

BACKLOG OF APPLICANTS
There are over 60,000 people on 90 or more points waiting in SkillSelect's Expression of Interest (EOI) pool. Many of these applicants lodged their EOI more than 12 months ago.

STATE NOMINATED PR
When an occupation is listed as in shortage in an Australian state, territory or regional area, there are conditions attached. These conditions often require the applicant to have a 12 month job offer, have studied in that region or have lived and worked in that part of Australia. States are holding off on issuing nomination approvals.

THE FUTURE
We expect the skilled visa program to recommence once a vaccination program is rolled out and the border restrictions are eased. Australia has always needed (and will continue to need) skilled migrants in a number of occupations.

STAYING UP TO DATE WITH AUSTRALIAN MIGRATION
We post visa news and other migration updates on our Facebook page here: True Blue Migration Services Please follow the page to stay up to day on changes to Australian migration.

EMPLOYER SPONSORED VISA
You may be eligible to be sponsored by an Australian employer. We appreciate that this is a challenging process from overseas.

The requirements for sponsorship differ from skilled migration. The sponsoring Australian employer would need to meet sponsorship requirements, and you would need to meet the visa requirements. Employer sponsored visas vary in price, processing time, eligibility requirements and pathway to permanent residency (if any). If you have an Australian employer willing to sponsor you, please tell us more about the company, location, job on offer and salary.

giphy.gif
To think, all you had to do years ago is nick some venison.

rob9872

Good luck!

olderskyblue

You’ll have to learn to speak strine ;)

LastGarrison

Melbourne. Never been, so not sure what to expect. One way to find out!
Great city. Sport mad.

Seem to remember it also has its own sort of microclimate so it gets more cloud and rain than most other parts of Oz.

However, it was 16 years ago since I was there.

robbiekeane

It’s great here! Nice and warm at this time of year but still get the odd cold couple of hours or nice cool mornings/evenings. Everyone’s super friendly and welcoming and it’s pretty aligned culturally to the UK if a bit more laid back and chill. Salaries on par with the US but much cheaper living costs (compared to NY)

Adge

Fair play! Wanted to do it 20 years ago but too late now for us.
So have you moved over there on your own or with family etc-wife/kids?

Users who are viewing this thread