Moving Forward - New Stadium Questions (1 Viewer)

djr8369

Yeah I get it Shmmmeee but what was the fit out cost on top, did that include all the land and prperation of? Plus it's just 21k capacity and it was some years ago. Remember I'm talking about today/ in a few years from now and 30/35k capacity. If you could build a nice stadium right down to complete fit out, ready to go with a 30k capacity for under 75m for example = I'd snap your hand off. Remember also we need a proper stadium becuase we are in a league playing 'proper' football now! lol

Why on earth would we need 30k? While in the champ at the Ricoh how many times did we have 30K+? Leeds and Chelsea in the cup are only two I can think of.

Gynnsthetonic

Children's Mercy Park formally Sporting Park home of Kansas City is another good example of a 4 sided ground with safe standing behind the goal with a 23000 capacity

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-29-09-08-02.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-29-09-08-02.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2020-07-29-09-09-09.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-29-09-09-09.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Cranfield Sky Blue

Why is that a problem? We’re apparently getting a land gift and a partnership here too.
True. However the backing of the local council was a massive reason the whole concept got going and became such a success. I used the word problem in respect of that council support we appear to be lacking at CCFC!

oldfiver

Completely irrelevant as they didn’t build it from scratch but no and they are now struggling financially.

Following your logic it will make sense to build afresh to a size and specification that meets requirements and affordable

And, of course new and not mired with several million pounds of maintenance and upgrade costs

robbiethemole

I know others have said they’re against running tracks but why not enclose the area they have? In the close season we could convert it to a speedway track and bring the Bees home. Win win

Nick

Administrator
Rowdies_Soccer_Config_2015.jpg

One for @usskyblue

djr8369

Following your logic it will make sense to build afresh to a size and specification that meets requirements and affordable

And, of course new and not mired with several million pounds of maintenance and upgrade costs
This is exactly my point.
The size needs to be suitable to our current standing AND sensibly financed. There’s no point saying we’d like 30k plus on the off chance we make it to the prem. Even if we did want to do the debt incurred will hold us back and we could end up with another Ricoh situation.

If we want a stadium of our own it has to be one we can finance sustainably.

We are homeless because we couldn’t afford to build the Ricoh. Let’s not make the same mistake again.

oldfiver

This is exactly my point.
The size needs to be suitable to our current standing AND sensibly financed. There’s no point saying we’d like 30k plus on the off chance we make it to the prem. Even if we did want to do the debt incurred will hold us back and we could end up with another Ricoh situation.

If we want a stadium of our own it has to be one we can finance sustainably.

We are homeless because we couldn’t afford to build the Ricoh. Let’s not make the same mistake again.

We are homeless because of decisions made by past Owners and Directors being in cahoots with the Council !

shmmeee

True. However the backing of the local council was a massive reason the whole concept got going and became such a success. I used the word problem in respect of that council support we appear to be lacking at CCFC!

I mean IMO the whole “CCC aren’t helping” is baseless, but I get that’s a fruitless argument on here. But isn’t the whole point that this is Warwick not Coventry council?

Anyway As NW pointed out, other clubs have built grounds despite objections from hostile councils in shorter time.

shmmeee

We are homeless because of decisions made by past Owners and Directors being in cahoots with the Council !

That’s not really true now is it?

We may have felt we couldn’t continue, but the decision to do it without anywhere to go was very much ours.

Sisu took six years to break the lease, and have had six more to sort a replacement.

Marty

I bloody hope not, football grounds with athletics tracks are the worst.

Exactly mate, it'll be far worse then the Ricoh 'expierence'.

I have a feeling the uni will want it, so they can start doing athletics meetings there.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Lots of safe standing please.....preferably behind both goals.

...and fix the sound/PA system so when broadcast on TV, it amplifies the SBA singing, not the away fans.

....and Wadworth 6X Gold on tap please.

djr8369

Exactly mate, it'll be far worse then the Ricoh 'expierence'.

I have a feeling the uni will want it, so they can start doing athletics meetings there.
They must want something out of it. I’d hope a track in the stadium isn’t part of it but as I’ve said multiple times we’re not in a position to be picky.

oldfiver

That’s not really true now is it?

We may have felt we couldn’t continue, but the decision to do it without anywhere to go was very much ours.

Sisu took six years to break the lease, and have had six more to sort a replacement.

I was referring to Highfield Road move - showing my age here !
I was not clear and you too quick to defend!

shmmeee

They must want something out of it. I’d hope a track in the stadium isn’t part of it but as I’ve said multiple times we’re not in a position to be picky.

The club say they will own the stadium and be responsible for all operations TBF. It could be a simple land deal for the stadium itself and the partnership is more the sports science/football management/green tech showcase stuff.

djr8369

The club say they will own the stadium and be responsible for all operations TBF. It could be a simple land deal for the stadium itself and the partnership is more the sports science/football management/green tech showcase stuff.
Yeah let’s hope that’s the case.

Nick

Administrator

Yep, you would think they would also get heavy discounts / free if they wanted to use it as well.

win9nut

Yeah. That decision being to ask the council to fund the Ricoh as we couldn’t afford to build it...
Or the decision of the council to fund the last part of the Tesco deal, then turn around and claim it would be state aid if CCC then helped CCFC get back on it's feet by following through on their end of the bargain. Councillors at the time must have had dollar signs in front of their eyes.

Just ranting at history again!

What was the thread about again? Oh yes, the future!

capel & collindridge

Black seats matter.
Black lives matter, because all lives should matter, especially those of our Black players.

Black seats don't matter, because most seats don't matter.

Sky Blue seats matter. They are the exception. They matter because they proclaim that we're not a London-based, franchising, non-footballing outfit!

Mcbean

Padded seats matter - some fat arsed Egg chaser farting a d spilling his drink all over mine !

Mucca Mad Boys

I mean IMO the whole “CCC aren’t helping” is baseless, but I get that’s a fruitless argument on here. But isn’t the whole point that this is Warwick not Coventry council?

Anyway As NW pointed out, other clubs have built grounds despite objections from hostile councils in shorter time.

The example NW and myself discussed was Brighton. Where the planning permission was submitted to a council supportive of their plans. It was an adjacent local authority that opposed the stadium.

In that scenario, had the planning permission been made to Lewes Council, there wouldn’t be a Falmer stadium for Brighton.

Besides, the project took 13 years to completion, so we’ve got another 6-7 years to see if we can beat it! Slight despairing tone there.

A challenge to yourself and @NorthernWisdom

Is there an example out there where a football club has managed to obtain planning permission from a hostile local authority in the UK?

Common sense dictates that the CCC would certainly not want to build another multi-purpose stadium in their jurisdiction.

The Butts could increase to 10,000-15,000 in the future, and you have the RICOH. Assuming the club (CCFC) and council are on good terms, it doesn’t make sense for them!

djr8369

The example NW and myself discussed was Brighton. Where the planning permission was submitted to a council supportive of their plans. It was an adjacent local authority that opposed the stadium.

In that scenario, had the planning permission been made to Lewes Council, there wouldn’t be a Falmer stadium for Brighton.

Besides, the project took 13 years to completion, so we’ve got another 6-7 years to see if we can beat it! Slight despairing tone there.

Is there an example out there where a football club has managed to obtain planning permission from a hostile local authority in the UK?

Common sense dictates that the CCC would certainly not want to build another multi-purpose stadium in their jurisdiction.

The Butts could increase to 10,000-15,000 in the future, and you have the RICOH. Assuming the club (CCFC) and council are on good terms, it doesn’t make sense for them!

There are plenty of areas with more than one stadium. Think the worry of multiple venues in one medium city is the least of our issues tbh.

tisza

anyone know a Covnetry "Tony Bloom"? The other major difference in the sceario

NorthernWisdom

Brighton. The local authority objected. You can go for the ah but it's different all you like. it's different by being in brighton (or Lewes) not Coventry.

Les Reid said:
But Coventry City Council’s planning committee, as with all district councils in Warwickshire, are “quasi-judicial” bodies – meaning councillors are legally obliged to vote based on “material planning considerations”.

Coventry City bosses are pinning their hopes on winning planning permission at appeal or at a public inquiry if they cannot get their plans through any local council’s planning committee.

shmmeee

That’s simply not true. Planning law is above councils. They can try and block but developers can always go over their heads if planning law hasn’t been followed.

People seem to think that local authorities are some cross between the Chinese communist party and medieval landowners. They aren’t. They exist within a set of rules and regulations that govern what they’re allowed to do. And if you suspect they’ve broken those there is legal recourse.

And as I’ve said, my experience of planning is that when you’ve got a site that close to the boundary both councils will be involved anyway. Exactly which planning department it’s submitted to makes little difference on a project of this scale that close.

Mucca Mad Boys

There are plenty of areas with more than one stadium. Think the worry of multiple venues in one medium city is the least of our issues tbh.

That sounds like a deflection. Either way, are these areas the size of Coventry?

I get it it, from the council’s view, the RICOH is readymade for CCFC. It would be a waste with Wasps and Coventry can’t co-exist. Or, in a scenario where Wasps bail from Coventry, and a new CCFC stadium built, there’s this big sports venue that would be a white elephant.

NorthernWisdom

Forest Green also, the councillors refused permission against officers' advice, it was then granted second time around, and the council chose not to defend themselves as, well, they knew there was no defence.

This decision might still be reviewed because of opposition. Forest Green Rovers chairman accuses Stroud MP of ducking meeting over proposed stadium

They're actually doing though, moving the process along, instead of wringing their hands and complaining about the nasty council. We can do the same. If SISU put half the energy into process here they do with the Ricoh, we'd have moved in by now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread