Moving back to Cov - advice please (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

I might live to regret asking you lot for advice but I'll give it a try! Looks like I could be making the move back to Cov in the next few months (and before anyone asks yes I will be getting a season ticket when that happens). Having moved away from the city in 1992 I'm sure its changed a lot and since then pretty much the only places I've been to are Highfield Road, Ricoh and my parents!

So which are the area's to avoid these days? Not sure yet if its going to be renting or buying but will most likely be looking at a 1 or 2 bedroom flat or house so no point saying move to a mansion on Gibbet Hill!

At the moment trying to come up with a plan to change job and move house at the same time. Not sure how that will pan out but the two will have to be pretty close otherwise I'll run out of money about a week after moving! Any tips from anyone whose moved a decent distance (as in far enough that they couldn't commute to their old job) would be welcome.

Ashdown

Depends how young and vibrant you are I suppose and if you have kids needing schools but if I was moving to Cov, I'd try hardest to get a flat bang in CV1 if possible. I think the money being spent these days is converting Cov City Centre into a much friendlier environment. If you do have kids then Finham it appears has the best schooling, Earlsdon is the trendy end. Personally I quite like the area not too far from the BPA which is only a hop into town.

lewys33

Depends how far in/out of Coventry you want to be I guess. I used to live in a flat up in Hawkesbury Village (longford) right next to the greyhound and canal which was quite nice, fairly close to the Ricoh but obviously miles out of the centre.

chiefdave

Not too fussed about being a few miles away from Cov, even as far as Kenilworth or Warwick wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

I'm not particularly young or vibrant these days! Will be me and the dog so somewhere that's not going to be party central would be good. I've had a look at Finham and Stivichall but there doesn't seem to be a lot of 1 or 2 bed places and the few that are available seem to be a premium.

Seems to be a few 2 bed flats in Mount Nod that might be worth a look unless that's a dodgy part of town these days.

NorthernWisdom

I've recently moved to the edge of Binley, and once Tollbar is done(!) it'll be ideal for me to do a spot of commuting. Close enough to walk to Coombe, far enough out of town but a (kind of!) regular bus service, supermarkets etc. close... because it's a bit out of town is quieter, which suits me nowadays(!)

Main downside is I still don't have a clue who my neighbours are six months later, there's not much in the way of 'community' if you're into that kind of thing, but it was far, far cheaper to move here then Warwick or Leamington.

Captain Dart

Otis

Not too fussed about being a few miles away from Cov, even as far as Kenilworth or Warwick wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

I'm not particularly young or vibrant these days! Will be me and the dog so somewhere that's not going to be party central would be good. I've had a look at Finham and Stivichall but there doesn't seem to be a lot of 1 or 2 bed places and the few that are available seem to be a premium.

Seems to be a few 2 bed flats in Mount Nod that might be worth a look unless that's a dodgy part of town these days.

Come and live by me, Dave. I need a friend.

bringbackrattles

If you like anti-social behaviour,drunks,and beggars Bell Green is the place for you Dave.That's where I live so that's why I fit in so well ! But they're doing up Wood End by me and it's looking nice from what it used to be with the Slough nature reserve close by.
Flats and houses with street names like Squirrel Close and Moon Walk and the whole area is being done up.If you like shops and nightlife the city centre may be more for you though but the weekly rent may be a bit costly, but then again so is a Cov City shirt but we still buy one !All the best.

skybluedan

i might live to regret asking you lot for advice but i'll give it a try! Looks like i could be making the move back to cov in the next few months (and before anyone asks yes i will be getting a season ticket when that happens). Having moved away from the city in 1992 i'm sure its changed a lot and since then pretty much the only places i've been to are highfield road, ricoh and my parents!

So which are the area's to avoid these days? Not sure yet if its going to be renting or buying but will most likely be looking at a 1 or 2 bedroom flat or house so no point saying move to a mansion on gibbet hill!

At the moment trying to come up with a plan to change job and move house at the same time. Not sure how that will pan out but the two will have to be pretty close otherwise i'll run out of money about a week after moving! Any tips from anyone whose moved a decent distance (as in far enough that they couldn't commute to their old job) would be welcome.

dont

Astute

Have done several moves over the years of long distance. The main point I would keep to is rent first if you don't know the area anymore. It would give you a chance to have a good look around if you wanted to then buy. I have moved to a couple of places that look great but then change at night. Maybe look for somewhere with somewhere for your dog to walk?

LastGarrison

Wyken.

Plenty of flats available (but avoid the high-rises), not too many nob heads, some ok boozers, walkable to town, plenty of parks to walk the dog.

duffer

Mount Nod always looks very nice and tidy when I pass through that way, as I often do having kids that go to school around there.

Nod Rise, where there are number of very pleasant looking, low rise flats genuinely has the smoothest tarmac in Coventry - I'm always impressed when I cycle along there. That place is manicured - I get the impression that it caters for the slightly more mature (ahem) generation. Not party central. :)

When the wife throws me out I might look for something along that way myself. The only pubs in easy walking distance are The Vale and The Unicorn (Scireborne), iirc. I'm not overly impressed with the latter, though it was George Curtis's local for a long time as I recall if you're looking for a CCFC connection.

LastGarrison

Mount Nod always looks very nice and tidy when I pass through that way, as I often do having kids that go to school around there.

Nod Rise, where there are number of very pleasant looking, low rise flats genuinely has the smoothest tarmac in Coventry - I'm always impressed when I cycle along there. That place is manicured - I get the impression that it caters for the slightly more mature (ahem) generation. Not party central. :)

When the wife throws me out I might look for something along that way myself. The only pubs in easy walking distance are The Vale and The Unicorn (Scireborne), iirc. I'm not overly impressed with the latter, though it was George Curtis's local for a long time as I recall if you're looking for a CCFC connection.

Unicorn is alright, it is what it is.

Mainly a food place now (cheap and cheerful) but still trying to hold on to a bit of a pub feel with the pool table, dart board and live music.

Certainly wouldn't have it as my local and much prefer the Vale. Had a couple of good nights in there, although it can be a bit cliquey.

You should ride a little further up and come and visit the Minstral Boy. Now that is a pub completely on its arse......

Users who are viewing this thread