Most surprising player this year. (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

Who had a much better season than you expected them to have?

I'll go first and say McFadzean

Last edited:

rob9872

The most disappointing thing are the endless threads trying to dig people out in what's been another positive season.

rob9872

Who had a much better season than you expected them to have?

I'll go first and say McFadzean
Sam McCallum - wondered why we signed 2 left backs on loan at first and didn't really rate his defending but obvious pace going forward in our system. As the season's progressed he's got better and better and been one of our best consistent performers in the second half of the season. Would love to see if we can have him again now Norwich have been promoted, but suspect they'll want him elsewhere.

edgy

giphy.gif

Max Biamou

Didnt think he could step up yet another level but he's not let us down this season. Told not needed early season, knuckled down and got on with training. Given a reprieve due to injuries and was asked to lead the line alone. Worked hard, matched the physicality of the Championship defenders. Adjusted to two up top and made goals for others.

Granted he should've been our top scorer this season by a mile with the chances he got/missed. But I'd hate to think where we'd be if we were reliant on anyone else from the squad when Godden and Walker were out.

So yeah he's suprised me at Championship level.

Hod dog

Wilson as hasn't been a number 1 anywhere so when he had to take over from marosi I was worried but he has been good and deserves to keep number 1 shirt for now.
fadz, thought he was a league 1 defender, thought he was to much of a lump but think he has been brilliant this year and would like to see him given another 12 months.
O hare has had a very good season creatively and his high work rate has helped us massively this season, but has has surprised me with low number of goals scored.

Yorkshire SB

giphy.gif

Max Biamou

Didnt think he could step up yet another level but he's not let us down this season. Told not needed early season, knuckled down and got on with training. Given a reprieve due to injuries and was asked to lead the line alone. Worked hard, matched the physicality of the Championship defenders. Adjusted to two up top and made goals for others.

Granted he should've been our top scorer this season by a mile with the chances he got/missed. But I'd hate to think where we'd be if we were reliant on anyone else from the squad when Godden and Walker were out.

Agree on that. Had a few bad moments, misses, passes, etc. However his performance levels have generally been right up there, he's battered some championship CBs.

Not sure he looks any worse/better in the champ than he did in L2

chiefdave

Max Biamou

Pretty much what I was going to put. For someone who was told he was surplus to requirements and to find another club to decide to stick around and fight for a place then do a job when called upon is well above what anyone could have expected.

He may well not be here next season, or at best 4th or 5th choice with very limited opportunities, but he's definitely played a part in keeping us up.

SBT

I don't see why anyone would be surprised by McFadzean, who's played more Championship games than anyone in our squad. We pretty much got what we expected there.

Biamou is a good shout - if you'd told me during the L2 days that he'd play 30 games in the Championship, I'd have called you insane. Obviously he hasn't been very good, but other similar/better players have looked more out of their depth.

O'Hare is the other one for me - I wasn't sure whether this would be a step too far for a kid who hadn't played much senior football, but turns out that work rate alone can take you a long way, when your work rate is as good as his.

SlowerThanPlatt

O'Hare - surprisingly awful in front of goal, even by the exceptionally low standards he set last season.

xG says he should have 5 more goals. Next season is a crucial one for him on a personal level, he’ll be 23 no longer seen as a “prospect” so time to take his game to the next level as he has the potential to put up some great numbers.

AOM

Agree with others and would say Wilson or McFadzean.

Wilson - although he's made some costly errors, he's gone from the odd cup game appearance in league one to holding onto the number one shirt, has made some vital saves this year and kept out an emergency loan goalkeeper from the team

McFadzean - has experience, but thought his age would work against him in the Championship. Has a few errors in him, but he's been the best central defender (on the clubs books) all season

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Wilson for me. There was alot of concern when Marosi got injured and i'd not expected him to play ahead of Camp once we brought him in. He's made quite a few errors but ultimately played an important role in a side that's stayed in the division. I suspect we'll be in the market for a new keeper in the summer but considering he was basically a League 2 bench warmer he's performed surprisingly well at this level.

D

Deleted member 11652

I’m gonna say Eccles.

He had a great game v Gillingham followed by a loan at league 1 level which I didn’t think he was ready for.

He’s come back and performed well at u23 level even adding some goals to his game.

It seems he will be a genuine option in the squad next season and I hadn’t expected that from him

PVA

Quite a few contenders really. Wilson, Mccallum, Fadz, Kelly, O'Hare, Biamou. You could say they have all fared better than expected.

I'll go with Wilson, because I truly expected him to throw one in his net every game, followed by O'Hare who went from impact player last season to one of the first names on the team sheet this season.

cov donkey kick

Mc fadzean been impressive since the start of the season the QPR game I remember watching that game and he was there barking out orders to his teammates then and of course he scored on the night and continued throughout the season.he is prone to red cards and mistakes as everyone knows but he's been brilliant.
Other players max been consistent and not let team down.
O'Hare a buzz of energy around the field.
McCullam got better as season went on.
Liam Kelly would he make the level was asked?well yes still injuries wise bloody nusiance.
Everyone else have contributed and would love to see ostigard at the Ricoh next season.

Offhegoes

Max Biamou - Told to find a new club in the summer. Played through injury and scored some vital goals. Yes he missed some chances, but always looked lively, and deserves another year. More than capable as 3rd or 4th choice striker

Ccfcisparks

Max Biamou - Told to find a new club in the summer. Played through injury and scored some vital goals. Yes he missed some chances, but always looked lively, and deserves another year. More than capable as 3rd or 4th choice striker
He's not good enough as a 3rd or 4th choice if we want to progress.

cov donkey kick

Can see both sides of the coin with max and not fussed wether he goes or stays the thing I can say is he cares and loves the club and I understand that to.guess it's robins choice and what he thinks he can offer.

Alex1987

Positives
Wilson and Mcfadz have been better than expected

Negatives

Rose is my only disappointment. Expected him to be the number 1 centre back tho has probably slipped to number 4. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt due to the long term Hip injury he had last Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread