Most successful season? (1 Viewer)

harvey098

If Robins can guide us to a top half finish this season (I know it’s still a bit of an if) which of his full seasons would you say was the biggest achievement since returning to us?

1 - 17/18 - promotion out of league 2 at first attempt

2 -18/19 - finishing 8th in league 1 as a newly promoted side

3 - 19/20 - promotion as champions of league 1 (with the help of a bit of Duckworth Lewis)

4 - 20/21 - Keeping us up in our first season back in the championship for nearly a decade.

5 - 20/21 - Top half finish in the championship and highest pyramid position for over 15 years

You could make a case for almost all of them. 5 amazing seasons but I think it’s a close call between 3 or 5 for me (whatever happens the rest of this season).

Last edited:

harvey098

Say League 2 season given it was a rebuild and not many teams go back up at the first attempt. Some great memories, the night at Notts County is right up there for every fan I think

Yeah I think that was my favourite season as the play-offs will never be forgotten but a lot of luck involved too, so in terms of achievement it would be 3 or 5 for me.

Last edited:

SBT

The L1 title season, easily. Turning a pretty average L1 team into a true juggernaut was impressive enough, the fact that the spine of that team - all of them free transfers - continues to hold its own in the league above is fantastic.

Ccfcisparks

The L1 title season, easily. Turning a pretty average L1 team into a true juggernaut was impressive enough, the fact that the spine of that team - all of them free transfers - continues to hold its own in the league above is fantastic.
To be fair the midfield is totally different

stay_up_skyblues

League 1 title winning season for me. Be interested to know what our odds were to win the thing. Thought we were miles off at the start of the season. Factor in playing at St Andrew’s too.

SkyblueTexan

Lots of great memories along the way from L2 to now. Long may it continue and hope we go from strength to strength and head back to the EPL post haste.

Liquid Gold

Winning L1 easily, we were just immense that season.

We had to deal with all the uncertainty around the place with moving to St Andews and the plan for the season was ripped up early on with Jobello's injury then Hiwula turning to shit.

There was nothing at all to suggest we would even trouble the playoffs but we were miles better than anybody else.

I've never seen a Coventry City team that was so clearly a level above.

Only downside is we didn't get to celebrate it with them.

Evo1883

We had to deal with all the uncertainty around the place with moving to St Andews and the plan for the season was ripped up early on with Jobello's injury then Hiwula turning to shit.

There was nothing at all to suggest we would even trouble the playoffs but we were miles better than anybody else.

People can slander the achievement , but before curtailment leaving Portman Road after winning 1-0 and just coming through a horrendous run of fixtures having dropped just 2 points .. there was nobody going to stop us , 20 odd games unbeaten and with 2 top half teams left to play we were going up

Liquid Gold

People can slander the achievement , but before curtailment leaving Portman Road after winning 1-0 and just coming through a horrendous run of fixtures having dropped just 2 points .. there was nobody going to stop us , 20 odd games unbeaten and with 2 top half teams left to play we were going up
I remember when all the arguments were going round about how to work out the final table nobody objected to us being crowned champions because it was so obvious we were winning it. Even MacAnthony at Posh said we deserved it.

We cruised that tough run of games like it was no problem. Lost 3 times all season and I seriously doubt it would have increased in the final 10.

covcity4life

League 2 promotion. We did it hard way through playoffs. Don't even want to think what may have happened to us had we not got promoted.

Things have just gone so well for us last 5 years. About time too.

robbiekeane

This season I think, though they are all good. It’s frustrating but undeniably a great achievement st the same time. We just turned over a team with a $100k a week player up front who’s on 38 league goals.

Insane. Someone the other day mentioned that only 5 years ago we had folivi and Stuart beavon to look forward to. Shudder. And we don’t have a pot to piss in.

I don’t think it’s repeatable though I have a horrible feeling we will lose our best players and struggle next year

Sky Blue Harry H

I remember when all the arguments were going round about how to work out the final table nobody objected to us being crowned champions because it was so obvious we were winning it. Even MacAnthony at Posh said we deserved it.

We cruised that tough run of games like it was no problem. Lost 3 times all season and I seriously doubt it would have increased in the final 10.

Those defeats included the 1-0 home defeat to Tranmere. wearing the two tone kit for the first time. We hammered them and lost 1-0. Still don't know how!

harvey098

This season I think, though they are all good. It’s frustrating but undeniably a great achievement st the same time. We just turned over a team with a $100k a week player up front who’s on 38 league goals.

Insane. Someone the other day mentioned that only 5 years ago we had folivi and Stuart beavon to look forward to. Shudder. And we don’t have a pot to piss in.

I don’t think it’s repeatable though I have a horrible feeling we will lose our best players and struggle next year

Yeah I agree. If we can finish top half this season then that would be the most impressive season for me, just pipping the L1 win.

The money, talent and championship experience that other teams below us have is scary compared to us. We have had to battle to the final seconds to be where we are and we’ve played some brilliant football at times too.

We were all a bit underwhelmed by our squad at the start of the season and it’s easy to forget now but I think most of us expected another relegation battle.

mark_ccfc

The whole journey has been nothing short of a miracle really. I was almost convinced at one point that we were going to go non-league, or even go bankrupt and have to start completely from scratch. I wasn't that impressed with the re-appointment of Robins considering the way he had left us previously. How wrong can you be!

I would say this season so far has been the greatest achievement considering our resources and the opposition we have faced in this division. We have more than held our own all season and at times competed at the top of the table. Just when you think the season is over and the player's heads are going to go down they pull something out of the bag like Sunday's result. Unbelievable!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Pissing League One… and I mean pissing it. We should have only lost 1 game that season, we were near enough unstoppable

PPG or not we were on course to win the league at a canter.

we were at the end of a sticky patch of fixtures when the season finished, that included Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham and Ipswich and took 10 points from them.

Sky Blue Harry H

Pissing League One… and I mean pissing it. We should have only lost 1 game that season, we were near enough unstoppable

PPG or not we were on course to win the league at a canter.

we were at the end of a sticky patch of fixtures when the season finished, that included Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham and Ipswich and took 10 points from them.

I remember Sunderland fans being mad as one of the games in hand that got Wycombe into the play offs on PPG was away to us (and we all know our record against Wycombe) !

Irish Sky Blue

I have enjoyed everyone of those seasons. Even last season, every game seemed to be a battle to keep our heads above the water line. This led to seem real edge of the seat encounters. This season we have played some glorious football and haven’t really got the rewards the standard of our performances deserved. The majority of the games have been exciting and good to watch, even when we have lost, the game at Forest the other night being a case in point. I’ve watched us play since 1967 and this run of successful seasons is as good as anything I have seen. I’d go as far as to say that the quality of our football this season is a lot better than that on offer in many of our first division seasons.

slowpoke

Correct, we would have won the league easily imo just annoyed that the covid stoppage deprived us of the joys of pissing the league, bit of chest thumping, singing “We are the champion” etc, success we had missed for over 50 years, still we will make amends next season.

Macca

Great season but will forever be “what if” This was the big chance, a head start with a tremendous run of results and a team that just needed a little financial injection. It may not come around again for a long time

Grendel

It was from the first away win. We were just hovering in the pack and then it was something like 33 points in 13 games after that

fernandopartridge

Aye, I think we were 5th and 6 points off the top at the turn of the year, by mid March we were 5 points clear!

CDK

League one championship winning side and then Last seasons
Easy survival which was very much the league one side that came up,that showed the organisation in all the staff ,who now will be looking for better players on a charity shop budget to get to the next level and push us on higher still.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There's quite a bit to choose from, hey.

The League 2 playoff win at Wembley was a real moment as well. Then again, that season I stood at Newport in the pouring rain whilst we played pretty shit.

Given the ground share at Birmingham, and the fact we never used that as an excuse but adopted some kind of seige mentality around it instead probably makes that season coming up from league 1 the proudest achievment for me.

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

L1 title season for me. We didn’t have the best squad in the division and even around october/november (after rotherham away) it looked like we would struggle to get play offs - but that run we went on before covid hit was scintillating

SkyBlueSoul

League 1 winning season for me, I've never seen a Cov side just get it so right. I never thought I'd see us be "that team" in a division, where it's a joy to watch the football, you have genuine reason to expect a win every game and everyone else openly acknowledges you're the best in the division. Reminded me of Bristol City the season they went up with 90-odd points, they turned us over around October and were singing "We are unbeatable" (think they'd gone 15-unbeaten from the start of the season) and wondering if it could ever be us.

The L2 season was great in the end but we weren't totally sure we'd make the play-offs heading into the last few games, whereas that L1 season the belief was there from reasonably early on

Liquid Gold

League 1 winning season for me, I've never seen a Cov side just get it so right. I never thought I'd see us be "that team" in a division, where it's a joy to watch the football, you have genuine reason to expect a win every game and everyone else openly acknowledges you're the best in the division. Reminded me of Bristol City the season they went up with 90-odd points, they turned us over around October and were singing "We are unbeatable" (think they'd gone 15-unbeaten from the start of the season) and wondering if it could ever be us.

The L2 season was great in the end but we weren't totally sure we'd make the play-offs heading into the last few games, whereas that L1 season the belief was there from reasonably early on
If it was a full 46 game season and we maintained our ppg we would have beat the 90 point mark.

We were outstanding.

Perryccfc

L1 season for me. Despite winning the league early, I felt we were going to go on to win it comfortable. After the little run we had facing Pompey, Sunderland and Ipswich and winning all 3 it seemed inevitable. Winning that league at a cantor would have been an unbelievable achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread