Most Nerve Racking Experience You've Ever Had? (1 Viewer)

oscillatewildly

For me it was being best man for a mate (1987) and the three driving tests I had.
I did a static line parachute jump in 1986 and that didn't come even close to the anxiety I felt with the other two.

Kneeza

Two daughters weddings. I usually enjoy a good wedding, but I was terrified through both of these (at least until I could relax a little after my bit was done).
I've done the best man thing a couple of times, and while nerve racking, they didn’t come close.
Mind you, I also recall my legs shaking uncontrollably in Cheylesmore register office many years ago as I was shackled to my ball and chain...

skybluetony176

Doing my driving test at 17. I’ve never been a sweaty person but I was soaked through by the time it was over. I had to have a bath and change of clothes before I could go back to work. Probably the only time I’ve experienced that. Did my bike test a couple of years later and didn’t sweat it at all.

SkyBlueSoul

Sky diving's definitely up there. They filmed it and you can pinpoint the moment I regretted every life decision that had led me to that point.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Becoming a dad, we were unlucky the year before but my wife got pregnant again. But the entire time i was scared. When our daughter was born the midwives took her away for a couple of seconds to do all their checks but she was perfect I felt an immediate sense of relief and emotion. Love being a Dad I don't always get it right but she's Intelligent, funny, kind hard working so we have done something right

rob9872

Becoming a dad, we were unlucky the year before but my wife got pregnant again. But the entire time i was scared. When our daughter was born the midwives took her away for a couple of seconds to do all their checks but she was perfect I felt an immediate sense of relief and emotion. Love being a Dad I don't always get it right but she's Intelligent, funny, kind hard working so we have done something right
Similar story, although ours is only 15 now and currently a stroppy lazy little shit, but I'm sure she'll grow out fine on the other side.

Kneeza

Doing my driving test at 17. I’ve never been a sweaty person but I was soaked through by the time it was over. I had to have a bath and change of clothes before I could go back to work. Probably the only time I’ve experienced that. Did my bike test a couple of years later and didn’t sweat it at all.
Coincidentally I also did my car test at 17 and bike test a couple of years later (both at Mason Road, 1971 and '73). Can't recall being too nervous at either though.

ovduk78

My wife bought me a microlite flight for my 50th. Taking off and flying around was ok but landing was terrifying. Apparently whilst they have forward motion they want to rise so to land the pilot had to point the nose at the floor (or the pilot was a c**t and was trying to scare me!). I felt sick when we landed & my wife said I was very white!! 🤢

Alkhen

The birth of my 1st born. Was all going well and midwife was prepping to deliver the baby just stopped, 12 hours of increasingly invasive tests and procedures and little movement he started getting stressed so they had to whip my wife in to surgery. Was so sure it was going to end horribly. Then to top it off the sodding emergency alarm went off in the surgical theatre. I nearly had a heart attack. Turns out it was a full on training roll play event they had planned. The surgeon had an argument with the person who came in and complained he hadn't responded!

Thankfully my lad and wife were fine but I deffo think it damaged me!

Mad to think we went for baby number two who was nearly born in the foot well of the car on the way to the hospital:D

Tommo1993

Having a guy shoot up the beach in Sousse while luckily we hadn’t got down there yet.

Was my missus’ first abroad holiday and only our second day there. We’d just got back from the zoo, and were moving rooms as we were originally put up above a restaurant that seemingly went all night. The original plan was to go down to our section of beach straight after the zoo and try the cafe down there - but we didn’t expect to be given the new key so soon, like literally as soon as we got off the coach, so ended up shifting our stuff first instead. Made all the difference between living and dying, who knows? Must’ve took five, ten minutes to move our stuff, and in that time the guy was letting rip with his Kalashnikov.

Our new room was facing towards the beach and I was putting our towels out on the balcony, and I commented to her that some Wally was letting off fireworks in broad daylight at the beach. Hotel went into immediate lockdown, and the doofus that I am goes and leaves his phone in the other room. I eventually retrieve it and see 3 missed calls and a voicemail from my old man back at home. I called him and he’s crying his eyes out, because he knew of our plans to go to the beach.

I was amazed at the time that him being back here and us being a few hundred feet away from the incident, that he knew more about it than we did. We missed it by minutes. When he told me what was happening, my heart shot straight to my mouth and I started sweating. He couldn’t believe how oblivious I was. The missus was rightly terrified but I’m there trying to look like I’m not panicking. We flew out the following morning on one of the emergency flights.

Last edited:

Sbarcher

During the London Tube bombing. I caught an earlier train than booked so missed the main bombings. But - I was at a meeting in Whitehall with a Government minister when an official came in and we were told about the bombings and informed they had a call that there was a bomb in the building. I'm amazed we weren't evacuated, but we were led to a safe room. They confiscated our mobiles and brought a big old fashioned land line in. We were able to make one quick call only. After 2 hours the Army declared it safe. Luckily a guy at the meeting drove down from Bham so I cadged a lift home with him. Really eerie walking through London, only emergency vehicles still flying around the streets. Tourists huddled around closed tube stations not knowing what to do or where to go.
A day I will never forget

JAM See

During the London Tube bombing. I caught an earlier train than booked so missed the main bombings. But - I was at a meeting in Whitehall with a Government minister when an official came in and we were told about the bombings and informed they had a call that there was a bomb in the building. I'm amazed we weren't evacuated, but we were led to a safe room. They confiscated our mobiles and brought a big old fashioned land line in. We were able to make one quick call only. After 2 hours the Army declared it safe. Luckily a guy at the meeting drove down from Bham so I cadged a lift home with him. Really eerie walking through London, only emergency vehicles still flying around the streets. Tourists huddled around closed tube stations not knowing what to do or where to go.
A day I will never forget
I vividly remember that day, listening on the car radio in Coventry.

God knows what it must have been like to be in the middle if it.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Being mugged at knifepoint with mates for our bus money as a teenager at pool meadow, saw the guys a month later and nearly pissed myself in fear

Was in London the day of the bombings, quite surreal and it felt very weird, luckily I was away from the area and just focussed on getting home safe.

Grabbed a taxi late one night in Amsterdam, cop car pulled up alongside him and suddenly our driver (obviously scared and wanted) decided that Amsterdam was the new F1 circuit and we were in a high speed chase around town and then out of the city, hit a few bollards and posts and after about 15 mins, he had lost the car enough that he stopped, shouted for us to get out and sped off again, seconds later, the cop car sped by as 3 grown men were just left in the street hugging each other thanking our lucky stars and going wtf.
walking back into town, another cab stopped and only time we've ever asked to see his license and that he was registered.

Sky Blue Pete

Being mugged at knifepoint with mates for our bus money as a teenager at pool meadow, saw the guys a month later and nearly pissed myself in fear

Was in London the day of the bombings, quite surreal and it felt very weird, luckily I was away from the area and just focussed on getting home safe.

Grabbed a taxi late one night in Amsterdam, cop car pulled up alongside him and suddenly our driver (obviously scared and wanted) decided that Amsterdam was the new F1 circuit and we were in a high speed chase around town and then out of the city, hit a few bollards and posts and after about 15 mins, he had lost the car enough that he stopped, shouted for us to get out and sped off again, seconds later, the cop car sped by as 3 grown men were just left in the street hugging each other thanking our lucky stars and going wtf.
walking back into town, another cab stopped and only time we've ever asked to see his license and that he was registered.
Have you carried the mugging with you mmj? My mate and I were mugged at knifepoint in Birmingham as 15 year olds or so and I’ve always been pretty scared in city centres

rob9872

Jonah!

rob9872

I fell left out having never been mugged - didn't realise it was so common. We do live in a society of cunts!

Saddlebrains

Twice i think

When my lad was born He wasnt breathing, seeing the midwife pull the emergency button and loads of nurses come dashing in with him blue and not crying was horrible. Was about 20 seconds but felt like an eternity. Hes alright now though a gobby 13 YO

And the morning my mum passed. I was 15, no family, old man fucked off years ago and the sudden realisation i was on my own and not a clue how to get through life or even where i would sleep from then on.

Did alright though

fernandopartridge

When my lad was born He wasnt breathing, seeing the midwife pull the emergency button and loads of nurses come dashing in with him blue and not crying was horrible. Was about 20 seconds but felt like an eternity. Hes alright now though a gobby 13 YO

Similar when my daughter was born - the room had gradually filled up with midwives and other clinicians, 2 x consultants and all sorts going on. Never felt such a rush of relief when she was OK.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I fell left out having never been mugged - didn't realise it was so common. We do live in a society of cunts!
Mine was 38 years ago, it did properly scare us, luckily the bus driver believed us and let us on for free, never told our parents otherwise they wouldn’t have let us go swimming every week in town after school. For the following weeks, we stayed where an actual bus was and a driver until ours came in and then went across and got on it.

Users who are viewing this thread