Most FA cup goals (1 Viewer)

harvey098

Random one but last night we were chatting at the game saying I wonder what the record is for team goals in an FA cup run.

We’ve done 11 goals in 2 rounds with Maidstone to come…

I guess lower league sides get an extra 2 rounds on us but then probably wouldn’t get as far into the tournament. Can’t find the answer if any saddos / stattos can find it?

probably Man City, it usually is

JAM See

Just googled and this was In 1886… I don’t know why but I feel this shouldn’t count
Of course it counts.

You're in danger of falling into the 'football began in the premier league era' bollocks.

" Coventry City, haven't won a major trophy since the Inception of the Premiership".

Fuck that!

JimmyHillsbeard

Of course it counts.

You're in danger of falling into the 'football began in the premier league era' bollocks.

" Coventry City, haven't won a major trophy since the Inception of the Premiership".

Fuck that!

JPT Final
league Two Play Off final
league One Champions
City of Culture

gazza

In the post-war era, the record for the most goals scored by a team in a single FA Cup season is held by Tottenham Hotspur. They scored 27 goals during the 1960-1961 season.

Astute

Tbf there is a big difference between Victorian football to modern day football. Not sure records can be fairly coupled.
Your first question was most goals in an FA Cup run. The FA Cup is the oldest national competition in football in the world.

That's like when Sunderland supporters see themselves as one of the biggest clubs in England because of how many times they won the top flight division in England...6... plus the FA Cup twice. But other than the FA Cup in the early 70's everything else was pre WW2. And 5 out of the 6 league titles were before WW1 😁 Still shows in the record books though.

NorthernWisdom

Tbf there is a big difference between Victorian football to modern day football. Not sure records can be fairly coupled.
Records are records. It's not your place to decide a record is not a record. That's just as bad as pretending football didn't happen before the Premiership.

There's a big difference between football now and 35 years ago too. That's the way life goes.

harvey098

Records are records. It's not your place to decide a record is not a record. That's just as bad as pretending football didn't happen before the Premiership.

There's a big difference between football now and 35 years ago too. That's the way life goes.

Completely agree with your broad point but the game you quoted happened before the football league was even created… look at some of the results from the first round that year 😂 I’m just saying going back THAT far is not comparing apples with apples.

Attachments

• IMG_1394.png
    IMG_1394.png
    445 KB · Views: 38

harvey098

In the post-war era, the record for the most goals scored by a team in a single FA Cup season is held by Tottenham Hotspur. They scored 27 goals during the 1960-1961 season.
Perfect, thank you 👍 we’re going to have to bag quite a few in the final then!

harvey098

But when the FA Cup was created. ergo, it counts as 'what the record is for team goals in an FA cup run.'

This is such a pointless discussion (instigated my me so my bad 😂). You’re right btw it technically has to count but the format was completely different back then, any old team could enter with no qualifying rounds etc. Hyde had been formed for less than a year.. it’s only the same game by name which was technically the question.. shall we call it there? 😆

usskyblue

SBT horror at not starting football history accurately.

Also SBT;

Godden's penalties don’t count

Okayyy, Palmer’s assist do, but they weren’t very good

Last edited:

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Just googled and this was In 1886… I don’t know why but I feel this shouldn’t count

Does Google tell us now many goals Cov City have scored since 1883 ? 🥴

Brighton Sky Blue

Interesting that after 100 years your league and cup titles apparently become too old to count. Just got to hope we clinch something in the next 63 years

harvey098

SBT horror at not starting football history accurately.

Also SBT;

Godden's penalties don’t count

Okayyy, Palmer’s assist do, but they weren’t very good

I knew people would get their knickers in a twist about it when I posted it. It’s something people weirdly clutch pearls about without even thinking critically.

It’s not unreasonable to suggest that when formats change (I.e qualifying rounds, top teams joining in 3rd round etc) then records from 130 years ago when professional teams were playing against some random policemen who have formed a team after work etc can’t really be compared. They still exist btw, not deleting history, I’m just saying they can’t fairly be compared. I think it’s actually mad to argue they can tbh.

But yeah I’m a monster and don’t think football began until 1992 or when Man City got money 😴

Frank Sidebottom

To be fair I get your point when you look at when some rules were introduced.
  • 1887 – The goalkeeper may not handle the ball in the opposition's half.
  • 1888 – The drop ball is introduced as a means of restarting play after it has been suspended by the referee.
  • 1889 – A player may be sent off for repeated cautionable behaviour.
  • 1890 – A goal may not be scored directly from a goal kick.
  • 1891 – The penalty kick is introduced, for handball or foul play within 12 yards of the goal line. The umpires are replaced by linesmen. Pitch markings are introduced for the goal area, penalty area, centre spot and centre circle.
  • 1897 – The laws specify, for the first time, the number of players on each team (11) and the duration of each match (90 minutes, unless agreed otherwise). The half-way line is introduced. The maximum length of the ground is reduced from 200 yards to 130 yards.
  • 1901 – Goalkeepers may handle the ball for any purpose (previously the goalkeeper was permitted to handle the ball only "in defence of his goal").
  • 1902 – The goal area and penalty area assume their modern dimensions, extending six yards and eighteen yards respectively from the goal posts. The penalty spot is introduced.
  • 1903 – A goal may be scored directly from a free kick awarded for handball or foul play (previously all free-kicks awarded for infringements of the laws, other than penalty kicks, had been indirect). A referee may refrain from awarding a free kick or penalty in order to give advantage to the attacking team. A player may be sent off for "bad or violent language to a Referee".
  • 1907 – Players cannot be offside when in their own half.
  • 1912 – The goalkeeper may handle the ball only in the penalty area.
  • 1920 – A player cannot be offside from a throw-in.
  • 1924 – A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick.
  • 1925 – The offside rule is relaxed further: a player is onside as long as there are two opponents between the player and the opponents' goal-line (previously, three opponents had been required).
  • 1931 – The goalkeeper may take four steps (rather than two) while carrying the ball.
  • 1937 – The "D" is added to the pitch markings, to ensure that players do not encroach within 10 yards of the player taking a penalty kick.

Astute

I knew people would get their knickers in a twist about it when I posted it. It’s something people weirdly clutch pearls about without even thinking critically.

It’s not unreasonable to suggest that when formats change (I.e qualifying rounds, top teams joining in 3rd round etc) then records from 130 years ago when professional teams were playing against some random policemen who have formed a team after work etc can’t really be compared. They still exist btw, not deleting history, I’m just saying they can’t fairly be compared. I think it’s actually mad to argue they can tbh.

But yeah I’m a monster and don’t think football began until 1992 or when Man City got money 😴
How about this new blue card thing? Should we reset all the records again?

Maybe we could split the records up.

Horse and cart needed to get to games.

Could go by car but only at 4mph with a bloke needed in front with a red flag.

Records are just that. Records. They're there to be beaten. Maybe if Manchester City had got Maidstone they could have given it a go. Maybe every shot we take goes in.

Users who are viewing this thread