most ever CCFC fans in one ground (1 Viewer)

Ring Of Steel

1 Charity Shield 1987 (Wembley) 55,000 estimated
2 Checkatrade Final 2017 (Wembley) 43,000
3 CCFC v Man Utd 1968 Div 1(HR) 42,000 (47k crowd, 5k Man Utd fans there)
4 CCFC v Wolves 1967 Div 1 (HR) 41,000 (51k crowd, 10k Wolves fans there)
5 CCFC v Sunderland 1963 (HR) 38,000 (40k 'official' crowd but likely more than 50k there)
6 CCFC v Exeter, 2018 37,000 and counting

Amazing we got 47k into HR with only three sides...

When we played Bayern they actually printed 50,000 tickets and were expecting our second biggest gate of all time- then we went and got destroyed 6-1 and only 26,000 went to the second leg

This is a Prem sized club given a bit of sustained success, nobody will convince me otherwise

PUSB

Last edited:

Evo1883

I actually think being totally honest , looking at the size of clubs already in the premier league and some outside the premier league , upper championship lower premier league is about our level , but I’d go with upper championship more .

Ring Of Steel

Post 1987:

1 Checkatrade Final 2017 43,000
2 League Two Playoff final 2018 37,000
3 CCFC v Crewe JPT 2013 30,000
4 CCFC v Accrington League Two 2018 27,750
5 CCFC v Gillingham League One 2014 27,000
6 CCFC v Chelsea FA Cup 2009 25,000
7 CCFC v Boro FA Cup 2006 24,000
8= CCFC v Leeds Championship 2010 23,000
8= CCFC v Liverpool Div 1 1987/88 22,000
8= CCFC v Forest League Cup Semi 1990 22,000
8= CCFC v Man Utd Div 1 1987/1988 22,000

There are whole clutch of 22,000 or so at the Ricoh when we got 28k and the away fans were the full 6,000- Leicester home, West Brom home in the cup etc

Almost all of them the last few years- goes to show that some ups & downs can grow your fanbase... as long as there are a few ups in there every now and then

Last edited:

rob9872

Shouldn't Accrington be in that list?

Ring Of Steel

Shouldn't Accrington be in that list?
ahem- yes, sorry :)

Going by these figures you have to say that we have a big old clump of fans who we could attract back with a bit of success, and if we got near the Prem the place would explode, we'd be up to 20k+ every week, maybe more

Ring Of Steel

36,000 and you had to give 25% to away fans in cup games, so there were 27k Cov fans there- we had 10k at Upton Park in the second leg

Ring Of Steel

All wearing the ubiquitous green flying jackets

Upton Park was something else- they opened the gates afterwards and the place was immediately swamped with flying bottles, bricks, dustbin lids even, it was an utter free-for-all. Upton Park was nasty, tough and intimidating, you felt like you were an uninvited guest at a private East End party- even the coppers were after you. We took thousands that night and for a youngster like me it was utterly bonkers all night- you'd walk down the road and everyone would be watching sussing out where you were from.

Grendel

Post 1987:

1 Checkatrade Final 2017 43,000
2 League Two Playoff final 2018 37,000
3 CCFC v Crewe JPT 2013 30,000
4 CCFC v Accrington League Two 2018 27,750
5 CCFC v Gillingham League One 2014 27,000
6 CCFC v Chelsea FA Cup 2009 25,000
7 CCFC v Boro FA Cup 2006 24,000
8= CCFC v Leeds Championship 2010 23,000
8= CCFC v Liverpool Div 1 1987/88 22,000
8= CCFC v Forest League Cup Semi 1990 22,000
8= CCFC v Man Utd Div 1 1987/1988 22,000

There are whole clutch of 22,000 or so at the Ricoh when we got 28k and the away fans were the full 6,000- Leicester home, West Brom home in the cup etc

Almost all of them the last few years- goes to show that some ups & downs can grow your fanbase... as long as there are a few ups in there every now and then

Bristol city at highfield road? We had 25,000 against Colchester at the Ricoh

rupert_bear

There were some other 40000+ gates at HR Derby in the FA Cup on a Sunday not that many Derby there just the away pen in the Kop. Also over 40k for the visit of Leeds on a Tuesday night. As for the Man United match where in 1968 there were thousands of United there, they had the West End solid end to end and most of the terrace in front of the Sky Blue stand, we Westenders had to take up position in the Spion Kop and there was a load of United in there too.

Ring Of Steel

There were some other 40000+ gates at HR Derby in the FA Cup on a Sunday not that many Derby there just the away pen in the Kop. Also over 40k for the visit of Leeds on a Tuesday night. As for the Man United match where in 1968 there were thousands of United there, they had the West End solid end to end and most of the terrace in front of the Sky Blue stand, we Westenders had to take up position in the Spion Kop and there was a load of United in there too.

That Derby game- they had 15,000 there. They talk about it as their biggest ever away following.

The Man Utd game- I was -6 years old so I had to guess, I bow to your experience on that one

The Great Eastern

Upton Park was something else- they opened the gates afterwards and the place was immediately swamped with flying bottles, bricks, dustbin lids even, it was an utter free-for-all. Upton Park was nasty, tough and intimidating, you felt like you were an uninvited guest at a private East End party- even the coppers were after you. We took thousands that night and for a youngster like me it was utterly bonkers all night- you'd walk down the road and everyone would be watching sussing out where you were from.
God only knows what it would have been like after the game if we'd won. About 75% of our many coaches had broken windows from bottles & bricks thrown in the street.
It was reported that their hard core made it back to Euston before our fans did & caused further mayhem.
I've despised that fucking club ever since that night....

wingy

God only knows what it would have been like after the game if we'd won. About 75% of our many coaches had broken windows from bottles & bricks thrown in the street. I've despised that fucking club ever since that night....
There were a few heroes of our own I believe ,knowing one of them .
Turning over a Mini Metro in the Street among other things .

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

I used to find it funny that the clubs that the media portrayed as cultured, elegant etc usually used to be the nastiest of the whole lot:

West Ham, "the academy of football"- should have been called "the academy of organised violence"
Everton "the school of science"- should have been called "the school of stanley knives"
Liverpool- "Kings of Europe"- should have been called "Kings of stealing away fans' clothes"

In those days the media really didn't have a clue what clubs were really like for 'the fans', apart from Millwall where it was impossible to dress them up as anything except for a bunch of crazed animals

Ring Of Steel

There were a few heros of our own I believe ,knowing one of them .
Turning over a Mini Metro in the Street among other things .

I clearly remember being behind about 3 CCFC fans, one was black, they didn't look too big, when some kind of East End monsters bounced across the road giving it the "lets fackin' ave it" routine, these guys looked like Grant Mitchell crossed with Thor- one of the guys in front said nothing, but calmly and efficiently laid out three of them in three punches and seeing my shock told me & my dad to walk with him- it was a young Errol Christie.

I never saw anything like that night- all around people were getting laid out, and you never really knew who was who

The Great Eastern

I clearly remember being behind about 3 CCFC fans, one was black, they didn't look too big, when some kind of East End monsters bounced across the road giving it the "lets fackin' ave it" routine, these guys looked like Grant Mitchell crossed with Thor- one of the guys in front said nothing, but calmly and efficiently laid out three of them in three punches and seeing my shock told me & my dad to walk with him- it was a young Errol Christie.

I never saw anything like that night- all around people were getting laid out, and you never really knew who was who
Yup. The Met were roundly criticised for their lack of involvement that night. Soooo.... when we played Spurs in the FA cup the following Saturday, the police presence was way OTT thankfully. Standing in a queue outside the ground after that game, it was obvious the 'Young Yids' were looking to give us a portion of exactly the same. The amount of Old Bill guaranteed that there were no noteworthy incidents.

Ring Of Steel

I've (I think) been to about 60 or so grounds now, went to West Ham three times, and Upton Park was the ONLY ground where I would never, ever open my mouth or wear anything approaching colours, it was literally too dangerous. Finding like minded people to have a scrap with is one thing, whatever you're into- but having hundreds of people hunting you down is quite another. Even the old women in doorways looked like they wanted to slit your throat for having the audacity to enter their patch.

Having said all that... its a shame thats all totally died now- not the violence- but comparing the 'London Stadium' to Upton Park- thats a prime piece of Englilsh Football culture & heritage gone forever.

The Great Eastern

Remember working with a V*lla fan many years ago when they played an FA cup game at Upton Park. Very unwisely, they decided to have a beer in a pub near the ground whilst decked out in claret & blue. The 3 of them pushed open the lounge door to be greeted by a sea of polished heads and just about stayed cool long enough to get to the bar and order 3 lagers by simply pointing at the pump and holding up 3 fingers. Whatever a Brummie accent sounds like to most people, it certainly doesn't sound like a Cockney one so the longer the drink went on without any conversation, the more it looked like they were going to be sussed. However, just at the right moment (for them) the door swung open and another bunch of V*lla fans were going to come in. They did the worst thing possible and turned round and left. Cue 90% of the locals emptying the pub in hot pursuit and leaving the way clear for my mate to quickly finish their beers and make a barely controlled but safe exit.

Covcraig@bury

Remember it very well . Going through green street across the bridge . Happy days

Hobo

No fans have ran me around more than West Ham fans whether in Coventry or London. Even on other away days it seemed to be West Ham looking a ruck you would bump into. I actually quite like the club, but hate their fans.

DannyThomas_1981

Ring of Steel. Great story. I've always had huge respect for Errol Christie (RIP) but that respect has just increased even more. What a man he was.

wantageskyblue

I've (I think) been to about 60 or so grounds now, went to West Ham three times, and Upton Park was the ONLY ground where I would never, ever open my mouth or wear anything approaching colours, it was literally too dangerous. Finding like minded people to have a scrap with is one thing, whatever you're into- but having hundreds of people hunting you down is quite another. Even the old women in doorways looked like they wanted to slit your throat for having the audacity to enter their patch.

Having said all that... its a shame thats all totally died now- not the violence- but comparing the 'London Stadium' to Upton Park- thats a prime piece of Englilsh Football culture & heritage gone forever.
I’m with you on this RoS. Only ever went to Upton Park twice, 1st time that semi final night where it was kicking off all evening ( I particularly remember Gary Thompson going to pick the ball up for a throw in at the side of the pitch where all the green bomber jacket guys were and getting loads of abuse from them). Our coach was bricked in the way out, thankfully the window didn’t smash as my mate and i were sat where it got hit.

The 2nd time was iirc the 1st game of the season in 86/87. Stood in the away section in corner which seemed to be full of their fans. Hated every minute of it. We lost 1-0 and I am sure Houchen started for us.

Can’t stand their fans and all this media/celebrity shite about them makes me angry. Horrible group of people.

rupert_bear

West Ham didn’t have it all their own way that night at Upton Park. I worked down the pit in those days with a guy known as “one punch” a West Ham mob got into our end around the half time mark, got trapped by the turnstile and old one punch laid a load of them out and I mean out, no coppers about he just Mullard them one by one including a black guy who on reflection looked suspiciously like the one who wrote that ICF book. But it was a very hairy night apart from the West Ham thugs you had evil coppers no other word for them arresting any City fan they could. Someone I know a more peaceful guy you couldn’t meet was frog marched out, arrested and when asked why was punched in the face and the copper said because you’re here.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Surely one of the largest number of City fans in one ground since 1987 and apart from Wembley last year was home against Crewe in the semi final. Must be for sure the largest number of Cov fans ever at the Ricoh. We had nearly all the away end.

Ring Of Steel

West Ham didn’t have it all their own way that night at Upton Park. I worked down the pit in those days with a guy known as “one punch” a West Ham mob got into our end around the half time mark, got trapped by the turnstile and old one punch laid a load of them out and I mean out, no coppers about he just Mullard them one by one including a black guy who on reflection looked suspiciously like the one who wrote that ICF book. But it was a very hairy night apart from the West Ham thugs you had evil coppers no other word for them arresting any City fan they could. Someone I know a more peaceful guy you couldn’t meet was frog marched out, arrested and when asked why was punched in the face and the copper said because you’re here.

I remember one of the coppers showing a West Ham pin badge on the reverse of his lapel as he walked around the pitch- Upton Park was one of those places where you could end up with everyone trying to fight you- fans, coppers, nutty locals, the lot. They used to joke that they were the only team where the coppers were part of their mob... And you’re right- it wasn’t a massacre or anything by any means, it was just the fact that so many people wanted to kick your head in and had clearly been planning how they were gonna do it that was a bit scary- christ knows what my dad was thinking taking me as my first away game :)

singers_pore

That semi final West Ham away game was mental. Only 13 at the time and accompanied by a school friend. I clearly remember the frenzy of flying doc marten boots and the glint of Stanley knives. It makes me laugh when fans today go on about a bit of swearing and smoke bombs. They’ve got no fucking idea.

Legia Sky Blue

The West Ham cup game at their place was my first away game. What an introduction! Was 16 & living in Rugby & got train - after the game was absolute mayhem. I got split up from my mates & just put my head down ignoring the flying bricks & bottles & fist fights going around me. Somehow made it to Euston where it was also kicking off - never been so relieved when the train pulled away.

Users who are viewing this thread