More Quality on the Way (1 Viewer)

Shakeitup

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/theres-more-quality-way-coventry-11696575

Despite sounding like I'm preparing a speech for a funeral I try to remain positive. (The sky is normally a shade of greyish blue right, as opposed to being grey?)

I do "trust" TM to make good judgement calls on what the squad needs and where we are lacking (all over?), I certainly didn't feel this under SP!

However, I can't help but feel this is a make or break season for TM and us!

I guess we have been so used to managers settling for whatever player an agent shoves under his nose (lest we forget: Manset, Edge, etc.) but it's a risk starting the season and still recruiting. Let's hope he can bring in the quality he mentions!

CovisGod

With the risk of sounding like a pessemestic idiot.....

Heard it all before "players on the way", how long have we been listening to that for now ? Sure we may get one more in and a couple of loans but in terms of squad depth, we burnt out by Christmas last year with what, 15 more players than we have now ?

I can already see the "ones that got away", "business to be done in January" headlines for when the window closes.

This is Cov through and through, for as long as they're trying to flog season tickets they'll drip feed us hope.

I think we're in for a long rocky one this season.

Otis

Without the risk of sounding like a pessimistic idiot....

Who else gets all twitchy when our manager says of a player, the immortal words 'He can also play at centre half!'

Shakeitup

With the risk of sounding like a pessemestic idiot.....

Heard it all before "players on the way", how long have we been listening to that for now ? Sure we may get one more in and a couple of loans but in terms of squad depth, we burnt out by Christmas last year with what, 15 more players than we have now ?

I can already see the "ones that got away", "business to be done in January" headlines for when the window closes.

This is Cov through and through, for as long as they're trying to flog season tickets they'll drip feed us hope.

I think we're in for a long rocky one this season.

Totally how I was feeling until this morning (I did change my cereal so it may be that!)

I know there's always spin, but as a few on here have alluded to: if this all goes wrong then these decisions look bad on TM.

If you need a drop of positivity...at least we've not signed Kevin Malaga hey!

MatthewWallis

We are seriously shooting ourselves in the foot. It's almost as if we have written off the first 4/5 games of the season already, we've known the season starts on Saturday for ages but TM is saying it's okay because we still have five weeks to bring people in. Should have all been done already, I understand that he might have missed out on targets but he should have had his plan b and plan c already in place

Deity

I'm sure it was Mogga's preference to bring players in early but he has not been able to and he is clearly frustrated by that. However he is right to still be very selective over who he brings in, particularly given that change in the loan rule.

It was proven last year that you can still get promoted even if you are struggling at Christmas so the end of Aug is not a problem.

Kingokings204

I bet having not the hardest August in the world helps Becuase Swindon on Saturday don't look much tbh. We are actually favourites according to bookies away from home.

Then would anymore really care if we lost to Portsmouth in the league cup. I wouldn't be heartbroken. Then shrewsbury at home. Not the hardest 3 games in the world. We have a bit of time if it means getting quality players in.

Captain Dart

We are seriously shooting ourselves in the foot. It's almost as if we have written off the first 4/5 games of the season already, we've known the season starts on Saturday for ages but TM is saying it's okay because we still have five weeks to bring people in. Should have all been done already, I understand that he might have missed out on targets but he should have had his plan b and plan c already in place

5 weeks, there are 6 games before the transfer window shuts at the end of August. :rolleyes:

robbiekeane

I bet having not the hardest August in the world helps Becuase Swindon on Saturday don't look much tbh. We are actually favourites according to bookies away from home.

Then would anymore really care if we lost to Portsmouth in the league cup. I wouldn't be heartbroken. Then shrewsbury at home. Not the hardest 3 games in the world. We have a bit of time if it means getting quality players in.
Yeh and I reckon this has probably been a factor in decision making

Yorkshire SB

Very happy with our start to the season. Swindon are in disarray, and Bury and Shrewsbury look average and we're at home. Hopefully by the time we're playing Bradford away we'll have a few more bodies through the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

Prem sides have just decided who they will be letting go out on loan. Most of them will prefer their players to go to championship clubs. Some will have to go to clubs at our level.

I am not going to spit my dummy out until I know which loan players we are bringing in. It could cover half of our outfield players each game.

covcity4life

Either trust in Mowbray or dont.

dont say yeah i do trust him buttttttttttttt sisu out, NOPM, killing this club, no new players etc

the players will be here by end of window and we will be better than last year!

Ashdown

Has he really missed out on his targets though or is this another manager adapting the bullshit his employers are ordering him to spout. Has he missed out because he hasn't been granted enough funds or wage clout until they have signed elsewhere, it happens every season at Cov.................

Nick

Administrator
Has he really missed out on his targets though or is this another manager adapting the bullshit his employers are ordering him to spout. Has he missed out because he hasn't been granted enough funds or wage clout until they have signed elsewhere, it happens every season at Cov.................

So SISU are forcing him to lie?

He will have been told how much he has to spend, he then goes from there. The same as every football manager, does he get 2 not so good players or 1 better player. Those sort of decisions.

League 1 Manager without unlimited pot of money shocker.

robbiekeane

Maybe he's really an alien and he has been too preoccupied with dominating planet earth, whilst also trying to balance his secret love affair with Kylie Minogue

Brylowes

Either trust in Mowbray or dont.

dont say yeah i do trust him buttttttttttttt sisu out, NOPM, killing this club, no new players etc

the players will be here by end of window and we will be better than last year!
I do trust TM but, in our financial position targets we want are always likely to go elsewhere
As we can't compete with wages and fees offered . For this reason I feel it would make
sense to secure players before releasing players like Martin.

Nick

Administrator
I do trust TM but, in our financial position targets we want are always likely to go elsewhere
As we can't compete with wages and fees offered . For this reason I feel it would make

If thats the case then it says TM is spending all his time looking at the wrong targets doesn't it?

SKYBLUES90

I really don't understand why everyone is so adamant that we have to sign people before the season starts on Saturday and that if we don't and say we lost the first 5 that's the season over.

Barnsley were bottom of the league at Christmas and well their season wasnt a write off was it.

People need to relax, I'd much rather wait and recruit the right people than panic buy and end up with Stephen Hunt, Henderson, Ramage type players

Brylowes

If thats the case then it says TM is spending all his time looking at the wrong targets doesn't it?
In the case of Kelvin Robert, I would say it was obvious a team higher up the ladder
and with more to offer would get involved, and obvious he would take the money.

Nick

Administrator
It does a bit yeah !

Thats the thing, people are saying they trust TM and that he is going a great job and it is down to finance etc. However, TM knows his budgets and if he is sat around speaking to players who were on 20k a week last season then they are bound to be holding out for a higher offer that is out of our range.

dongonzalos

Thats the thing, people are saying they trust TM and that he is going a great job and it is down to finance etc. However, TM knows his budgets and if he is sat around speaking to players who were on 20k a week last season then they are bound to be holding out for a higher offer that is out of our range.

I hope that isn't the case
And I hope Vince wasn't sold to fund said wages. Which then didn't come off.

rupert_bear

I know it seems slow going and frustrating but that's how it is nowadays, there's a bit of a pecking order, Prem teams do their bit, championship teams pick the bones then the rest of us look at what's left I would be very surprised if TM isn't sitting there with a wish for list waiting. We need more but counting the Bulgarian and Jodie Jones we have a few decent players that have come in, I think although a bit thin on the ground we are a bit better than this time player wise quality wise.

covcity4life

so you are saying you are smarter than mowbray?

he should have kept martin and continued to payh is wages so that he could play a few games in august??????????????

martin is not good enough for mowbray, of course he should not have been kept on if hes not gonna play long term.

Brylowes

I really don't understand why everyone is so adamant that we have to sign people before the season starts on Saturday and that if we don't and say we lost the first 5 that's the season over.

Barnsley were bottom of the league at Christmas and well their season wasnt a write off was it.

People need to relax, I'd much rather wait and recruit the right people than panic buy and end up with Stephen Hunt, Henderson, Ramage type players
That may have some truth in it but if we lose the first 5 games of the season
We will be more likely to endure a relegation season
Than enjoy a promotion season. IMHO

covcity4life

looking at likely 11 for first game its only 1 cb and 1 wing back position where we will be playing untested kids.

2 positions out of 11.

panic is ott

skybluebeduff

The CET must sit there and watch Bill Murray in Groundhog Day all day, and try to replicate it with their publishes.

Brylowes

looking at likely 11 for first game its only 1 cb and 1 wing back position where we will be playing untested kids.

2 positions out of 11.

panic is ott
But they're key positions especially in the way we're likely to set up, it's one thing putting
Kids in if on merit and they've been promoted to the first team as their time has arrived.
But this isn't the case, it's because we have nobody else, of course I hope they shine
And nail down their position for the season, and that could happen.
But I am a bit worried.

covcity4life

but what is the alrternative? reduce the budget by keeping martin on for a few games?

its vital that TM does not rush into buying a cb. we need the right type.

ccfcway

2 positions out of 11.

panic is ott

Not panicking, but we have 3 games in 7 days and only Tudgay who has any experience on the bench.

Ricketts wont be able to play 3 games in 7 days and its not like Willis isn't prone to an injury or two.

I'm not concerned, its just a shame we are in this position. Fingers crossed we will be all hailing TM at the end of the season for this strategy

Grendel

I hope that isn't the case
And I hope Vince wasn't sold to fund said wages. Which then didn't come off.

Mowbray said he didn't want a player who didn't want to stay here.

Grendel

he should have kept martin and continued to payh is wages so that he could play a few games in august??????????????

martin is not good enough for mowbray, of course he should not have been kept on if hes not gonna play long term.

The problem is though if Mowbray sees the likes of Wilson as a replacement that's not a realistic alternative as he's wages would always be too high.

Brylowes

No I'm just saying it might be sensible to dock your boat before
Selling your last life jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread