Montenegro (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

They scored a good goal in what was probably their first attack. We didn’t panic and turned it around pretty quickly. A good professional performance and as others have said in the past we would’ve ended up drawing 1-1. Things are changing are the better. Despite the score line I felt the Montenegrins still gave a reasonable account of themselves on the pitch so deserved the standing ovation we gave them when they left the pitch. It was a bit frustrating that there were so many empty seats in the home end given our small allocation. We could’ve sold it out 2 or 3 times over.

With regards to the racial abuse, we did say during the game it sounded like it has been reported but we weren’t 100%. It’s shocking in this day and age that it can happen and hopefully they’ll be severely punished. Moving their home games to a neutral venue for the rest of the campaign would be a good start.

Otis

With a name like MonteNEGRO you would think they would be a bit more tolerant wouldn't you.

CJ_covblaze

Mucca Mad Boys

Yes really, its Montenegro not France or Brazil. We always do this. Romp through qualifying and get over excited thinking we've got a chance of winning something.

It's only two games in, but you must have been impressed with the performances we've put out under Southgate, the Czech Republic is the 2nd seed in our group and Montenegro has been a difficult place to go for past England teams, and to come away with 10 goals is fantastic. I'd agree that past England managers have papered over the cracks by beating average teams in an unconvincing manner. But, even beating Spain 3-2 away shows that we're very much going in the right direction and having players like Kane and Sterling makes us a dangerous team indeed.

This World Cup is a strange one, we had an 'easy' run into the semi-finals but this last tournament will benefit our national psyche massively because we've got to a semi-final of a major tournament and we've got the penalty hoodoo off our backs too and it bodes well going into 2020 and 2022. Personally, I think had we played Germany in the quarters, it would've been the reverse of the 2010 World Cup fixture because they were very, very lacklustre and Spain would've been there for the taking to in my view. Both teams were stale in Russia.

The future is genuinely bright under Southgate, plenty of good talent coming through and Southgate seems to be the perfect man for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread