Modern day legends (1 Viewer)

Cally Fedora

If you’re opening it up to cover all time it brings loads in. Regis & Peake for definite. Hutchison. All time midfield 3 for me, that I’ve seen, would be McAllister, McGrath and Powell.

DannyThomas_1981

If you’re opening it up to cover all time it brings loads in. Regis & Peake for definite. Hutchison. All time midfield 3 for me, that I’ve seen, would be McAllister, McGrath and Powell.
I hear you Cally and it's completely subjective, Powell was just before my time as well!

McGrath was a destroyer but very limited on the ball - not saying he wasn't brilliant at what he did but he didn't have the all round game.

McAllister - came with a huge price tag for the day (the biggest club signing in the UK that year?), underperformed very badly for 2 years and the team actually improved when he was out with Boateng stepping up. He was very improved in the third season but only with Palmer to do the heavy lifting. To be fair he was playing under an awful manager and management team.

In short nearly impossible to compare - and your counter view to mine would be that Mcallister etc. were playing at the top level which I agree is hard for me to defend. I just see Hamer and Vik as two of the most brilliant performers in their positions - might be recent bias as well on my side.

Regis - amazing qualities but I go for Vik for his all round game and domination of defences on his own. Defenders worst nightmare last year.

The more I think about this - the harder to compare eras the game has changed so much.

DannyThomas_1981

Godden - Legend
Fadz - Legend
O’hare - Legend
Kelly - Legend

Unsure why I’m seeing Hamer shouts
because he was fucking brilliant Sloth and drove us nearly single handedly with Vik to being 1 kick away from the Prem.
It's not even a debate in my book.

Grendel

In terms of a 3 man midfield I'd go with Hamer, Boateng, Hunt. That's assuming a 4-3-3. I just think Hamer has that special factor as a true 8. Completely realise that very good arguments could me made for other players with very different qualities - just my opinion.

Forwards love Dublin and Wallace. But Gyo in his final season was the most unplayable forward I have seen in the shirt - for me there was another dimension to his game.

Wallace must have left before you supported the club

Hamer never played at the top level

Hunt is just random

DannyThomas_1981

He (Hamer) also cried off with cramp in the moment we needed him most because he was scared to take a penalty. Embarrassing
I guess you are referring to the play off final?

If so that's complete nonsense and you could not be more wrong - no further debate required. Haters going to hate I guess for some unknown reason. We have some weird fans.

Cally Fedora

I hear you Cally and it's completely subjective, Powell was just before my time as well!

McGrath was a destroyer but very limited on the ball - not saying he wasn't brilliant at what he did but he didn't have the all round game.

McAllister - came with a huge price tag for the day (the biggest club signing in the UK that year?), underperformed very badly for 2 years and the team actually improved when he was out with Boateng stepping up. He was very improved in the third season but only with Palmer to do the heavy lifting. To be fair he was playing under an awful manager and management team.

In short nearly impossible to compare - and your counter view to mine would be that Mcallister etc. were playing at the top level which I agree is hard for me to defend. I just see Hamer and Vik as two of the most brilliant performers in their positions - might be recent bias as well on my side.

Regis - amazing qualities but I go for Vik for his all round game and domination of defences on his own. Defenders worst nightmare last year.

The more I think about this - the harder to compare eras the game has changed so much.
Agree re McGrath - he wouldn’t have had a career nowadays. McAllister was a lot better than you describe - especially when he linked with Keane.

DannyThomas_1981

Wallace must have left before you supported the club

Hamer never played at the top level

Hunt is just random
Wallace was my childhood hero who I had the pleasure to meet last year but I still would place Vik above him in my all time. Very different players in every sense.

Hamer. I have seen few players in our team who could single handedly drive forward and change the direction of games.

Steve Hunt was in England squads from 1982 and capped in 1984 - not so random and simply one of the best I have seen in midfield.

harvey098

Surprised Kelly isn't down as a certified legend.

Was vital in promotion from both League 1 & 2.

Came back into the midfield in the first season in the Championship and helped keep up us.

It looked over for him last season and he came into the side and helped us get one kick away from the Prem.

Been way more important to the club than some of the others mentioned - even if they are better players.

100% this. Any player with us from league 2 to the top 6 of the championship should be considered a legend but Kelly especially played a pivotal role in all this. I’m amazed he isn’t more revered amongst fans.

I’m mates with Sam Field (plays for QPR) and he got me Kelly’s shirt when we played them a couple of years ago. Said he was a top bloke.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpeg
    IMG_0780.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Hertsccfc

Wallace was my childhood hero who I had the pleasure to meet last year but I still would place Vik above him in my all time. Very different players in every sense.

Hamer. I have seen few players in our team who could single handedly drive forward and change the direction of games.

Steve Hunt was in England squads from 1982 and capped in 1984 - not so random and simply one of the best I have seen in midfield.
Steve Hunt would be in my all time 11.

Gyokeres hasn't played at the top level for us so I don't see how you can say he was better than players who scored more then he did in the Championship.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Can we really class any as legendary in the last 15 years? Some nice moments, some genius play but all at a lower level to other legends of old.
Godden has to be a modern day one for his goals and hatricks.
Gyok, Hamer and O’Hare have given us glimpses of what we used to have many years ago, not sure if long enough here or contributed enough for the legendary status unless that status is just being loved by fans.
Robins and AdI - I would say yes, turned this club around and multiple teams over the years to adjust to promotions and chekatrade win

Sick Boy

I guess you are referring to the play off final?

If so that's complete nonsense and you could not be more wrong - no further debate required. Haters going to hate I guess for some unknown reason. We have some weird fans.
shake it off taylor swift GIF

Langers70

Doyle had one good season with us in reality and was paid a lot of money in his first spell while achieving very little. Robbie Savage had all the “qualities” you describe
Fair enough.I’ve probably got my rose tinted spectacles on,as he was one of my favourite players.Like I said he was never really outstanding,but I still feel we need a player with his “qualities”

TomRad85

Hamer ahead of both McAllister (who wasn’t great for us IMO) and Boateng (who didn’t have the passing or shooting of Hamer) for me. Not enjoyed watching a player so much since Keane.
I assume your comparing for the levels they played at for us? It's difficult to compare players playing at different levels tbh, even someone like Hadji was obviously a significantly better player than Hamer.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

McAllisters final season for us in particular he was bloody fantastic btw.

shmmeee

I assume your comparing for the levels they played at for us? It's difficult to compare players playing at different levels tbh, even someone like Hadji was obviously a significantly better player than Hamer.

You say that but is modern day Championship that different from the PL twenty years ago? I’m not so sure. Obviously the quality bar was higher but overall I think the average quality wasn’t a million miles away. There’s only about 10 places between where we finished last season and our average position in the Prem.

I was never massively impressed with Hadji either TBH and a different type of player IIRC. Like McAllister on their career miles ahead but for City alone I’m not so sure.

shmmeee

His second spell was at this level wasn’t it?

It was my uni years so didn’t get to watch the team much which may explain it.

TomRad85

You say that but is modern day Championship that different from the PL twenty years ago? I’m not so sure. Obviously the quality bar was higher but overall I think the average quality wasn’t a million miles away. There’s only about 10 places between where we finished last season and our average position in the Prem.

I was never massively impressed with Hadji either TBH and a different type of player IIRC. Like McAllister on their career miles ahead but for City alone I’m not so sure.
Well Hadji was doing it against Arsenal with players like Henry while Hamer was doing it against a bunch of teams playing in a league where an absolutely shite Sheffield Utd team finished 2nd and bloody Luton Town got promoted. So yes I'd say there's quite a big difference.

shmmeee

Well Hadji was doing it against Arsenal with players like Henry while Hamer was doing it against a bunch of teams playing in a league where an absolutely shite Sheffield Utd team finished 2nd and bloody Luton Town got promoted. So yes I'd say there's quite a big difference.

I dunno, outside the top six I’m not sure the gulf was what it is today. You say Henry I say David Rennie.

TomRad85

I dunno, outside the top six I’m not sure the gulf was what it is today. You say Henry I say David Rennie.
When Hadji came the influx of foreign internationals into the Premier League was full steam ahead. Hence us getting Hadji I suppose.
The Championship is much better now sure but don't make me tap the Sheffield Utd and Luton sign again. They are poor sides.

shmmeee

When Hadji came the influx of foreign internationals into the Premier League was full steam ahead. Hence us getting Hadji I suppose.
The Championship is much better now sure but don't make me tap the Sheffield Utd and Luton sign again. They are poor sides.

Thats fair. And as I say they’re definitely better players. I’m just not sure about the argument you can’t be a club legend until you’ve done it in today’s PL because in 19tickety2 Clarence Longbottom scored in the old division one. Quality changes, especially as the game moves on overall. The same argument is levelled at Robins but I don’t accept it. Each manager and player has their own unique set of circumstances that can’t be replicated IMO. And for me I enjoyed watching Hamer more than McAllister, closer with Hadji but I’d say he was less Hollywood than Gus too. Though maybe that’s because the whole team was pretty Hollywood.

TomRad85

Thats fair. And as I say they’re definitely better players. I’m just not sure about the argument you can’t be a club legend until you’ve done it in today’s PL because in 19tickety2 Clarence Longbottom scored in the old division one. Quality changes, especially as the game moves on overall. The same argument is levelled at Robins but I don’t accept it. Each manager and player has their own unique set of circumstances that can’t be replicated IMO. And for me I enjoyed watching Hamer more than McAllister, closer with Hadji but I’d say he was less Hollywood than Gus too. Though maybe that’s because the whole team was pretty Hollywood.
No no I wasn't saying you can't be a club legend, I was just saying it's hard to compare like you were doing against Boateng and McAllister. You absolutely can be one, Robins is certainly one at this point... the players I'm not sure, we've had some important players on our journey back, dunno who I'd call a legend, would have to sit on it for a bit.

Sick Boy

His second spell was at this level wasn’t it?

It was my uni years so didn’t get to watch the team much which may explain it.
Yes, the team had been completely rebuilt due to budget cuts and his quality shone through. I always remember that season as the start of the decline as it quickly became obvious we weren’t going back up anytime soon.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
I didn't think McAllister was great for us at first, I never understood if it was the dross that was around him or his inevitable step down mindset but his last year was certainly better where we saw incredible quality from him and with the other players, definitely not a great for us or a legend in my view. Boateng had an ability like Hamer to grab the game and drive it forward but didn't do it enough, disappeared in games. Hamer has been a far better watch for me than those players, still not sure if it makes him a legend but he certainly is one of my favourite players to have watched and wished he was still in the team, we genuinely would be top 3/4 easily.

DannyThomas_1981

It really wasn't single handed, that's a complete disservice to other players that contributed heavily and continue to do so

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Read the post. I stated with Vik and Hamer we had 2 first class players with the ability to change games. Complete game changers and they don''t come along very often. Without those 2 guys we would not have been near the play offs. It's not a disservice to any other player - one of the key things about last season was team unity and quality in other positions (for example, Doyle). But it's a fact, we had 2 game changers on the pitch.

Hertsccfc

Read the post. I stated with Vik and Hamer we had 2 first class players with the ability to change games. Complete game changers and they don''t come along very often. Without those 2 guys we would not have been near the play offs. It's not a disservice to any other player - one of the key things about last season was team unity and quality in other positions (for example, Doyle). But it's a fact, we had 2 game changers on the pitch.
They were both really good players. But we have had players who played at least as well for us in the Premier League in the period you were talking about.

Grendel

In terms of a 3 man midfield I'd go with Hamer, Boateng, Hunt. That's assuming a 4-3-3. I just think Hamer has that special factor as a true 8. Completely realise that very good arguments could me made for other players with very different qualities - just my opinion.

Forwards love Dublin and Wallace. But Gyo in his final season was the most unplayable forward I have seen in the shirt - for me there was another dimension to his game.

Hunt was in reality a left winger - you are suggesting I assume Hamer playing on the right of a 3 with Boatang in the middle. That doesn’t work really.

Grendel

Terry Gibson was a game changer in the 80’s and kept us in the top flight

skybluecam

As someone in their mid 20's I'd say Doyle, McSheffrey, Baker and maybe Shipley. I'm hesitant to name players still with us but Kelly, Fadz and O'Hare if he stays could be in contention.

Not sure what I'd classify Vik and Gus as but they do have a place in our history.

Last edited:

DannyThomas_1981

Terry Gibson was a game changer in the 80’s and kept us in the top flight
So you're selecting Gibson as your best ever forward - ahead of Gyo? That's ok as it's impossible to prove across different eras and purely an opinion.

Albeit as interesting opinion as usual.

I know who I would have leading the line, Gyo is the most 'unplayable' player for defenders I have seen in the shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread