Model after Brentford? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

This is CCFC with 35 years in the premiership, not a minnow club doing grand things above their station. They are doing well, but we can do much better once we have new owners, a stadium and bring back the fan base that far bigger than Brentford! I feel insulted.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

This is CCFC with 35 years in the premiership, not a minnow club doing grand things above their station. They are doing well, but we can do much better once we have new owners, a stadium and bring back the fan base that far bigger than Brentford! I feel insulted.
What's your point? They've finished above us every year for pretty much the last decade. Their business model is what we should be aiming for in the present. Sunderland are a much bigger club than Fulham, but I know who's model I would rather be following.

Paxman II

Sunderland bigger than us. They could demand 40k every week. Why would they follow Brentford's business plan? i get it for brentford a small club they have an ideal business plan that has worked for them. We are not all the same.

Johhny Blue

Be short sighted if you want. Come back to me when Brentford have 30k every week and hold themselves in the premiership for some 30 odd years.
Sorry if you think that’s short sighted.
How about if we lose to Watford and score 7 against Cardiff

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Sunderland bigger than us. They could demand 40k every week. Why would they follow Brentford's business plan? i get it for brentford a small club they have an ideal business plan that has worked for them. We are not all the same.
Yes, they are bigger than us, but their current business model is absolutely shite. What do you want, a trophy because we were in the top flight for a sustained period that finished two decades ago? I'm surprised Huddersfield fans don't turn their nose up at little old Spurs given they have more league titles than them.

skyblueelephant76

Be short sighted if you want. Come back to me when Brentford have 30k every week and hold themselves in the premiership for some 30 odd years.
We haven't had 30k a week in the 35 years I've been a supporter.

Based on our current position Brentford are something to aspire to. Their transfer policy has helped them progress and they've just built a new stadium. How is trying to follow any of that bad?

Also, some context as to where this has come from would be nice :)

Hobo

But the Sunderland model is not working at all.

Grendel

I assume Paxman thinks Huddersfield town are huge in comparison to us

Barnsley

Yeah I think yourselves, Wensdeh, Derby, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Ipswich, Forest, Birmingham, should carry on as you are, it’s working wonders.

Don’t bother following the lead of a club who are developing £100M worth of talent, and constantly performing at an higher level than the aforementioned clubs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah I think yourselves, Wensdeh, Derby, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Ipswich, Forest, Birmingham, should carry on as you are, it’s working wonders.

Don’t bother following the lead of a club who are developing £100M worth of talent, and constantly performing at an higher level than the aforementioned clubs.

Paxman by name, Pacman by nature.

procdoc

What is the point of this thread? Our previous business model led us to league two, selling our best players on the cheap on the way down. Brentford sell their best players for shit loads and have replacements ready to step in. They have built a new ground that I assume they own and they are promotion candidates. The ‘we spent over 30 years in the top flight’ argument no longer washes as that ended 20 years ago

shmmeee

What exactly do you think the way we are carrying on is?

Barnsley

What exactly do you think the way we are carrying on is?

I’d say it’s the way Brentford and ourselves are trying to operate, but like us without the initial financial injection that the Brentford owner pumped in. People tend to think Brentford have got to this level on a shoestring budget, they most certainly haven’t, they’ve steadily increased their wage bill in recent years, but initially it went up with a massive bump.

fernandopartridge

What's your point? They've finished above us every year for pretty much the last decade. Their business model is what we should be aiming for in the present. Sunderland are a much bigger club than Fulham, but I know who's model I would rather be following.
Not to mention they had a small ground in West London that was worth enough to fund building a new one in the same area. Our owners sold Highfield Rd before a property boom.

We're in different leagues now, we are never going to get the investment we need to be in the sort of position they are.

clint van damme

I’d say it’s the way Brentford and ourselves are trying to operate, but like us without the initial financial injection that the Brentford owner pumped in. People tend to think Brentford have got to this level on a shoestring budget, they most certainly haven’t, they’ve steadily increased their wage bill in recent years, but initially it went up with a massive bump.

most 'fairy tale rises' involve a hefty cash injection.

Dazmataz

Building consistently and sustainability towards promotion whilst playing exciting attacking football. You're right mate, who would want that?

Kilclines curly mullet

Complete lack of reality

Barnsley

most 'fairy tale rises' involve a hefty cash injection.

The thing is he didn’t splash out on transfer fees, he got his players in relatively cheap, so people think they’ve done it on a shoestring, but what he did do was invest quite heavily on renewing contracts. Last summer you signed Gustavo Hamer on a 3 year deal, If Brentford had signed him on the same contract as you, after the January window, he’d now have five and an half years left to run on his £18K to £25k a week contract. Thats the difference. in the summer you’ll be lucky to get £6M for him as he only as two years left, whereas Brentford would sell him for £20M next summer because he’s got 4 years left. That’s what you need to do to make this strategy work, we just don’t have the initial outlay to make it work to its fullest as Brentford are.

Grendel

I don’t understand how any comparisons can be made to us and them anyway

Sick Boy

I don’t understand how any comparisons can be made to us and them anyway
We’ve not been in the top division for 2 decades, meaning to a sizeable proportion of football fans we’re regarded as a lower league club.

Reactions: vow

Grendel

We’ve not been in the top division for 2 decades, meaning to a sizeable proportion of football fans we’re regarded as a lower league club.

It not even just that - they have had a strategic owner whose also investment huge amounts of his personal fortune into the club - £113 million it seems from the very detailed accounts they produce

Users who are viewing this thread