Missing the old stadiums (2 Viewers)

skyblue1991

Plenty of traditional grounds that have been modernised next season. Bramall Lane, City Ground, Craven Cottage, Hawthorns etc...

I miss some of the really small grounds in League 2. Accrington Stanley was an experience!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

oscillatewildly

Remember the old South Bank at Molineux . Massive 20,000 standing only terrace. I Remember about 500 of us being surrounded there and watching the whole game shitting myself that we'd get a kick in.
Managed to get back to the station unscathed
First visit to Molyneux 1981 and stood on that terrace - Second only to the Holte end in size. It was huge.

oscillatewildly

I’d planned to take them all on this season at their manor...bloody lockdown saving them from my dukes! Cant be bothered now...
Same here, I was well up for it. Got to Bermondsey, was perfecting my 1980's 'arm swing' march (WTF was that all about?) then realised I'd left my face mask at home so I just came back. Gutted.

ovduk78

Only went once - Xmas time 1995 or 1996. Stood on that (half) terrace. I think it was officially the coldest day in the history of football.
Was that the 2-1 win with Salako & Whelan getting the goals? You're right, it was cold and even surpassed the away end at Roker Park in the League Cup when Speedie was sent off.

lord_garrincha

Only ever went there once also - Had no intention of going but got a comp off Micky Gynn the night before down at Whitley members club.
Of which I was never a member.
Disgusting... I think someone should dig up the graves of the committee members so they can conduct a disciplinary on you!!!

SkyBlueCharlie9

Love Hillsborough barely changed in 40 years (seats aside). Bramhall Lane and City Ground get a mention.
But don't get me started on Priestfield- Gillingham.

Torquay Sky Blue

Love Hillsborough barely changed in 40 years (seats aside). Bramhall Lane and City Ground get a mention.
Yes the less said about Gillingham the better. What about Kenilworth Rd and the mess they made of that or Orient and "we can see you washing up"

Liquid Gold

Plenty of traditional grounds that have been modernised next season. Bramall Lane, City Ground, Craven Cottage, Hawthorns etc...

I miss some of the really small grounds in League 2. Accrington Stanley was an experience!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Stanley weren’t that far off being a championship team. Can’t have been a ground that bad at this level for ages.

ccfc1234

I am sure on another thread somewhere fans are complaining they miss highfield road. Urban stadiums while harder to police are much nicer as they are embedded in the community not a patch if land in the outskirts of the city.

It’sabatch87

Shitholes I’ve been to:
The old Den
The Dell
Kenilworth Road
The manor ground
Priestfield
Scarborough
Plough lane
Millmoor
Sutton Utd
Northampton’s old ground/Cricket pitch
Wrexham
Filbert shite
Hereford
Baseball ground
Memorial stadium
Stockport
Oldham
Ninian park
Burnden park

slowpoke

First time I went to Hillsbrough their Kop end had no roof and was huge same with Villa went there in the 60s and there was no roof on the Holte either it makes the ends look massive. Also the old Valley stadium v Charlton that ground was massive record gate 75000 nearly all terracing there were three sides of the ground all as big as the Holte or the Wolves South Bank and the one pokey grand stand.

wantageskyblue

Shitholes I’ve been to:
The old Den
The Dell
Kenilworth Road
The manor ground
Priestfield
Scarborough
Plough lane
Millmoor
Sutton Utd
Wrexham
Filbert shite
Hereford
Baseball ground
Memorial stadium
Stockport
Oldham
Ninian park
Burnden park
1st time I went to Millmoor was in LC in 86-7 (iirc we signed Emerson shortly after) and I thought it was a tidy ground. Went back 1st time round in Championship and it was looking very tired.

I would also add The Vetch Field, Ashton Gate (before re-development) and Newport’s current ground to your list.

It’sabatch87

1st time I went to Millmoor was in LC in 86-7 (iirc we signed Emerson shortly after) and I thought it was a tidy ground. Went back 1st time round in Championship and it was looking very tired.

I would also add The Vetch Field, Ashton Gate (before re-development) and Newport’s current ground to your list.
Yes agree Rodney parade was something else especially in the rain and that night with the rain at Ashton gate 2-1 win Moussa and Webster scoring in our Brazil kit!!

COV

First time I went to Hillsbrough their Kop end had no roof and was huge same with Villa went there in the 60s and there was no roof on the Holte either it makes the ends look massive. Also the old Valley stadium v Charlton that ground was massive record gate 75000 nearly all terracing there were three sides of the ground all as big as the Holte or the Wolves South Bank and the one pokey grand stand.

The old kop at St Andrews used to hold 48,000

slowpoke

The old kop at St Andrews used to hold 48,000
Yes that was massive but I think the largest of that type of terrace was the Kippax at Maine Road that ground held over 80000 again mainly terracing , Tottenham’s Shelf was large too.

Bad Boy

Shitholes I’ve been to:
The old Den
The Dell
Kenilworth Road
The manor ground
Priestfield
Scarborough
Plough lane
Millmoor
Sutton Utd
Wrexham
Filbert shite
Hereford
Baseball ground
Memorial stadium
Stockport
Oldham
Ninian park
Burnden park
Got to include Layer Road surely

COV

I hear a lot of people talk with nostalgia about old grounds, and while I do agree to a degree it can get a bit over the top.

For example:
Baseball Ground, Upton Park= brilliant atmosphere, proper football grounds. Add Goodison to the list when that goes.
Layer Road, Millmoor= horrible places, better off without them. Add Kenilworth Rd to the list when that goes.

Bottom line is that fans have changed more than grounds. We are now an "audience" who purchase a "product" and an "experience" and who will not really make a sound unless they are "entertained" and will think nothing of booing should things not go well. And although some grounds lent themselves more to atmosphere than others, its mainly fans that make atmosphere

Fill the new style bowls with the rabid, boisterous, loud as hell fans from the 70s and nobody would be saying a word about atmosphere.

Travs

Ninian Park in the UK.

In Italy... loved Atalanta (although it has been redeveloped somewhat so that they can host European games which are becoming a regular for them).

Hellas Verona and Bologna are fine old stadiums.

Wasn't too taken by the Rome Olimpico (although the atmosphere for the derby was hot).... but implore anyone to visit the San Siro while they still can.

Kneeza

First visit to Molyneux 1981 and stood on that terrace - Second only to the Holte end in size. It was huge.
I first went in the late sixties, around bonfire night it was. Bloody Wolves fans were launching rockets at us from the North Bank, the length of the pitch. Then they charged but were stopped at the halfway line by the feds.
Don't know how we made it back to the station in one piece after the game.
Happy days!

Edit: Just checked. It was 67/68, and we lost 2-0 (I coulda sworn it was 2-1).

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

I first went in the late sixties, around bonfire night it was. Bloody Wolves fans were launching rockets at us from the North Bank, the length of the pitch. Then they charged but were stopped at the halfway line by the feds.
Don't know how we made it back to the station in one piece after the game.
Happy days!

Edit: Just checked. It was 67/68, and we lost 2-0 (I coulda sworn it was 2-1).
Stopped by the Feds?

Users who are viewing this thread