Missing piece of the jigsaw (2 Viewers)

Theonlywayisskyblue

Found the 500th piece last night. For those of us of a certain age this was the most exciting team we saw in Sky Blue. Hutch, Ian Wallace, Fergie, Garry Thompson, Terry Yorath, Steve Hunt, Bobby Mac, Graham Oakey, Jim Blyth, Garry Gillespie, Paul Dyson. Memories of the 5-4 v Norwich, beating Liverpool 1-0 at home, Fergie scoring 4 against Bobby Robson's Ipswich; never forgave them for beating Arsenal in 78; imagine Fergie and Wallace terrorising European defences ?!

20240229_093214.jpg

SkyBlueGuy

Found the 500th piece last night. For those of us of a certain age this was the most exciting team we saw in Sky Blue. Hutch, Ian Wallace, Fergie, Garry Thompson, Terry Yorath, Steve Hunt, Bobby Mac, Graham Oakey, Jim Blyth, Garry Gillespie, Paul Dyson. Memories of the 5-4 v Norwich, beating Liverpool 1-0 at home, Fergie scoring 4 against Bobby Robson's Ipswich; never forgave them for beating Arsenal in 78; imagine Fergie and Wallace terrorising European defences ?!

View attachment 34324

Question: if you could have one player from this team added to the current squad, who would you go in for?

Calista

Just out of interest, what was the missing piece - a random bunch of seats in the stand, or a crucial part of a player's anatomy?

And where did you find it!

Theonlywayisskyblue

Just out of interest, what was the missing piece - a random bunch of seats in the stand, or a crucial part of a player's anatomy?

And where did you find it!
It wasn't there last night - missing piece of the stand - but mysteriously appeared on the floor this morning perhaps thanks to our 14-year old :unsure: great fun putting it together though I was only 14 when I got it and I suspect it took me longer back then to finish it !!!

Theonlywayisskyblue

Question: if you could have one player from this team added to the current squad, who would you go in for?
How do you choose ? To improve the team now I'd go for Jim Blyth but would also find a way of squeezing in Hutch and Ian Wallace !!!! Hutch my favourite ever Sky Blue but I'm not convinced by either of our keepers and it's such an important position. What about you ?

Tile Hill Phil

View attachment 34324
Cracking team that was.77/78 season was the best just missed out on qualifying for Europe

Tile Hill Phil

That’s a tough choice Terry Yorath would probably get sent off every week in today’s modern game 😂 . Probably have to go for Ian Wallace he knew where the back of the net was

Calista

A bit before my time but I always wondered how good Gillespie was for us. I remember him at Liverpool and he looked great albeit injured a fair bit.
Gillespie was truly a class player, and if anything he perhaps stood out more for us that he did with Liverpool. An elegant ball-playing centre back who could bring it out of defence with ease, but his basic defensive work (heading, tackling) was also superb.

He'd certainly be in my all-time favourite City team.

rob9872

I used to have that photo on a jigsaw in a tin. It was reversible too but I can't remember what was on the back.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

How do you choose ? To improve the team now I'd go for Jim Blyth but would also find a way of squeezing in Hutch and Ian Wallace !!!! Hutch my favourite ever Sky Blue but I'm not convinced by either of our keepers and it's such an important position. What about you ?
I'd take Ian Wallace.

I absolutely loved the 77/78 team. My favourite ever season and team. Really shame we didn't qualify for Europe, mainly down to a tailing off of results away from home towards end of season.
We thrashed so many teams at home.

Happy_Martian

Has to be Wallace and/or Hutch. Both bankers in their chosen positions.

But everyone else played their parts as well.

shmmeee

Do those of you old enough to have seen them think the outfield players would adapt as well/not as well as a keeper to the modern game?

shmmeee

Gillespie best suited for me and Hutch would have had much more protection than he did back then ! Probably Oakey as well - terrible shame that his career was cut short by injury

Was thinking Glazier probably never had to use his feet, but would probably stand out in every other area like handling and fitness isn’t as much of an issue plus he’d probably get more protection. Whereas would Hutch be like Palmer in that he’s clearly got talent but maybe couldn’t last a full game? As I say I never saw the players so could be well off.

Irish Sky Blue

Gillespie was truly a class player, and if anything he perhaps stood out more for us that he did with Liverpool. An elegant ball-playing centre back who could bring it out of defence with ease, but his basic defensive work (heading, tackling) was also superb.

Gillespie scored a goal for us against Arsenal where he broke free of their defence on the half way line, carried the ball into their box, rounded the keeper( Seaman?, Phil Parkes?) and slotted the ball into the net. A very skilful, ball playing centre half.
For all of that, if you could only pick one player, it would have to be Hutch.

Hutch11

Do those of you old enough to have seen them think the outfield players would adapt as well/not as well as a keeper to the modern game?
They'd adapt no problem, they had the basics to be good footballers , with today's training methods , boots, pitches, balls and everything else they'd be just as phenomenal imho

Irish Sky Blue

Was thinking Glazier probably never had to use his feet, but would probably stand out in every other area like handling and fitness isn’t as much of an issue plus he’d probably get more protection. Whereas would Hutch be like Palmer in that he’s clearly got talent but maybe couldn’t last a full game? As I say I never saw the players so could be well off.
Tommy was a naturally fit bloke, very rarely injured. He fact that he was still playing professionally at the age of 46 is testament to that.

Hertsccfc

Agree with that assessment except I am not sure he would be in my all time 11. I would have Trevor Peake and Phil Babb ahead of him.

Terry_dactyl

This matches the vague memory I have of him for Liverpool…and that was in a defence with Hanson, Lawrenson, Nicol et al.
Did he not score for us against Liverpool? I mean I could easily google this.

Users who are viewing this thread