Millwall (2 Viewers)

clint van damme

The ground is in Handsworth which is in Birmingham. Fair enough if the surrounding areas are classed as Black Country.

It's not in Handsworth.
Handsworth lies between Aston and West Brom.
Depending on which Part of Handsworth you're in depends which ground is nearest.

I'm quite familiar with the area as I had the misfortune of working on that neck of the woods for about 8 years. The best advise is unless City are playing avoid that whole area like the plague

COV

The bottom tier is rarely used and my Millwall pal tells me it’s unlikely we would get much more than the initial 2k.

Some of the comments on here are wide of the mark. 1500 is a good following here and it’s more likely to be 1800ish.

No chance will we be getting the lower tier, it’s hardly ever used. And when it is there is usually loads of trouble.

Not to split hairs but West Brom is in Birmingham and about 4 miles from the Villa ground, the narrative of it being in the Black Country is from SkySports.
Sorry Earlsdon LB, you're wrong on that one. (apologies if it was a paraody 'wind-up' post)
I worked in West Brom for many years - they get as annoyed as we would, if anyone calls them Brummies. It is only four miles from V*** Park, but there's an important border within that four miles. That's why their main rivals are the Old Gold 'Dingles'.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

It's not in Handsworth.
Handsworth lies between Aston and West Brom.
Depending on which Part of Handsworth you're in depends which ground is nearest.

I'm quite familiar with the area as I had the misfortune of working on that neck of the woods for about 8 years. The best advise is unless City are playing avoid that whole area like the plague

I’ll cancel my week’s all inclusive trip on that advice! Yonks ago I went to the Living Black Country Museum and really enjoyed that. I think they ended filming up parts of Peaky Blinders there too.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Sorry Earlsdon LB, you're wrong on that one. (apologies if it was a paraody 'wind-up' post)
I worked in West Brom for many years - they get as annoyed as we would, if anyone calls them Brummies. It is only four miles from V*** Park, but there's an important border within that four miles. That's why their main rivals are the Old Gold 'Dingles'.

No wind up or parody intended. I thought WBA vs Wolves was something that developed after Villa’s focus moved on to Birmingham and always seen that area as part of Brum. I am happy to stand corrected!

CV22SBA

The bottom tier is rarely used and my Millwall pal tells me it’s unlikely we would get much more than the initial 2k.

Some of the comments on here are wide of the mark. 1500 is a good following here and it’s more likely to be 1800ish.
The initial allocation is 1973 but the top tier actually holds 2300 as they have two smaller blocks each end for a bit of segregation between each home stand. They will open them before the bottom tier and we might sell the initial allocation but no chance of 2,300.

Edit: Sorry LondonCCFC i just noticed you put the same thing :)

pusbccfc

No chance will we be getting the lower tier, it’s hardly ever used. And when it is there is usually loads of trouble.

Fulham had the bottom tier a few weeks back. Didn't sell it out though.

Sky Blue Harry H

Has Millwall's forum been taken down. North Stand Banter? Tried to get on there a few times this week, to offer a few of them out, but nothing seems to be there (unless they are running scared?)

Solo

It’s a chant about gassing Jews. Or they have got one about that at least. Can’t say it’s exactly what you heard.

Sorry. I have to take extreme issue with this. As a 4th generation Millwall fan with a Jewish partner, whom I have a family with, this is an out and out lie. I am not saying that you are deliberately lying, but at the very least you have mistaken something for something else. If I ever heard anything like what you suggest I would happily never return to The Den again. But, I never have.

The only thing I can possibly think of that you may be referring to is when the crowd do a ‘shushing‘ sound. This happens when both the home and away fans are being noticeably quiet and usually coincides with the game being in a bit of a lull. Some Millwall fans will then notice this and make the ‘shuuuusssh’ sound and others will quickly join in. It’s an excellent precursor (imo) to the crowd then letting out a big ‘Miiiiiillllllllllllll’ chant - which somebody mentions earlier in this thread.

Conversely, another reason I think that there has been a definite mistake by you, is because Millwall are the original and only East End football club. Founded in 1885 on the Isle of Dogs and taking their name from the Millwall Dock area.

The club was the leading light of football in London in the Victorian era - pioneers of professional football in the south with the establishment of the Southern League, which the club dominated, as well as admired cup fighters, whose victories over Everton, Preston, Derby and especially the mighty Aston Villa team of the period, on runs to two FA Cup Semi-Finals (1900 & 1903) earned the club the nickname ‘Lions of the South’, which stuck and replaced the original ‘Dockers’ nickname.

What has the got to do with anything you may ask… well, as most people know, the East End was home to a large Jewish community. Many of these followed Millwall, even when the club made the short hop over the River Thames, thousands still streamed through the foot tunnel connecting SE London and the Isle of Dogs to follow their beloved ‘Lions’. It was only later on that the success of Tottenham Hotspur diminished Millwall’s stature as the number one club for London’s Jewish community to follow.

However, as you know, being a follower of a less fashionable club yourself, most of a club’s support (outside the big brand clubs) is passed down through the generations. Therefore, it is true to say that there are many Jewish families following the club to this day & I am certain, just like myself, they would not remain quiet or even dedicated fans of the club, if what you have so causually stated is/was true. That I am 100% certain of.

Certainly, the media would have highlighted it before too, and added it to our many other misdeeds. Indeed, as I have seen them crucify us for a frustrated fan throwing a meat pie near the lineman - ‘Missiles Rain Down’… phone ins on Talksport about throwing the club out the FL etc etc.

Millwall FC does have its problems, I cannot deny that, but I feel people should be careful with what that say & hopefully I have given a reasoned and calm defence of why I think you are incorrect.

Gynnsthetonic

Sorry. I have to take extreme issue with this. As a 4th generation Millwall fan with a Jewish partner, whom I have a family with, this is an out and out lie. I am not saying that you are deliberately lying, but at the very least you have mistaken something for something else. If I ever heard anything like what you suggest I would happily never return to The Den again. But, I never have.

The only thing I can possibly think of that you may be referring to is when the crowd do a ‘shushing‘ sound. This happens when both the home and away fans are being noticeably quiet and usually coincides with the game being in a bit of a lull. Some Millwall fans will then notice this and make the ‘shuuuusssh’ sound and others will quickly join in. It’s an excellent precursor (imo) to the crowd then letting out a big ‘Miiiiiillllllllllllll’ chant - which somebody mentions earlier in this thread.

Conversely, another reason I think that there has been a definite mistake by you, is because Millwall are the original and only East End football club. Founded in 1885 on the Isle of Dogs and taking their name from the Millwall Dock area.

The club was the leading light of football in London in the Victorian era - pioneers of professional football in the south with the establishment of the Southern League, which the club dominated, as well as admired cup fighters, whose victories over Everton, Preston, Derby and especially the mighty Aston Villa team of the period, on runs to two FA Cup Semi-Finals (1900 & 1903) earned the club the nickname ‘Lions of the South’, which stuck and replaced the original ‘Dockers’ nickname.

What has the got to do with anything you may ask… well, as most people know, the East End was home to a large Jewish community. Many of these followed Millwall, even when the club made the short hop over the River Thames, thousands still streamed through the foot tunnel connecting SE London and the Isle of Dogs to follow their beloved ‘Lions’. It was only later on that the success of Tottenham Hotspur diminished Millwall’s stature as the number one club for London’s Jewish community to follow.

However, as you know, being a follower of a less fashionable club yourself, most of a club’s support (outside the big brand clubs) is passed down through the generations. Therefore, it is true to say that there are many Jewish families following the club to this day & I am certain, just like myself, they would not remain quiet or even dedicated fans of the club, if what you have so causually stated is/was true. That I am 100% certain of.

Certainly, the media would have highlighted it before too, and added it to our many other misdeeds. Indeed, as I have seen them crucify us for a frustrated fan throwing a meat pie near the lineman - ‘Missiles Rain Down’… phone ins on Talksport about throwing the club out the FL etc etc.

Millwall FC does have its problems, I cannot deny that, but I feel people should be careful with what that say & hopefully I have given a reasoned and calm defence of why I think you are incorrect.
Great reply and a bit of history on your club thank you kind sir, I think our support has similarities in that we are not the biggest supported but the fans are out there and will turn out on the big occasion, and both make a great noise!

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I don’t know what your debate with Hill is about or the chant in question so I can’t elaborate but as a general rule of thumb I think sometimes fans read into things too much.

Mane and Salah were booed at Elland Road from the start on Sunday and some Liverpool fans took that as meaning they were being targeted for being non-white, when in fact it was just simply to put them off or unsettle them because they’re two stand out, quality players.

On another note, have we sold out for the game tomorrow?

hill83

Happy to be corrected. I was going off what I’d been told. There have been a few reports of it in the media over the years as well.

D

Deleted member 2477

Im afraid some just like to jump on the racist millwall misconception as it suits the agenda. Yes Millwall have a bad rep for violance and rightly so but the whole media biased against the club and most recently them not taking knee gesture is used to provoke a reaction that suits their agenda

SlowerThanPlatt

I don’t know what your debate with Hill is about or the chant in question so I can’t elaborate but as a general rule of thumb I think sometimes fans read into things too much.

Mane and Salah were booed at Elland Road from the start on Sunday and some Liverpool fans took that as meaning they were being targeted for being non-white, when in fact it was just simply to put them off or unsettle them because they’re two stand out, quality players.

On another note, have we sold out for the game tomorrow?

Still some left on the website off sale at 12

D

Deleted member 2477

Shame the millwall forum apears to be down. Love to read the predictions from the other fans and their view of us

SlowerThanPlatt

Im afraid some just like to jump on the racist millwall misconception as it suits the agenda. Yes Millwall have a bad rep for violance and rightly so but the whole media biased against the club and most recently them not taking knee gesture is used to provoke a reaction that suits their agenda

Erm

AndreasB

Hi Solo, thank you for your well written and reasoned summary of your club and it’s history. However there is a long-standing problem with your club and Racism, the Far Right and Violence. I do wonder how seriously the club want to tackle this issue.
There does seem to be a tacit acceptance of having the “no one likes us” status which means the extreme elements are glossed over.

When our players take the knee on Saturday , inevitably there will be a massive round of booing from your supporters. You know there will. The club could have used this as an opportunity to change attitudes but seem to be too comfortable with this behaviour. Our fans actually clap when both teams take the knee now (I’m not at all complacent about our club though and know it’s an ongoing battle)

I do think you make a great point about a club having a bad name and therefore things that happen everywhere are amplified because it is Millwall. Unfortunately the only answer is to work twice as hard to convince people otherwise and I’m not sure that is happening.

better days

There was a song to the tune of 'singing the blues' that some opposing fans used to sing when playing Spurs
Don't know if Millwall were one of the culprits but other clubs certainly used to sing it
Haven't heard it in many years though

Users who are viewing this thread