Millwall Match Thread 29th December. (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

We're just not playing at all well at the moment and haven't been for a good while. We're so toothless in the final third I just don't get excited seeing us go forward.

This season is fast becoming a tedious limp to the finish with no chance of challenging and no danger of going down.

I'd say in general we've been wasteful in the final third rather than toothless but last night we really were toothless against a poor Millwall side which is worrying.

Grendel

I'd say in general we've been wasteful in the final third rather than toothless but last night we really were toothless against a poor Millwall side which is worrying.

17 of 29 goals have been scored by two players. The whole of the midfield have 3 between them.

Grendel

He's been as usual the only player in the team who looks capable of producing anything

I wonder if cc84 is actually brummie Nick on the phone I’m as they seem similar in their levels of football knowledge and indeed agree on a lot of things

Liquid Gold

I think we have been wasteful but we're steadily progressing to toothless. We're on a worrying trajectory.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think we have been wasteful but we're steadily progressing to toothless. We're on a worrying trajectory.

Birmingham and Huddersfield it was carving them open and wasting chances. Last night positions were wasted and no real chances were made.

The squad needs help, it’s pretty clear. I’ll ask a slightly differently phrased ownership question at the end of this season-somehow I doubt we’ll get less than half wanting them gone

Liquid Gold

Birmingham and Huddersfield it was carving them open and wasting chances. Last night positions were wasted and no real chances were made.

The squad needs help, it’s pretty clear. I’ll ask a slightly differently phrased ownership question at the end of this season-somehow I doubt we’ll get less than half wanting them gone
Although we clearly need better owners at this level I don't think it's entirely up to them.

Joy didn't force us to go into a season with three right backs, one left back and Bright as back up to O'Hare.

Brighton Sky Blue

Although we clearly need better owners at this level I don't think it's entirely up to them.

Joy didn't force us to go into a season with three right backs, one left back and Bright as back up to O'Hare.

The squad had too many places that needed improvement to be sorted in one window. Signing Bright was stupid and I said as much at the time.

Still if we had an expenditure comparable to clubs with similar crowds we wouldn’t be scraping the barrel for shit like him in the first place.

Brighton Sky Blue

Other than the strikers and Fadz, I don´t really feel confident that anyone else in the team can score a goal. The midfield do not chip in anywhere near enough.

When Hamer wasn’t terrified of shooting he was a real threat. Unfortunately he’s clearly been told to rein it in unless there’s something else going on

clint van damme

budgetary constraints could well have dictated why Robins took a punt on Bright though, one that predictably went badly wrong.

Johnnythespider

Walker wasn't amazing, but the lazy labels were back out again tonight which is harsh.
He's clearly trying to work harder and looked battered at the end. Lacking sharpness and offered (slightly) more than Godden, but don't think he'll ever win some over
Bloke sitting in front of me threw his arms in the air every time the ball went near him, then when he went down injured shouted at him to get up.

Grendel

budgetary constraints could well have dictated why Robins took a punt on Bright though, one that predictably went badly wrong.

That really was back to the days of signing Stephen Hunt and pretending he was the same player who played for reading years before​

clint van damme

17 of 29 goals have been scored by two players. The whole of the midfield have 3 between them.

but we've been creating chances, last night was just abject, maybe the amount we're missing is playing on players minds. It obviously needs addressing before we play again.

Sky Blue Harry H

Other than the strikers and Fadz, I don´t really feel confident that anyone else in the team can score a goal. The midfield do not chip in anywhere near enough.

Agree - you can't see Sheaf and Kelly ever scoring more than 3 between them and that's if they played every game (although Kelly has hit a few screamers last season). Hamer will score goals, but hasn't really got going this season. Think some of last night's problems stemmed from Walker/Godden not really looking like a partnership so far, plus the Sheaf/Kelly combination not being creative enough,

Brighton Sky Blue

Agree - you can't see Sheaf and Kelly ever scoring more than 3 between them and that's if they played every game (although Kelly has hit a few screamers last season). Hamer will score goals, but hasn't really got going this season. Think some of last night's problems stemmed from Walker/Godden not really looking like a partnership so far, plus the Sheaf/Kelly combination not being creative enough,

Let’s be honest it’s Kelly that’s just not up to the required standard.

shmmeee

For me it’s got to be Allen who comes in for Hamer. Big drop in quality but that’s true across the team.

fernandopartridge

That goal was comical as many of the ones we concede tend to be. I did like seeing the CBs carry the ball forward, they gained 10-20 yards a fair number of times.

What has concerned me most though is the tempo has just disappeared. Slow build up is fine but it gives the opposition time to organise and sit in front of you when you need real quality to unpick them. Get the ball moving more quickly and we can cause problems with numbers instead.
The tempo disappears with Kelly in the side, he's in decline as a player as what he lacked in quality he made up for in his engine, not sure if his previous COVID infection has affected him but he's way off the pace.

Speedies_Chips

Bloke sitting in front of me threw his arms in the air every time the ball went near him, then when he went down injured shouted at him to get up.
Were you in Block 22 by any chance? Bloke behind me criticised Walker all game. Godden flicked a ball on which went nowhere near Walker. Said bloke accused Walker of not standing in the right place! On another occasion he accused him of not running fast enough!

Frostie

Were you in Block 22 by any chance? Bloke behind me criticised Walker all game. Godden flicked a ball on which went nowhere near Walker. Said bloke accused Walker of not standing in the right place! On another occasion he accused him of not running fast enough!

Sounds like the guy behind me in 19 too, sadly it seems there's a few of them. Was nice to hear another chap call him out for "talking bollocks" though.

Reactions: AOM

Adge

We're just not playing at all well at the moment and haven't been for a good while. We're so toothless in the final third I just don't get excited seeing us go forward.

This season is fast becoming a tedious limp to the finish with no chance of challenging and no danger of going down.
Which you and 99% of others would have accepted before a ball was kicked this season.

AOM

Similar near me too. I bloody love him but Godden seems to be exempt from any criticism when he makes similar errors, but people seem to wait for Walker to mess up.
Needs some more game time with Gyokeres/Waghorn to get some sharpness

Johnnythespider

Block 17, seems he's the whipping boy these days, I thought he did ok considering he was having to wrestle with his marker all night.

Last edited:

Grendel

No, but you would have accepted it before the season began?

I wouldn’t accept finishing well below teams like blackburn and Huddersfield no

Users who are viewing this thread