Mike Ashley buying another stadium? (1 Viewer)

Skybluedownunder

Mike Ashley is in detailed negotiations with Yorkshire about buying Headingley Stadium in a £22m-plus deal.

Maybe he really isn’t actually interested in buying us and is now just buying up stadiums… bit odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

Yorkshire are crickets version of Wasps, they’re £15m in debt to their former chairman (who overseen the racism scandal)

Last edited:

slowpoke

Interesting, I don’t think Yorkshire are the only county up to their ears, selling grounds possibly a way forward for some.

Captain_Slackbladder

Sounds a very Mike Ashley thing to do

You can't put hotels on stadiums, it's just the more of them you own then the more ridiculous rent charge you can inflict on anyone who goes/stays there. From time to time clubs will get a directive to "take a trip" to stadiums such a Sixfields and St Andrews usually meaning a walk-out by some during the game over the legitimacy of such a move.

Covkid1968#

Yorkshire are crickets version of Wasps, they’re £15m in debt to their former chairman (who overseen the racism scandal)
They are on a bit of a sticky wicket and he’s Looking to bail them out then?

Kingokings204

I remember on talksport a month or so back saying that he is a massive cricket fan maybe even more so than football. And even went on to say don’t be surprised to see his involvement in cricket soon. This could be it then.

Grendel

Same CEO as Wasps as well of course

Skybluedownunder

You can't put hotels on stadiums, it's just the more of them you own then the more ridiculous rent charge you can inflict on anyone who goes/stays there. From time to time clubs will get a directive to "take a trip" to stadiums such a Sixfields and St Andrews usually meaning a walk-out by some during the game over the legitimacy of such a move.

We were on about Monopoly

Hobo

He has made it known for sometime he was looking to get involved in a cricket club.

Gibbo

Read my lips. He...was...never...interested...in...buying...us. Why on earth would he? He's been there, done that, got the T shirt and the scars. The ground is an asset he can exploit, a club is a money pit. He quite likes money.

Hobo

Read my lips. He...was...never...interested...in...buying...us. Why on earth would he? He's been there, done that, got the T shirt and the scars. The ground is an asset he can exploit, a club is a money pit. He quite likes money.
Absolutely. A few of our fans still don't understand he didn't put any of his own money into Newcastle.

pusbccfc

Mike Ashley will buy anything that's distressed.

Gibbo

Mike Ashley will buy anything that's distressed.
...if it has the potential to make money. Some things are distressed for a reason, so not 'anything'.

There must be unfulfilled revenue opportunities that can be released relatively easily. Nobody ever said that about a football club.

I suspect he quite fancies the idea of 'The Fraser Arena Coventry' as being a marketing tool that actually makes money rather than just being a cost, but it is not uppermost in his thinking. But who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread