Match Thread Middlesbrough (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Think that would be my selection, too. Getting Giles away down the left is our main source of attack (the only real outlet against Blackburn) and with hopefully all eleven on the pitch we can use that to decent effect. Don't care if it's an ugly win, but we could do with a bit of help from the footballing gods.

We could help ourselves by not gifting stupid goals away every week. Clean sheet would be very welcome indeed

cc84cov

Midweek away at Middlesborough - not the easiest game at anytime especially after Saturdays shocker.

Lets hope we at least get a performance even if we don't manage a result. We have got to learn to scrap now, no nonsense defending and keep it simple. If it means some big hoofs up the park so be it. Godden, Allen and O'Hare have to learn how to buy cheap free kicks to take the pressure off.
Need to be able to win the ball from the “big hoofs” first Godden will win his fair share can’t see the other 2 winning many long balls

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As we can't decide whether to have two ACM's or two forwards can they flit between the two? ie sometimes having Godden come a bit deeper to challenge for the ball while Walker plays off the last man trying to get in behind?

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree,

If we go with Godden & Walker up front with Hamer,Kelly & sheaf the issue then is where does O’Hare fit.Walker has scored 36 goals in past 2 seasons ok in lower league but with service he knows where the goal is.

I had in mind a diamond with O’Hare at the top, Kelly at the bottom and Sheaf/Hamer in the centre. You’d then need to give up one of the centre backs though and I’m not convinced that’s wise

Hobo

Need to be able to win the ball from the “big hoofs” first Godden will win his fair share can’t see the other 2 winning many long balls

I am saying no nonsense clearances. Also we are not winning the ball from playing it out from the back.
If teams high press there is space behind. We need to mix it up and not be so predictable. If we do play out passing needs to be smarter. Slow passes are easy to close down.

But on Tuesday I am happy just to see us clear our lines and pushout to try and gain a bit of territory - so we can try and press them.

Only one way to deal with a performance like Saturdays - keep it simple and go back to basics.

Alex1987

I have sky sports added onto my talktalk subscription. Can I use the red button feature to watch this? Didnt work last season tho wasn't bothered given our league!

rhino1002

If you look at how o'hare has performed this season you get the feeling he comes into the game more later on
Last season he was great in the impact sub role
I feel he should go back to that for now until we get some impetus
He is very ineffective in the early stages of a game

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I think we should try something else
Dabo - Osti - Hyam - Pask - Giles
Hamer - Kelly
Ohare
Biamou - Godden

My reasons for Pask is the pace and he has not had the needed chance of playing in his prefered position.
Giles over McCallum because he has not deserved to be Dropped yet.
Hamer and Kelly because they will be a wicked partnership.
Godden and Biamou because Max can win the balls in the air and flick on to Godden.
Possibly Walker and Godden when Wlker is back.
I feel Ohare would look better as a Solo AM because he will be able to roam both sides and they cannot really double up on him as Max and Godden need to be watched and you have Giles and Dabo advancing so thats 5 and you have Hamer advancing as well so we could benefit in many ways in having 2 up top.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I like Esoterica's 4-3-3 idea

If you think about who our strongest players are, you would probably include:

Kelly, Hamer, Sheaf, Godden, O'Hare, Walker.

The only way you play them all is to do a 4-3-3 type thing.

I know we have had players out for various reasons but on showing our current formation isn't really working.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

This is what we could try Dacosta as a CB and RWB back up, then Shipley as an AM back up, Biamou as a back up Striker, Sheaf as back up DM, McCallum is another option to start at LWB, Fadz or Rose another Back up CB, Bilson as no.2 GK

Brighton Sky Blue

If you think about who our strongest players are, you would probably include:

Kelly, Hamer, Sheaf, Godden, O'Hare, Walker.

The only way you play them all is to do a 4-3-3 type thing.

I know we have had players out for various reasons but on showing our current formation isn't really working.

To be fair a diamond does also work with them and is a wee bit more flexible

mark_ccfc

Wouldn't like to predict any of our results at the moment we are playing too unpredictably. Problem is we have had players sent off twice, multiple injuries, players in and out of the team, we haven't had chance to settle and certainly haven't had our strongest side out yet.
Hoping we can get a good run with Kelly, Dabo, McCallum, Walker all in the side with Shipley in his normal role.
*edit*
Meant to say disappointed with/for Rose who seems to have lost confidence this season. To me it seems that coming back from injury is made a lot harder by the step up to the championship. Having said all that it is early days yet, and we have show in some games at least that we can compete at this level.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

If you look at how o'hare has performed this season you get the feeling he comes into the game more later on
Last season he was great in the impact sub role
I feel he should go back to that for now until we get some impetus
He is very ineffective in the early stages of a game

He has scored 1 goal for us in 31 starts.

4 goals in 17 from the bench

Esoterica

Would our wing backs adapt to full back?
In an old school 4-3-3 the width came from the 2 wide forwards who effectively played as wingers but int he modern 4-3-3 the width comes from the fullbacks. In fact they're not really fullbacks in a 4-3-3 and in possession of the ball should actually be higher than the 3 central midfielders, at least higher than Kelly if he's the base of the 3.
The 2 wider forwards aren't wingers either, they are attacking the channels between the centre backs and the full backs and that pulls the oppositions fullbacks narrow which creates the space out wide for Dabo and McCallum/Giles to attack. Essentially wingbacks in a 4-3-3.

The question mark for me in that formation is which 2 CBs and how we manage with their slowness.

Last edited:

stay_up_skyblues

Team for Tuesday, in true football manager style;

GK - Marosi (Sweeper Keeper - Support)

LB - McCallum (Complete Full Back -Support)
CB - Hyam (Ball Playing Defender - Defend)
CB - McFaz (No Nonsense Centre Back - Defend)
RB - Pask (Full Back - Defend)

DCM - Kelly (Anchorman - Defend)

CM - Hamer (Box to Box Midfield - Support)
CM - Sheaf (Deep Lying Playmaker - Support)

LW - Shipley (Inside Forward - Support)
ST - Godden (Advanced Forward - Attack)
RW - COH (Inside Forward - Attack)

Fluid counter attack strategy with a cautious style.

Football is easy really.

Brighton Sky Blue

In an old school 4-3-3 the width came from the 2 wide forwards who effectively played as wingers but int he modern 4-3-3 the width comes from the fullbacks. In fact they're not really fullbacks in a 4-3-3 and in possession of the ball should actually be higher than the 3 central midfielders, at least higher than Kelly if he's the base of the 3.
The 2 wider forwards aren't wingers either, they are attacking the channels between the centre backs and the full backs and that pulls the oppositions fullbacks narrow which creates the space out wide for Dabo and McCallum/Giles to attack. Essentially wingbacks in a 4-3-3.

The question mark for me in that formation is which 2 CBs and how we manage with their slowness.

Despite having a shocker yesterday I would persist with McF for his experience, then it’s much of a muchness. You’d need to try different pairings and stick when you bag a clean sheet

stay_up_skyblues

Seriously can’t get why people keep naming Pask in these teams, he’s awful, just jogs to the ball when defending like he can’t be bothered

I have personally put him in at RB as I don’t think Giles will make for a good LB and so McCallum has to play LB in a back 4.

I wouldn’t have Pask anywhere near the RWB role. We will play wing backs Tuesday I’m sure and MR will correctly play Giles on the left and McCallum on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread