Middle East consortium reveals plans for £1.5bn takeover of Arsenal (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

Incredible. Talk of: -

• Unnamed group would make substantial investment in team
• Arsenal debts would be wiped out and ticket prices reduced

And yet less than half of that they could likely get some almost instant success in a smaller fan base but much lower risk (i.e. other than the odd season Man U get a good share of the spoils regardless of other's investment in their teams, whilst us getting back into the Prem would double gates & income...then there is the redevelopment of land surrounding etc)
Why are we not a target for these kind of investors???

Because we're not in London

skybluedan

Really what is the point,who gives a fuck about arsenal? Because I fuckin don't

ashbyjan

So I want to have a world class sports car company - do I buy Ferrari for a few billion and have it from day one or buy ailing Noble Sportscars for a few million and build it up over the next ten years pumping in more and more millions hoping to challenge Ferrari one day?

lordsummerisle

Incredible. Talk of: -

• Unnamed group would make substantial investment in team
• Arsenal debts would be wiped out and ticket prices reduced

And yet less than half of that they could likely get some almost instant success in a smaller fan base but much lower risk (i.e. other than the odd season Man U get a good share of the spoils regardless of other's investment in their teams, whilst us getting back into the Prem would double gates & income...then there is the redevelopment of land surrounding etc)
Why are we not a target for these kind of investors???

If I was middle-eastern investor with billions to spare then I'd defintely invest in a League One side that doesn't own it;s own ground based in a declining Midlands city rather than one of the top clubs in Europe, based in one of the top cities in the World.

Would be mad not to.

He's probably reading this and will go and buy fucking Walsall now!

coundonskyblue

If I was middle-eastern investor with billions to spare then I'd defintely invest in a League One side that doesn't own it;s own ground based in a declining Midlands city rather than one of the top clubs in Europe, based in one of the top cities in the World.

Would be mad not to.

He's probably reading this and will go and buy fucking Walsall now!

Looking at it that way its difficult to see how Leicester got its investors.

SkyblueBazza

Talk of sports cars & Walsall is all very well. Walsall do not have the fan base potential. I am actually talking they buy the club & stadium & f&b...progress the club rapidly into the prem. relatively cheaply...25k+ crowds., large fan base = return on investment!

skyblue025

Complete load of crap Usmanov is about 1% short of the 30% he needs to make an offer on the rest of the club. He isnt going to let someone else come in and gazump him. 1.5 bn is small change to him. Im sure Silent Stan is rubbing his hands together at the thought.

Skybluestu82

Talk of sports cars & Walsall is all very well. Walsall do not have the fan base potential. I am actually talking they buy the club & stadium & f&b...progress the club rapidly into the prem. relatively cheaply...25k+ crowds., large fan base = return on investment!

I think the whole concept of any rich billionaire buying any sort of football club has escaped most, they don't give a monkeys about the money.

Football is not about making money for these people, it is a play thing for them and more than likely an ego boost.

All the talk of why choose this club and that club and what's wrong with buying us etc is pointless. If someone goes and buys Chelsea's, man city's or Arsenal's they are more than likely doing it for the Kudos to their palls or to look like a 'big dick' on the word stage.

The romance of 'billionaire takes league 1 club to champions league' is more than likely lost on them and far too much time and effort involved.

Last edited:

Ashdown1

Truth is someone could have Coventry City as THEIR plaything, stadium and all for no more than £50 million.

Skybluestu82

Truth is someone could have Coventry City as THEIR plaything, stadium and all for no more than £50 million.

Or you just buy a Chelsea for 100 million more and they are already an established outfit.

I really don't think it's about the cash, 50 mill or 150 mill (us vs Chelsea). If you had billions, which would you choose?

It's about building dynasties and show the world that you can, even buying Ccfc you'd need years to get the the standard/size of a Chelsea and to be on par with Man U's, real madrid's and barca's you'd need to build a whole new ground or improve on ours, oh yeah, and find the fans to pack it at £60 per head.

Skybluestu82

Don't get me wrong, if I had billions I'd be on it but that's coz I'm a city fan. Think that would be our only hope, anyone know and city billionaires?

WillieStanley

We do have a lot more to offer than we give ourselves credit for. Look at, say, Wigan. OK they're not having the best season this year but since they're promotion, they've established themselves as a Premier League club and had a good stint up there. Impressive for a team who averaged around 5k attendances 10 years ago. Still though, they play Liverpool and fail to get little over 20k in the stadium.

A prime example of a club run in the correct way, it brings results.

If a magic wand was waved and cleared all of our debts and problems... even a relatively wealthy owner who ran us correctly would see the the financial gains to be made from a City the size of ours. Off the back of our two promotions, and probably a few cup runs, we would have the biggest crowds seen since the Sky Blue era. We have at least 4 generations of fans desperate for success. If that came, season tickets and merch would sky rocket.

The trouble is, I can't see a way out of this at all and I'm convinced that ACL wouldn't even sell the stadium to Abramovic if his name was above the CCFC door.

Mr T - Sukka!

No one with half an ounce of common business sense would buy CCFC. So its not going to happen.

Take off your sky blue glasses. Its a massive risk one thats not worth bothering with.

Take a look at the last guy before SISU came in, he looked at the books and said as much. See for yourself: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+Billionaire+pulls+out+of+interest+in+Sky+Blues.-a0172321023

Greek billionaire Alki David has withdrawn his interest in buying Coventry City after he claimed the Coca-Cola Championship club was "falling apart."

The 39-year-old businessman and movie
mogul Mogul: see Mughal. , who has a reported fortune of pounds 4 billion, emerged as an 11th-hour challenger to Ray Ranson's bid to buy the cash-strapped Sky Blues, who are around pounds 38 million in debt.

But after studying Coventry's finances David opted to withdraw his interest, paving the way for former Birmingham City full-back Ranson's Sisu consortium to takeover at the
Ricoh Arena Inaugural events
The arena became the venue for Coventry City's home games at the start of the 2005-06 season, following 106 years at the Highfield Road stadium. The first competitive football match played at the Ricoh Arena was against Queens Park Rangers on 20 August 2005, in .

David said: "After looking through the finances and seeing the numbers, the club is falling apart. The debt does not tally. Good luck to whoever takes them on. I am certainly not getting involved.

"I had (Coventry director)
Geoffrey Robinson Geoffrey Robinson (born May 25, 1938 in Sheffield) has been a British Member of Parliament for Coventry North West, a safe Labour seat, since a by-election on 4 March 1976 caused by the death of former MP Maurice Edelman. here this afternoon when I was ready to commit. He left me a document on the finances of the club. After looking through the finances and seeing the numbers, it is no surprise that the club is falling apart. It is difficult to see how the expenditure was made the way it was, especially over the last three years."

Despite his scathing assessment of the club, David wished Coventry well for the future and hoped that Ranson's Sisu group were able to complete a deal. If Sisu are to take over, they must strike a deal before tomorrow, when Coventry must prove their
solvency The ability of an individual to pay his or her debts as they mature in the normal and ordinary course of business, or the financial condition of owning property of sufficient value to discharge all of one's debts.

solvency n.
or enter administration and incur a ten-point deduction.

"I genuinely hope the other group can push a deal through because it is a club with a huge amount of potential," said David. "But there seems to be a lot of people involved who are emotionally attached and that is not good for business."

David revealed that another reason he withdrew his interest was because he had invested in a rugby club this week. He added: "That is a sport I understand and an announcement about who that club is will be made in the next couple of days."

hutch1972

No one with half an ounce of common business sense would buy CCFC. So its not going to happen.

Take off your sky blue glasses. Its a massive risk one thats not worth bothering with.

Take a look at the last guy before SISU came in, he looked at the books and said as much. See for yourself: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+Billionaire+pulls+out+of+interest+in+Sky+Blues.-a0172321023

Greek billionaire Alki David has withdrawn his interest in buying Coventry City after he claimed the Coca-Cola Championship club was "falling apart."

The 39-year-old businessman and movie
mogul Mogul: see Mughal. , who has a reported fortune of pounds 4 billion, emerged as an 11th-hour challenger to Ray Ranson's bid to buy the cash-strapped Sky Blues, who are around pounds 38 million in debt.

But after studying Coventry's finances David opted to withdraw his interest, paving the way for former Birmingham City full-back Ranson's Sisu consortium to takeover at the
Ricoh Arena Inaugural events
The arena became the venue for Coventry City's home games at the start of the 2005-06 season, following 106 years at the Highfield Road stadium. The first competitive football match played at the Ricoh Arena was against Queens Park Rangers on 20 August 2005, in .

David said: "After looking through the finances and seeing the numbers, the club is falling apart. The debt does not tally. Good luck to whoever takes them on. I am certainly not getting involved.

"I had (Coventry director)
Geoffrey Robinson Geoffrey Robinson (born May 25, 1938 in Sheffield) has been a British Member of Parliament for Coventry North West, a safe Labour seat, since a by-election on 4 March 1976 caused by the death of former MP Maurice Edelman. here this afternoon when I was ready to commit. He left me a document on the finances of the club. After looking through the finances and seeing the numbers, it is no surprise that the club is falling apart. It is difficult to see how the expenditure was made the way it was, especially over the last three years."

Despite his scathing assessment of the club, David wished Coventry well for the future and hoped that Ranson's Sisu group were able to complete a deal. If Sisu are to take over, they must strike a deal before tomorrow, when Coventry must prove their
solvency The ability of an individual to pay his or her debts as they mature in the normal and ordinary course of business, or the financial condition of owning property of sufficient value to discharge all of one's debts.

solvency n.
or enter administration and incur a ten-point deduction.

"I genuinely hope the other group can push a deal through because it is a club with a huge amount of potential," said David. "But there seems to be a lot of people involved who are emotionally attached and that is not good for business."

David revealed that another reason he withdrew his interest was because he had invested in a rugby club this week. He added: "That is a sport I understand and an announcement about who that club is will be made in the next couple of days."

Publicity seeker !. He invested in cambride rfc and it got them no-where. This man used assisted suicides ( all stunts ) to boost viewing figures for his websites ,i am glad he did not get involved.

LewSkyBlue

Surely they can buy arsenal for 1.25Bn and us for 250m :D. If the likes of Notts county, cardiff, QPR can get taken over, why not us :facepalm:

ajsccfc

Is 'why would someone take over Arsenal rather than Coventry City' really the question I'm seeing here? Even on a Cov forum that's a bit mad.

SkyblueBazza

Is 'why would someone take over Arsenal rather than Coventry City' really the question I'm seeing here? Even on a Cov forum that's a bit mad.

The question is about motivation & I guess it has been answered too - show-off/EGO!
Even if Arsenal win the Champions league...short term 15% growth maybe...from a massive investment - is that a successful businessman? CCFC modest investment relatively...potentially massive long term growth.

ajsccfc

But you can form a business model around things that actually exist with Arsenal. For Cov it's little more than 'people might start showing up'

SkyblueBazza

But you can form a business model around things that actually exist with Arsenal. For Cov it's little more than 'people might start showing up'

Not if they have the funds (which obviously they do) to buy the club, stadium & everything that goes with it

ajsccfc

That would still leave a lot of guesswork. Arsenal have an established reputation and fanbase, we've got the notion that people would start showing up if we got better.

SkyblueBazza

That would still leave a lot of guesswork. Arsenal have an established reputation and fanbase, we've got the notion that people would start showing up if we got better.

So we get to the Prem...the anticipation would bring 22500-25000 short term regularly - that's double income on offer right now...then invest more into the team to give a fighting chance for Europe...& cups...gates maintained or grown. Loads more merchandise. 5-10 yrs growth is massive. Then the fun would start as the growth potential vs Arsenal would be no match.

ajsccfc

Except that footballing success is even less guaranteed than these hypothetical missing fans showing up.

Looking at it that way its difficult to see how Leicester got its investors.

The reason we got our investors is apparently due to the fact that our Chairman enjoyed watching Leicester overachieve during the late 90s under Martin O'Neill when we finished in the top ten of the Premier League five times and won two League Cups - as real underdogs. The main aim of our owners is to replicate this and establish us as a Premier League team. We've got massive untapped potential as far as a fanbase goes too - if you go east of the City, there's 50 miles before you hit Peterborough. They see us as a long term project - evident from the fact we've just had our Stadium bought for us. Also, I'm not bragging either, it's a genuine reason.

Mucca Mad Boys

The reason we got our investors is apparently due to the fact that our Chairman enjoyed watching Leicester overachieve during the late 90s under Martin O'Neill when we finished in the top ten of the Premier League five times and won two League Cups - as real underdogs. The main aim of our owners is to replicate this and establish us as a Premier League team. We've got massive untapped potential as far as a fanbase goes too - if you go east of the City, there's 50 miles before you hit Peterborough. They see us as a long term project - evident from the fact we've just had our Stadium bought for us. Also, I'm not bragging either, it's a genuine reason.

Question: how much rent did Leicester Coty have to pay in rent for your ground a year?

Users who are viewing this thread