Micky Adams and the Curse of Expectation (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

So, cast your mind back. We finish seventh after a great run at the end of the season, the following season we sell our talisman and top scorer at an inconvenient time, panic a bit with signing a replacement forward, but although it was a mediocre start it wasn't awful.

But, the expectation of the previous season's finish had us think we should be world beaters, the atmosphere got tense and needless pressure was put on the players - we ended up creating a crisis rather than seeing if it could be ridden out.

Just saying. There are disappointments and all that, but we haven't been that bad really, we're not that far from gelling... if we stick together.

(Although I'll struggle to make the case for Wright just atm admittedly!)

Skyblueweeman

The frustrating thing is, many have known this was going to be a tough season, losing our two best players with a combined 50 goals/assists between them. Add to that, our luck with injuries to key players continues to shaft us.

Although we all knew it was going to be tough, seeing it play out is doing some heads in. I'm still relatively calm - worried a little but calm. We've been in worse positions and ended up ok. MR and his team have earned enough trust in the bank from me, to weather this particularly tough period.

Not so sure what DK will think mind.

And we're still two wins off the play off spots - depending on others losing and us finding a winning formula!

Nick

Administrator
He looked like he had no idea what to do.

Also spent more than we have in years.

NorthernWisdom

The frustrating thing is, many have known this was going to be a tough season, losing our two best players with a combined 50 goals/assists between them. Add to that, our luck with injuries to key players continues to shaft us.

Although we all knew it was going to be tough, seeing it play out is doing some heads in. I'm still relatively calm - worried a little but calm. We've been in worse positions and ended up ok. MR and his team have earned enough trust in the bank from me, to weather this particularly tough period.

And we're still two wins off the play off spots - depending on others losing and us finding a winning formula!
This was always going to be a midtable year if we're honest - carried by two players and overachieving even with that, a bunch of players who need to come in and meet each other.

If last year had been less spectacular, if we'd faded away from the playoffs we'd be a lot more patient this year... and we'd have still got the cash for Gyokeres anyway.

It's also a standing start when we had so few players we actually owned, too - we've started from a League One base with cracks papered over. The Sky commentators had it right in adding Doyle to the people we've missed... but he started last season erratically to say the least, the problem is once he sorted things out we weren't the team to benefit from that long term.

robbiekeane

Yeh I don’t know why everyone’s losing their shit and thinking it’s going to do anything but have a detrimental impact on performances.
Team needs the fans to get behind them not start laying into them.

Don’t need an atmosphere like Sunderland when they got relegated to championship

Jamesimus

We haven't been terrible and could have won a couple of games with a bit more grit.

I'm usually quite optimistic, but at the moment I can't see too many positives regarding the way we play and half of our new signings. We're not creating very much and so far we've been quite dull to watch. The most exciting we've been was on the counter against Leicester where we created a decent amount of chances. The midfield only seem capable of moving the ball quickly for a very small proportion of the game.

djr8369

Yeh I don’t know why everyone’s losing their shit and thinking it’s going to do anything but have a detrimental impact on performances.
Team needs the fans to get behind them not start laying into them.

Don’t need an atmosphere like Sunderland when they got relegated to championship
You don’t think booing the players and slagging them off on social media accusing them of not being professional footballers is helping?

bigfatronssba

I’m not sure how it’s the fans who always end up it’s the blame.
You can’t expect someone to show the passion and commitment needed to pay hundreds of pounds for tickets, and invest hours of their time into supporting the team, and then not be annoyed when the team put in a performance like that.

If these players are any good, they’ll already know that their performances haven’t been good enough. The fans pointing it out shouldn’t change anything

Grendel

Its not a valid argument - we have spent a lot of money on players - you are basically saying Robins has benefited from 2 signings who have then carried the whole team

Last season we wasted what money we had on Palmer - if this seasons signings are poor and cannot recover value then its nonsense

We have spent more in defence ever and we have a £10m strike force which are not it seems as good as a £700 grand 32 year old.

Skyblueweeman

Its not a valid argument - we have spent a lot of money on players - you are basically saying Robins has benefited from 2 signings who have then carried the whole team

Last season we wasted what money we had on Palmer - if this seasons signings are poor and cannot recover value then its nonsense

We have spent more in defence ever and we have a £10m strike force which are not it seems as good as a £700 grand 32 year old.
Are you saying MR didn't benefit from two signings - who many would argue, did carry the team?? Odd stance.

Like I said on another post, out defence is currently top 10 in the division (based on goals conceded). Hardly meltdown time.

Granted, we need more (and I've expected more) from the HW and ES.

Matt smith

Are you saying MR didn't benefit from two signings - who many would argue, did carry the team?? Odd stance.

Like I said on another post, out defence is currently top 10 in the division (based on goals conceded). Hardly meltdown time.

Granted, we need more (and I've expected more) from the HW and ES.
@Skyblueweeman as a far more rational poster than myself especially after a poor run of results

what 11 would you select over the next few weeks, would you bring back the box?

rob9872

Not sure if it's relevant but Micky Adams came back a few weeks ago and was interviewed at HT ... we've not won a game since 😡😡😡😡😡😡

rob9872

@Skyblueweeman as a far more rational poster than myself especially after a poor run of results

OK not me, but I'd go:

Wilson
JDS Binks, Lati, Kitchens Eccles
Kelly, Allen
Ayari, Tats
Simms

Skyblueweeman

I don't think MR will change formation...he's obviously trying to get this set of players playing in a certain way so I don't think he'll undo the efforts by changing it right now.

But I'd give it a go. Ayari/Palmer...not sure who I'd start next week. If really pushed I'd maybe stick them both in behind Simms and ask Godden (top scorer I know) to sit on the bench. Allen in for Eccles probably.

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Kitching
Binks Allen Kelly JDS
Ayari Palmer
Simms

If two up top, Godden in for Palmer.

Grendel

I don't think MR will change formation...he's obviously trying to get this set of players playing in a certain way so I don't think he'll undo the efforts by changing it right now.

But I'd give it a go. Ayari/Palmer...not sure who I'd start next week. If really pushed I'd maybe stick them both in behind Simms and ask Godden (top scorer I know) to sit on the bench. Allen in for Eccles probably.

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Kitching
Binks Allen Kelly JDS
Ayari Palmer
Simms

Palmer 😂😂

rob9872

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Kitching
Binks Allen Kelly JDS
Ayari Palmer
Simms

Palmer out for 8 weeks and are you playing Binks at RWB?

Brighton Sky Blue

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Kitching
Binks Allen Kelly JDS
Ayari Palmer
Simms

I think you need a lie down in one of your hotel rooms

Grendel

Funny the Grendel crew aren’t all over Ayari for his performance last night. As bad as anything Palmer has put out.

Yeah a 19 year old loan versus a guy we’ve invested millions in

M&B Stand

So, cast your mind back. We finish seventh after a great run at the end of the season, the following season we sell our talisman and top scorer at an inconvenient time, panic a bit with signing a replacement forward, but although it was a mediocre start it wasn't awful.

But, the expectation of the previous season's finish had us think we should be world beaters, the atmosphere got tense and needless pressure was put on the players - we ended up creating a crisis rather than seeing if it could be ridden out.

Just saying. There are disappointments and all that, but we haven't been that bad really, we're not that far from gelling... if we stick together.

(Although I'll struggle to make the case for Wright just atm admittedly!)

yeah cuz Adams then went and spunked 900k on Kevin Kyle, and off we went on the downward spiral, so I do see the parallels

Hertsccfc

Yeah a 19 year old loan versus a guy we’ve invested millions in
Didn't stop you with Norton-Cuffy or Wilson-Esbrand did it? Every match you complained about them totally unfairly and desperately tried to pretend they were responsible for goals which they clearly weren't.

Interesting no comment about Bidwell's pathetic defending for their goal last night. You seem desperately disappointed Dasilva has been playing so well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread