Michael Rose (1 Viewer)

Frostie

What did he do wrong tonight?

The goal was his fault, completely abandoned his position.
Missed numerous headers, got too tight to his man who turned him with ease more than once, gave away stupid free kicks in dangerous areas.

I'm sure hes just rusty though but great to have the option of Østigård too.

AFCCOVENTRY

Blackburn have a very dangerous attack and Osti should come in for Rose. But Robins is unlikely to change the back 3 now.

fernandopartridge

Not sure why Rose is being blamed for the first goal. Hyam again was the deepest of the 3 centre backs playing their player onside, and then was a bit slow to come out and block the shot.

Hobo

Rose, Hyam, Ostigaard. All taking a step up. Give them time they are young players. All players can have a bad game or a run of iffy form.

What is noticeable this season is how quickly teams can close you down and put the player on the ball under pressure.

Last night I felt Marosi's distrabution could have been smarter. Several examples where he put our wing back under presssure and Swansea could nick the ball into space behind them.

One incident where Marosi decided to float a chip across the penalty area to Hyam. The ball was so long in the air he was easily closed down and let with a one on one aerial challenge. Hyam won it but could only knock a weak header back into midfield which Swansea picked up.

Some of our poor passing wasn't the fault of the player giving the ball away. It was due to the poor pass they received. The space advatantage they had was lost due to sloppy lazy passing. So by the time the ball was received they were trying to pass under pressure.

When we get it right we look as good as anyone and created the best chances in both halfs v Swansea.

We have had tough fixtures and I think there are lots of positives so far. We have young players who are still learning their trade and seem to be progressing and growing in stature.

Frostie

Not sure why Rose is being blamed for the first goal. Hyam again was the deepest of the 3 centre backs playing their player onside, and then was a bit slow to come out and block the shot.

We're not trying to play offside there.

Rose, for reasons only known to him, went & stood in midfield - ball watching, completely abandoning his position. Swansea duly attacked the gaping hole he left forcing McFadz across.

inCollage_20201021_111344850.jpg

He actually did it in on a few other occasions too, the Lowe shot which he skied came from the same thing.

Londonccfcfan

Rose has alot of potential but does find himself out of position alot, his passing is generally good not quite as good as McFadz in that respect. Hes one that will improve and must learn to do his job primarily defend. In that respect i dont think hes as no nonsense as Hyam.

Rose has done well to oust Ostigard at the moment.

All 3 of our centre backs have different attributes.

Londonccfcfan

Rose was fortunate last night he had Sam covering alot of ground defensively and important headed clearances.

Hyam on the other hand has to deal with Giles whos a liability defensively.

Esoterica

We're not trying to play offside there.

Rose, for reasons only known to him, went & stood in midfield - ball watching, completely abandoning his position. Swansea duly attacked the gaping hole he left forcing McFadz across.

View attachment 17279

He actually did it in on a few other occasions too, the Lowe shot which he skied came from the same thing.
We might not have been actively trying to play offside but Hyam has got to be aware of what is happening when Rose has travelled that far - it's not a split second decision for him of whether to step up to McFadz line (or even drop off and sweep). Everything Hyam needs to see is right there in front of him too. Rose's mistake? Yes? Could his fellow CBs have handled it better? Definitely.

fernandopartridge

We might not have been actively trying to play offside but Hyam has got to be aware of what is happening when Rose has travelled that far - it's not a split second decision for him of whether to step up to McFadz line (or even drop off and sweep). Everything Hyam needs to see is right there in front of him too. Rose's mistake? Yes? Could his fellow CBs have handled it better? Definitely.

Despite Rose being out of position, there was still plenty of work to do for them to score. It's probably also worth being clear that Rose has followed Lowe up there, it isn't that he's wandering chasing the ball.

That's twice this season (Bristol and last night) where Hyam has been caught behind the other two centre backs. As you say, he's looking across the line and needs to be thinking about at least holding the line with McFadz.

Frostie

Despite Rose being out of position, there was still plenty of work to do for them to score. It's probably also worth being clear that Rose has followed Lowe up there, it isn't that he's wandering chasing the ball.

That's twice this season (Bristol and last night) where Hyam has been caught behind the other two centre backs. As you say, he's looking across the line and needs to be thinking about at least holding the line with McFadz.

I don't disagree with that but it's a really poor decision from Rose - he has no need to follow Lowe there he should pass him on to Sheaf/Allen, by doing what he did there they're in behind us with just one simple pass.

Could Hyam have done more? Possibly. Probably McFadz too but it all stems from Rose's error of judgement.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as Grendel last night in suggesting either is our of their depth but both Rose & Hyam make some very basic errors which will be punished far more at this level.

fernandopartridge

I don't disagree with that but it's a really poor decision from Rose - he has no need to follow Lowe there he should pass him on to Sheaf/Allen, by doing what he did there they're in behind us with just one simple pass.

Could Hyam have done more? Possibly. Probably McFadz too but it all stems from Rose's error of judgement.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as Grendel last night in suggesting either is our of their depth but both Rose & Hyam make some very basic errors which will be punished far more at this level.

It's a learning curve I suppose, new players to this level. I thought we otherwise defended well against a decent strike force.

Frostie

It's a learning curve I suppose, new players to this level. I thought we otherwise defended well against a decent strike force.

Definitely. We won't come up against the quality of Ayew every week & the more they play at this level I'm sure we can iron out some of the errors. With Rose I think it's predominantly just being a bit rusty in fairness.
Great to have Østigård too.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Definitely. We won't come up against the quality of Ayew every week & the more they play at this level I'm sure we can iron out some of the errors. With Rose I think it's predominantly just being a bit rusty in fairness.
Great to have Østigård too.
Thing is we’re saying that regularly now “we won’t come up agaisnt the quality of <enter player here>. Fact is we will. Blackburn have good players - Bradley Dack is a class player, we all know Armstrong is a class player. Middlesbrough have Assambalonga, Derby in a few weeks have Rooney.

this is a much better league than the one we left in 2012, agree about Rose there, he can’t be anywhere near match fit

skybluesam66

Thing is we’re saying that regularly now “we won’t come up agaisnt the quality of <enter player here>. Fact is we will. Blackburn have good players - Bradley Dack is a class player, we all know Armstrong is a class player. Middlesbrough have Assambalonga, Derby in a few weeks have Rooney.

this is a much better league than the one we left in 2012, agree about Rose there, he can’t be anywhere near match fit
Fortunately this is a much better team than the one we left with in 2012

Frostie

Yeah, agree with that - all the teams have some serious quality. I meant more of the complete all around forward play from Ayew that can cause problems in so many different ways.
Rooney for example is still a class act but won't be running into the channels, dragging the CBs out of position etc.

Brighton Sky Blue

That goal wasn’t just one person’s fault, it could’ve been intercepted multiple times

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah, agree with that - all the teams have some serious quality. I meant more of the complete all around forward play from Ayew that can cause problems in so many different ways.
Rooney for example is still a class act but won't be running into the channels, dragging the CBs out of position etc.
It’s mad - the quality in this league now

Mucca Mad Boys

2nd penalty he’s conceded this season. Why do we give away so soft penalties?

Saddlebrains

Delighted about a City player being sent off - you need to take a long hard look at yourself son.

Where did i say i was delighted you lettuce? Pointing out that i got pelters for it when its actually now proving to be quite topical and not far off correct. So pop your tampon back in

lordy_87

Yes he had an injury but he's been shocking since he's come back. Can't understand why Robins chose him ahead of Østigård when it's been clear on the last couple of games that he's been struggling at this level.

Londonccfcfan

There is no doubt he's one of the better passers out of defence as compared to Hyam. But he can't defend. Which is his primary job.

Users who are viewing this thread