Messi (1 Viewer)

Didge76

Not City related I know but how would Messi perform in the EPL? Scores so many goals for Barca but I'm pretty sure that would not happen over here, thoughts?

Astute

Correct. But only because Barca wouldn't be allowed to play here.

cornoccfc

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmpucONJP.jpg
    tmpucONJP.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 139

leachy19

Best of all time, and way to clever to come to england and risk his incredible reputation. He wouldn't maintain his ratio and not because of better football over here - just different style of play. Best thing he can do for his career is stick at barca forever and just continue to batter us in europe. That's my thoughts on it all.

This thread is a prime example of why I refuse to post or engage with this forum platform. Utter drivel.

Piss off then, rather than keep posting how you refuse to post.

Nicholas, I appreciate split opinions form polar views but there's no need for the non-PG language on what I would hope is a family friendly forum.

Terry Gibson's perm

Best of all time, and way to clever to come to england and risk his incredible reputation. He wouldn't maintain his ratio and not because of better football over here - just different style of play. Best thing he can do for his career is stick at barca forever and just continue to batter us in europe. That's my thoughts on it all.

Not even the best Argentinian of all time, Maradona took a mid table team in the toughest league in the world and made them champions and then carried the national team to a World cup win in a time when you could tackle, Messi has a lot of good players around him.

Maradona,Messi, Ronaldo for me not sure about Pele i think his legend may have improved with time and I never saw George Best

Otis

Correct. But only because Barca wouldn't be allowed to play here.

Why not? We already have foreign teams in the Premier. Previously Cardiff and now Swansea for a number of seasons.

The more the merrier. Remember, we have very little here in terms of immigration policy.

Nick

Administrator
Nicholas, I appreciate split opinions form polar views but there's no need for the non-PG language on what I would hope is a family friendly forum.

As I said, if you don't want to post then don't.

Keep posting how you refuse to post just makes you look silly.

SkyBlueSid

He'd still score 40 goals a season I reckon

Of course he would, comfortably. If he can score 50+ in Spain, the drop to the EPL would be no problem at all. He would find it even easier against defenders here. As was said tonight, even kicking lumps off him doesn't work. He won't ever play here of course, he will be at Barca for life.

As to whether he's the best of all time, he is for my money. What is not appreciated by those who don't watch him regularly is that he isn't just a goalscorer. I can't recall a better passer of the ball ever, how he spots the pass and delivers it inch-perfectly is incredible.

I have made a point in the 50 years I've been watching football to see as many great players live as possible. I've seen Pele, Best Eusebio, Greaves, Beckenbauer, Muller, Iniesta, Xavi, and many others, but Messi is the one I feel most privileged to have seen.

kg82

Word for word, my thoughts. Also, those that think Ronaldo is better are uncultured and stupid!!

As I said, if you don't want to post then don't.

Keep posting how you refuse to post just makes you look silly.

I know what you said, it's the way you said it Nicholas. I would have hoped you would be more welcoming.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Me too.

I could see him scoring 20-25, no problem, but 40? I would very much doubt it myself.

He would destroy premier league defences, 20-25? even Harry Kane managed that this year.

Give him 38 premier league games, theres no way he's not scoring at least 35 goals and most years he would be over 40.

Gint11

Messi would do well in England because he is so good however he would need time to adapt as I'm sure the climate will hit him and so would many teams, kicking him up and down. Messi and Ronaldo are really in their own class but for me, Ronaldo is better as he's done it in a few leagues. Messi has only played in Spain. Another thing to note is he is a lazy bastard. Walks and strolls around the pitche then bursts into life in spells. Not knocking him, he is special but I think Ronaldo has it all. Strength, pace, movement, heading both feet engine etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

He would destroy premier league defences, 20-25? even Harry Kane managed that this year.

Give him 38 premier league games, theres no way he's not scoring at least 35 goals and most years he would be over 40.

We will have to agree to disagree then, cause I honestly don't believe Messi would score 40 goals in the PL.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We will have to agree to disagree then, cause I honestly don't believe Messi would score 40 goals in the PL.
Why? Because the premier league is the best in the world? Because he would struggle against the giants of Robert Huth and Ryan Shawcross?

You are criminally underrating Messi here. Lots of players have managed to score 20-25 goals in the premier league and Messi is miles ahead of all of them. Aguero is good for 25-30 goals if he's fit and Messi is on another level to him. Suarez got 31 in 33 games in his last year at Liverpool and Messi is much better than Suarez.

I'm struggling to see how you came to the conclusion he would only score 20-25 goals in England. Maybe you would be right if he was injured for half of the season.

I only agree that you are wrong :slap:

Otis

Why? Because the premier league is the best in the world? Because he would struggle against the giants of Robert Huth and Ryan Shawcross?

You are criminally underrating Messi here. Lots of players have managed to score 20-25 goals in the premier league and Messi is miles ahead of all of them. Aguero is good for 25-30 goals if he's fit and Messi is on another level to him. Suarez got 31 in 33 games in his last year at Liverpool and Messi is much better than Suarez.

I'm struggling to see how you came to the conclusion he would only score 20-25 goals in England. Maybe you would be right if he was injured for half of the season.

I only agree that you are wrong :slap:

That's because I didn't say he would only score 20-25 goals in England. I have not said that.

I said 20-25, no problem. That's not only 20-25. I said it would be no problem for him to score 20-25, I therefore believe he will score more than that. Just not 40.

Otis

So 20-25 is the minimum you'd expect him to score then? That is what you meant?

Ok you're still wrong though.
So sorry you are the all consuming, all knowing oracle.

Ridiculous this, so I will not waste my time arguing. Totally pointless. We are both guessing and neither of us know how well he would do here, but seemingly you to seem to know that he would score 40 goals. It's a nonsense.

Next week's Euromillions results please.

I simply said it would be no problem for him to score 20-25 goals. No problem at all. If I had to guess, I would say over 30, but I still do not believe he would get 40 goals.

Gint11

I'm telling you now he wouldn't get 40 goals in England. I think he would get a shock playing in premier. Not because of quality but space on the ball, tight pitches and how aggressive out game is. If you reckon he would your entitled to, but your merely looking at stats and stats alone. In my opinion La Liga is a 3 team league is actually shite.

SkyBlue_Bear83

So 20-25 goals is the minimum you would expect him to score then?

In a full season there is no way he's getting less than 35 league goals and he'd be getting 40 most years. That is only league goals, in all competitions he'd probably be over 50.

I'm no all knowing oracle, I just find it funny when people try to convince themselves Messi wouldn't be as good in England. I'm literally facepalming here.

Otis

I'm telling you now he wouldn't get 40 goals in England. I think he would get a shock playing in premier. Not because of quality but space on the ball, tight pitches and how aggressive out game is. If you reckon he would your entitled to, but your merely looking at stats and stats alone. In my opinion La Liga is a 3 team league is actually shite.

It is a different game and many a player has come over here with a good pedigree and it hasn't quite worked out for them.

40 goals is an awful lot and the most anyone has ever scored in the Premier has been 31. Do I think Messi could beat that? Yes, I think he is capable of doing so, but as I say, 40 is one hell of a lot of goals and the Premier league is a different league for sure.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It is a different game and many a player has come over here with a good pedigree and it hasn't quite worked out for them.

40 goals is an awful lot and the most anyone has ever scored in the Premier has been 31. Do I think Messi could beat that? Yes, I think he is capable of doing so, but as I say, 40 is one hell of a lot of goals and the Premier league is a different league for sure.
The premier league has never seen a player as good as Messi though

SkyBlue_Bear83

And based on this year the BPL is a one team league.

Over the last 3 years England has had one champions league semi finalist, Spain has had 6.

Even there second tier teams like Bilbao, Valencia, Villarreal, Sevilla constantly outperform the English teams in the europa league.

SkyBlueSid

And based on this year the BPL is a one team league.

Over the last 3 years England has had one champions league semi finalist, Spain has had 6.

Even there second tier teams like Bilbao, Valencia, Villarreal, Sevilla constantly outperform the English teams in the europa league.

I think Gint is on a wind-up. There is no doubt that La Liga is a stronger league than the Premier League, top to bottom. The top Spanish teams, as you say, are far superior, and the lower teams would fare well against some of the rubbish here. I have watched lots of Spanish football from La Liga down to the Tercera and the game is set up completely differently there. I have to say that defending in England, even at Premier level, is becoming a lost art which is why we struggle internationally.

Messi would have no difficulty adapting to the Premier League either and would certainly score at least as many goals here as in Spain. It is ridiculous to say he had played nowhere else, why would he leave the club he loves to drop down to another league? It won't happen. Comparing Ronaldo to Messi is superfluous too, there is so much more to Messi's game. As I said before, he is the best passer of a ball I've ever seen too. His mindset as a team player is different. Clearly he wasn't bothered about the Pichichi when, on a hat trick, he handed a penalty to Neymar. Ronaldo would have killed a teammate to take that penalty!

It is certainly true that Messi plays for Barcelona, whilst Ronaldo plays for Ronaldo. Messi is compared to the greats of all time, such as Pele, Maradona and Eusebio. Ronaldo just gets compared to Messi and is found wanting.

ccfc92

Messi would do well in England because he is so good however he would need time to adapt as I'm sure the climate will hit him and so would many teams, kicking him up and down. Messi and Ronaldo are really in their own class but for me, Ronaldo is better as he's done it in a few leagues. Messi has only played in Spain. Another thing to note is he is a lazy bastard. Walks and strolls around the pitche then bursts into life in spells. Not knocking him, he is special but I think Ronaldo has it all. Strength, pace, movement, heading both feet engine etc etc

Have to agree with this. Personally think Ronaldo is better as an overall player.

Sky Blue Harry H

Have to agree with this. Personally think Ronaldo is better as an overall player.

Messi for me, every time. Ronaldo is fantastic in the air, but Messi's awareness of tem-mates positions on the piitch puts him on another level imho (oh, and he's quite good at dribbling, too!)

Users who are viewing this thread