Messi (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

I don’t think there is an amount as they are in a real state after years of overspending.

Yeah their finances are appalling but clearly there is some money there, as they were going to pay it over 5 years rather than 2.

Scary how bad the financial situation is. When you look deeper you wonder who allowed it to get into this state.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah their finances are appalling but clearly there is some money there, as they were going to pay it over 5 years rather than 2.

Scary how bad the financial situation is. When you look deeper you wonder who allowed it to get into this state.

It shows that fan ownership at the top level is difficult, but Barcelona having been overpaying for average players for a long time.

skybluegod

It shows that fan ownership at the top level is difficult, but Barcelona having been overpaying for average players for a long time.

Agreed, and they haven't learnt their lesson in my view.

I find Aguero a weird signing. Has become injury prone and hasn't shone much form the last 12-18 months.

And they let Suarez go because he was 31 12 months ago, and then sign Aguero a year later when he's the same age.

Last edited:

robbiekeane

It's what Laporta said. He said keeping him on the agreed terms would have risked the financial future of the club
He’s already halved his wages. Him leaving and being off the books completely puts them at 95% of the allowed spending, which means they’ve still got people they cannot register. So people saying he should reduce his wages etc is silly

SkyBlue_Bear83

Strange one this, why did Barcelona sign Depay, Aguero and Garcia before Messi.

La Liga rules hasn't come as a surprise to them, get the big one signed first and if you can't afford Depay then who cares.

I know it will likely never happen in modern football but wouldn't have been amazing for messi to say, I'll play for £500 a week. Then people always like to compare it to the average Joe and say you wouldn't accept less money to do the same job.

But if I had 100s of millions in the banks and assets, probably more money than I could ever spend I'm not sure I would care. What's an extra 25 million really going to do for the quality of messi's life. Doing what you love or playing for you love surely has to be worth it?

SlowerThanPlatt

La Liga rules hasn't come as a surprise to them, get the big one signed first and if you can't afford Depay then who cares.

I know it will likely never happen in modern football but wouldn't have been amazing for messi to say, I'll play for £500 a week. Then people always like to compare it to the average Joe and say you wouldn't accept less money to do the same job.

But if I had 100s of millions in the banks and assets, probably more money than I could ever spend I'm not sure I would care. What's an extra 25 million really going to do for the quality of messi's life. Doing what you love or playing for you love surely has to be worth it?

Would you expect the best in another profession to do their job for free because they’ve earnt enough money?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Would you expect the best in another profession to do their job for free because they’ve earnt enough money?
No I wouldn't expect, but I'd have mad respect for them if they said I could get 50 times more money somewhere else but I don't need the money and I love it here, it is my home and I just couldn't imagine being happy anywhere else.

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s been reported that Messi alone generates 31% (or thereabouts) of Barcelona’s revenue. Why would anyone who is that valuable to an organisation do it for free or on a contract that doesn’t reflect their contribution.

Barcelona have only got themselves to blame. They have systematically overpaid players for too long and the chickens have come to roost.

It’ll be a good thing for Barcelona to press a ‘reset’ button and start again around some of the promising talent they’ve got.

Grendel

No I wouldn't expect, but I'd have mad respect for them if they said I could get 50 times more money somewhere else but I don't need the money and I love it here, it is my home and I just couldn't imagine being happy anywhere else.

I think if anyone did they they’d have zero respect and look utterly foolish

SkyBlue_Bear83

Don't get mad guys, messi is entitled to earn his money and be paid his worth like everyone else. Never said he wasn't

But if it's just business and about the money then let's not hold televised press conferences crying and talking about how how much you love Barcelona (but love the money more) and don't want to leave.

Grendel

Don't get mad guys, messi is entitled to earn his money and be paid his worth like everyone else. Never said he wasn't

But if it's just business and about the money then let's not hold televised press conferences crying and talking about how how much you love Barcelona (but love the money more) and don't want to leave.

why can’t you show genuine emotion when you’ve been somewhere all your working life?

Evo1883

A player as good as Messi commands the wage , why should he have to play for nothing ?

20 odd years of service , shat out though going to farmers ville ... but never mind

SkyBlue_Bear83

I just think when you are that rich, happiness should be prioritised.

If playing for Barcelona makes you happy then that is what he should do.

If playing somewhere else with an extra 25 million in the bank is what makes you happy then that is what you should do.

No hate for choosing money

Hope Messi makes the right decision for himself on where he plays next, as a joyful messi is a blessing to watch on the pitch.

SlowerThanPlatt

A player as good as Messi commands the wage , why should he have to play for nothing ?

20 odd years of service , shat out though going to farmers ville ... but never mind

Indeed, just the 38 goals in 47 games last season. You’ve got Coutinho 380k on a week adding nothing, why would Messi offer to play for nothing?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think if anyone did they they’d have zero respect and look utterly foolish

Difference of opinion of what you value isn't it? I'm not surprised your take on it is less respect.

I'd say Bill Gates has tons more respect for his recent philanthropic work than the Microsoft stuff for some people. Those who purely value money would see it the complete opposite.

There's no right or wrong answer. Messi can choose to continue earning as much as he can get whoever is willing to pay him that and that's absolutely fine. It's his choice. On the other hand if he had chosen to finish his career at Barca on a much lower wage so it was affordable to the club because he's already ridiculously rich and can just afford to do what he wants whether he gets paid a fortune or not then that would be perfectly acceptable too. Who wouldn't love to be in a position to be able to do as they please with their life because they don't need to worry about the financial constraints?

Like some people who quit promising careers because they want to see their children grow up. For some people they've got a huge amount of respect for that because they're doing what matters to them. To others their idiots because their harming their earning potential. Both are valid points of view and it just depends on where you sit on what is and isn't valuable.

Bolsonaro wants to decimate the Amazon because he thinks the country can be wealthier. Just as many think he's an utter lunatic who has no idea of the true value of things.

Grendel

Difference of opinion of what you value isn't it? I'm not surprised your take on it is less respect.

I'd say Bill Gates has tons more respect for his recent philanthropic work than the Microsoft stuff for some people. Those who purely value money would see it the complete opposite.

There's no right or wrong answer. Messi can choose to continue earning as much as he can get whoever is willing to pay him that and that's absolutely fine. It's his choice. On the other hand if he had chosen to finish his career at Barca on a much lower wage so it was affordable to the club because he's already ridiculously rich and can just afford to do what he wants whether he gets paid a fortune or not then that would be perfectly acceptable too. Who wouldn't love to be in a position to be able to do as they please with their life because they don't need to worry about the financial constraints?

Like some people who quit promising careers because they want to see their children grow up. For some people they've got a huge amount of respect for that because they're doing what matters to them. To others their idiots because their harming their earning potential. Both are valid points of view and it just depends on where you sit on what is and isn't valuable.

Bolsonaro wants to decimate the Amazon because he thinks the country can be wealthier. Just as many think he's an utter lunatic who has no idea of the true value of things.

bill gates doesn’t get any income any more?

Grendel

Messi wouldn't get any income if he played football for free? Wouldn't have endorsements/merch money?

gates earns 1,300 a second he’s not giving it up is he? His brand grows and grows so the Messi brand if staying the same makes him the better person?

SBAndy

gates earns 1,300 a second he’s not giving it up is he? His brand grows and grows so the Messi brand if staying the same makes him the better person?

And yet I’m sure that Messi could still earn through sponsorship deals, etc.

Besides, found out yesterday that La Liga has a rule that any contract offered cannot be less than 50% of the previous wage. Hence the reason this situation has come about. Seems a bit mad.

Users who are viewing this thread