McSheffrey is our best striker & should start up front....... (1 Viewer)

Ccfc1979

If Cody doesn't come good I'd agree, but feel he should be given a good chance in this league up front at the beginning of the season.

ClarrieB

We should have kept Platty and Freddie imo - would have done well in this League - for the sack of an extra year.
As it is I think you may be right, although Cody should do well -I think they need to play off a big man up top.

skybluegod

you mad charlie? i liked freddy but it was quite clear he was a waste of space and stopped me getting my pies on Saturdays.

cstring82

Not sure on the Freddie idea, but agree that Cody should be looking to be the top striker, I'm hoping Elliot will be half reasonable to L1 standard as well

Marty

Eastwood was given 4 years to prove himself, he did have a very good goal scoring record when he started, but most of the time he just didn't look interested and wasn't worth a single penny of the wages we paid him last year. Platt I think we should have gotten rid too for someone quicker but still with that physical presence, Ball & that Brazilian (can't remember his name) maybe the ones to fill the gap.

I think you're right about Cody playing off a big man, I'd have gone for 3 upfront, big man in the middle with McSheffrey and Cody running off him.

KersleyDigs

If we're going to use wide players this year, Fleck, Baker, Bell & Roberts can cover those.
I think McSheffrey would be wasted out wide in this league and would bag minimum 15 league goals played as a striker....

skybluegod

play a narrow 4-3-3 like:

-------------------murphy----------------
clarke-----malaga--------wood-------hussey
------thomas-------fleck-------kilbane
-------------cody--------sheffers
------------------ball/bruno---------

well 4-3-2-1 then

Last edited:
Agreed, I would give McSheffrey an early run of games up top - hopefully get a few goals in him - confidence up and bomb on from there.

covcity4life

yes hes capable of 15 goals in L1 easily,got 9 or 10 last year and wasnt really played as a striker

stil think cody will bag 20 in this league though

rob9872

play a narrow 4-3-3 like:

-------------------murphy----------------
clarke-----malaga--------wood-------hussey
------thomas-------felch-------kilbane
-------------cody--------sheffers
------------------ball/bruno---------

well 4-3-2-1 then

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

KersleyDigs

McSheffrey switching to striker was what gave us that little run that made a few believe we could stay up.
One thing he doesn't get credit for is how good he is off the ball. He makes curved runs off shoulders that force our midfielders to make the pass in behind, something that I didn't see any one else in our squad do last year.....

KersleyDigs

Latter end of the season. It started when he was swithced from midfield in the last 15 minutes of a game, he scored and looked ten times better than Nimely and Platt. He had a little run then of starting up top.

It was around the time that we started to close the gap....

aodea

He is a good player, at this level he would scorre goals. my question is if he plays up front, who fills his current postion?

If we're going to use wide players this year, Fleck, Baker, Bell & Roberts can cover those.
I think McSheffrey would be wasted out wide in this league and would bag minimum 15 league goals played as a striker....

Despite Gary McSheffrey's goal scoring record over the years for CCFC and other clubs (Luton, Birmingham, Notts Forest, Leeds) he does get some quite unfair stick at times in this forum and by matchday fans when you consider he has scored 87 league goals in 340 games (incl 62 as sub).

This equates to an average of 12 goals per 46 game season assuming all sub appearances were for the majority of games which they were not.

No CCFC player has come anywhere near that consistency over the last 10 years - so yes I think Sheffs should play up front probably in the diamond position behind the two prime central strikers but ONLY if we can supply the ammunition from midfield and to feet.

Also don't expect Sheffs to chase back and harass the opposition thus losing shape and nullifying attacking options - we have had enough of our "Centre Forwards" roaming about the park chasing lost causes reducing CCFC numbers in the box.

I am sure by now AT will recognise this and utilise Sheffs to his full potential in this league and like Keresly Digs implies I think also that Gary Mc is more than capable of scoring 15+ goals this season

PUSB

KersleyDigs

Fleck. He is a very similar type of player to McSheffrey, if a little more creative, good left foot, good for wide role or behind the striker.
Which would allow McSheffrey to play off the shoulder.

Nice post Johnniericoh!

Last edited:

Gaz

McSheffrey did play upfront last season I thought.

Didn't he play with Juke for a few games before juke went to Middlesboro ?

pusbccfc

We have many attacking midfielders and strikers currently.
The next few pre season games against higher opposition will give a better idea on who may just thrive in this league.
IMO baker has to try and find some of his old goalscoring when he was back in the lower leagues.
If he can do that, he may just become our main player.
Mcsheffery has got to put more effort in away from home. He got lost in some big fixtures last season.

Cody looked sharper against Nunny, if he can get a good string of scoring games, we'll see what made him, league 2 player of the year, top scorer and various other awards.

Fleck and Elliott have potential as well.

As with the target men, if they can link up a good partnership with the likes of Elliott and Cody they may just thrive.

WE HAVE POTENTIAL!

covcity4life

we have players capable of scoring we just need to find that final third pass

thorn needs to concentrate of movement rather than looking more strikers on trial.

ClarrieB

McSheffrey switching to striker was what gave us that little run that made a few believe we could stay up.
One thing he doesn't get credit for is how good he is off the ball. He makes curved runs off shoulders that force our midfielders to make the pass in behind, something that I didn't see any one else in our squad do last year.....

Think he was playing as a more free role attacking midfielder - playing off Platt and The Juke wasn't he?

Gaz

we have players capable of scoring we just need to find that final third pass

thorn needs to concentrate of movement rather than looking more strikers on trial.

I agree with that, at times the off ball movement of players was poor and we didn't give options for each other.

Just seen that YOUTUBE video "Gary McSheffrey - The Goals" and that alone emphasises the goal scoring class of Ggry Mc - some of the 47 goals displayed were sheer class, a combination of left foot, right foot and headers - the majority were scored from within the pen area primarily from big man knockdowns (eg: Big Dele), through balls from midfield and crosses from the flanks (all of which last season just didn't happen).

To put Sheffs on the flanks next season will be sheer folly in this league, he MUST play up front and receive the sort of service as illustrated in the video then there will be goals aplenty.

PUSB

PVA

We don't have any other left sided players though so as things stand he has to play out wide.

KersleyDigs

Was moved up front a number of times for the last 10-15 minutes in games, he even started a few games when we had injuries and reverted back to attacking mid, even though I think he should have stayed up top
Think he was playing as a more free role attacking midfielder - playing off Platt and The Juke wasn't he?

skybluegod

Was moved up front a number of times for the last 10-15 minutes in games, he even started a few games when we had injuries and reverted back to attacking mid, even though I think he should have stayed up top

no he only played at christmas as a striker

Users who are viewing this thread