McSheffrey is back! (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I have just read this too.

Hopefully he will do well and with a pre season he will have time to get fit again, it says he passed a lot of fitness tests so must be quite fit.

smileycov

Facebook User
great move, he is a posotive signing, allways looking to attack.

the first of many i hope!!

T

TrevorsathisPeake

At last we sign someone!! Hopefuly he can produce again,he's had a tough time of late with injury,some people may say he's lost it.But to judge him over the last couple of season's is unfair.Birmingham have been in Prem the last couple of season's,which to be fair he is'nt good enough for.But when he played regualuy in the Championship for us and Birmingham he produced.But forget any talk of him being a striker,he is'nt,he produced his best and scored most whilst playing on the left hand side for us and Brum.Hopefuly a great signing,although alot of it is surely down to the club wanting a fan-pleaser for season tickets etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TrevorsathisPeake

I have just read this too.

Hopefully he will do well and with a pre season he will have time to get fit again, it says he passed a lot of fitness tests so must be quite fit.

The club can't be that sure about his fitness as he has only been given 1 year contract.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Great signing IMO, what did i say yesterday CoventryLa_La_La about sheffers signing this week ;)

sotv1987

I think ranson has got it spot on, give McSheff a year see how his fitness is and take it from there, i'm chuffed that he's back and i think he'll do a good job for us, but you have to bear in mind he's hasn't palyed a lot of football since he left, so i one year deal, in my opinion is the best he could have expected.

Nick

Administrator
Fingers crossed he will do well, maybe his heart will be in it and he will want to end his career here on a high?

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
If he gets a good pre-season and doesn't pick up any knocks I think it will be great! He's about 27 now and players are usually at their best at around 27-29 years old. Sheffers has a bit of catching up to do but at least we will see someone playing with some proper passion without the need for waving his arms around (Morrison).

What number do people think he will be? If I remember rightly he was No.10 when he left but thats Eastwoods now. No.8 will be available if Doyle leaves, No.9 is free as well...

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Give him number 10 if he wants it,he's more worthy of it than Eastwood.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Someone asked what number he will be on the official CCFC Facebook page and they have said it will be either 9 or 11.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Are we going to change his song now? Used to say he's better then Henry, but everyone is better then Henry now ;) I heard someone saying it with Rooney instead

McSheffrey ohhhh, McSheffrey ohhh
He comes from Coventry, He's better then Rooney

I look forward to our first game now and everyone shouting and singing Gary McSheffrey! (clap clap clap clap clap) Gary McSheffrey!

Nick

Administrator
I think number 9 should be for a striker, if he is going to be up front then why not number 9?

I personally would have him on the left of midfield unless he is going to play McIndoe.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I think McIndoe would actually make a good left back. Boothroyd has said he wants attacking full backs so I think McIndoe would be good there. When McIndoe played left midfield he was always good defensively and he covered at left back for some time during one game and I think he did ok. I like McIndoe but he has lost some pace with age so I think going to a less demanding spot at left back would be good. Gareth Barry played left back once upon a time, its not impossible to learn a new position.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Irish it's McSheffrey not the reincarnation of Ghandi! :p

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I know weve made 2 signings this week,but when you consider Middlesbrough look set to sign Nicky Bailey and Gary Hooper and Billy Sharp also seeking a move,im slightly dissapointed we aint in for these sort of players.What happened to all the money which we had to spend,All sorts of figures were put on here!!!.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
What is this obsession with having to spend money? Would everyone feel better if we'd payed £1mill for O'Donovan? I actually think if we'd spent £1mill on him people would be a lot more excited by him. We are better at being shrewd, when we had money we signed players like Kevin Kyle for about 600k!! I feel more comfortable that we are building something sustainable. Be realistic guys! Blackpool only spent 500k when they went up, Holloway knew the players he wanted and he got the best out of them and that in my opinion is the best way to get of this league for a team like us - making the best out of what we have got. I'm pretty sure when Boothroyd got Watford up he didn't have a big budget, same with when teams like Hull and Burnley went up. Look how much money Cardiff spent and they were stumped at the final hurdle by Holloways team of triers. Boothroyd knows the kind of players he wants, he wants people who will always give 100% and who don't moan and drop their heads when things are going wrong. Too many times under Coleman we have moaned about players not caring, especially in the last 10 or so games of the season and with Boothroyd I think he has the motivational skills to stop that happening and his players will always give their all. I like the look of this O'Donovan guy, he didn't quite make it and was chucked by our club at an early age but he had the bottle to go and refind himself in the Irish league which he did and then attracted interest from Fulham and Sunderland. Sounds like a guy who's got something about him to me.

PUSB

Last edited:
T

TrevorsathisPeake

Im not obssesed with the club spending money,just that the last 2 signings are hugely unproven,apart from a decent spell at Hartlepool O'Donovan has'nt scored much.Im not gonna include the Irish league,not the best is it.He had a spell at Blackpool and he did very little in terms of goals .On here a few months ago people were saying we had 5/6 million to spend,to which i said no chance.We have a major problem at left back and we go and sign someone whos never played regualy and has had one of the worse injurys a player can have.So to go along with our left back at the club who isnt ready for action yet we go and sign another one with very little experience.
But i suppose youre right about the money thing.FREDDY EASTWOOD £1.2 million!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobi Jones's Dreads

What you have to remember guys is Boothroyd was qouted in saying that he expects 6 or 7 seven signings this transfer window and that 2 or 3 of them might not be completed untill the week before the start of the season as their clubs want to get pre-season out of the way and see weather they will fit into their plans for the upcoming season, these are the fringe premiership players that will cost you money, if we still haven't signed a couple of players for a fee before the start of the season you have every right to feel mislead, but i'm certain AB is going the right way about it getting the free agents in at the start of the window then waiting to purchase players still at clubs near the end of the transfer window where as in recent seasons we've mulled over signing high fee players at the very start of the window and nothing's come of it (Andrew Driver) then panick buying as their are no quality players left in the free agents, well thats my view on it anyway! :)

Aidy Boothroyd's SKY BLUE ARMY!

PUSB

T

TrevorsathisPeake

I'm just a little dissapointed we are not in for Bailey,Hooper or Sharp,to name a few.Ok,they probably even would'nt want to come here but who knows,i think we'd be in with a good chance of getting Sharp,does'nt look as though we have any intrest though,who knows!
As regards the left back position.Before O'halloran arrived we had only 1 left-back at the club,someone who is'nt nowhere near ready/good enough,so it suprised me we signed another one who's had major injury problems and also played very liitle at this level.Hopefully he does well.

Users who are viewing this thread