mcpake gone for free! (1 Viewer)

Gray

can you imagine other teams just giving us a player?

Nonleagueherewecome

Sod 'em, I quit!

gouldberg

We're a real Mickey Mouse organisation nowadays...*shakes head*

dongonzalos

I like Mcpake as a player and I think he would eat up league one. I think he is worth 500k. He was apparently awesome for Hibs.

I can only think that after giving him a contract extension after a broken back for him to then ask to go to Hibs when we were in a relegation dog fight. I imagine AT was let down by him.

I hope that AT has been told you can get in two free transfer centre halves for Mcpakes wages and that is why it has happened (I live in hope. I am certain we wont be with Keogh & Cranie. Leaving Cameron and Willis. I imagine CCFC were desperate to free up Mcpakes wages and did not want a player here, who did not want to be here.

Lets just hope two free transfer centre halves are in the making, although I imagine one of them was that bloke who chose to stay at Aldershot (just guessing)

On top of that Mcpake is currently a target for the RA which brings additional security costs.

stupot07

Problem is he's only worth what someone's willing to pay for him, and he's only got a year left on his contract and he's already told the manager that he wants to go back to Scotland.

Grendel

He had one year on his contract and has hardly played at this level. Hibs also I not in great financial straights. So I guess they will sell him for half a million tomorrow.

He's worth £50k tops.

dongonzalos

He had one year on his contract and has hardly played at this level. Hibs also I not in great financial straights. So I guess they will sell him for half a million tomorrow.

He's worth £50k tops.

They might wait for him to be their player of the season, like he was their player of the last couple of months then sell him for 500k.

But if they sell him for 50k tomorrow, I suppose it is still good business (Jarni) :)

Brighton Sky Blue

He was a revelation for Hibs-he got made captain virtually straight after joining. Fit and in form, he would've been a huge asset to us in the Champs let alone L1; Hibs could not meet the wage demands and pay the transfer fee, so offered us nothing in order to give McPake the contract he was after. I'd have thought it would've been perfect for us to at least negotiate a swap deal so we wouldn't come out totally empty handed.

Stevec189

So people are upset that a player who always looked unfit, off the pace and out of his depth, who did not want to stay, and wanted to move back to Scotland? No fee involved so we do to have to honor any contract clauses and the £100 k covers these. Good riddance to bad rubbish. PUSB

Grendel

So people are upset that a player who always looked unfit, off the pace and out of his depth, who did not want to stay, and wanted to move back to Scotland? No fee involved so we do to have to honor any contract clauses and the £100 k covers these. Good riddance to bad rubbish. PUSB

Agree 100%. He will be paid less at hibs and the no fee deal will be a way to compensate any imbalance.

@richh87

Why such the hysteria?? someone who can't play more then 20 games a season is let go on a free. Think we should count ourselves lucky someone was stupid enough to take him of our hands. Just Baker, Bell, Hussey & Deegan to go!!

Hussey? He's a quality youngster!

Skybluewoody

Yes mcpake had his injuries but I think the spell at hibs has proved he was over that. Hibs wanted him but didn't have the cash. I imagine city would have to pay out some of the clauses in his contract?. Apparently mcpake was on 6k a week. He was willing to take a paycut of 50% a play for 3k a week at hibs. However they were only able to go to 2.5 k a week. The agreement to let him go for a free has been done so hibs can give him his 3k a week while we get him off the books without penalty to the only team showing an interest and save his 6k a week.
Personally not getting a fee is a joke and will be even more of a disaster if AT isn't given the wages to bring 2 players in. Sad to see him go as I thought he was a good central defender. I also imagine this will be the first of a long list of players leaving as city will look to move on any player who is on more than 3k a week which will cover most of the established first team.

Marty

Hussey? He's a quality youngster!

Hes on the younger scale off football but by no means a youngster. Also quality wise, I think he would be ok for league one, hes good going forward but poor defensively. We need value for money and he doesn't offer it to us, always picking up niggly injuries. I can't get on the official site but I doubt hes played more then 25 games last season.

Marty

Yes mcpake had his injuries but I think the spell at hibs has proved he was over that. Hibs wanted him but didn't have the cash. I imagine city would have to pay out some of the clauses in his contract?. Apparently mcpake was on 6k a week. He was willing to take a paycut of 50% a play for 3k a week at hibs. However they were only able to go to 2.5 k a week. The agreement to let him go for a free has been done so hibs can give him his 3k a week while we get him off the books without penalty to the only team showing an interest and save his 6k a week.
Personally not getting a fee is a joke and will be even more of a disaster if AT isn't given the wages to bring 2 players in. Sad to see him go as I thought he was a good central defender. I also imagine this will be the first of a long list of players leaving as city will look to move on any player who is on more than 3k a week which will cover most of the established first team.

Has he? playing 10 - 12 games in a row proves nothing, when he plays over 40 games next season then you can say that, but not before.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hes on the younger scale off football but by no means a youngster. Also quality wise, I think he would be ok for league one, hes good going forward but poor defensively. We need value for money and he doesn't offer it to us, always picking up niggly injuries. I can't get on the official site but I doubt hes played more then 25 games last season.
29 games

Him and Clarke will be amongst the best full back pairing in the league next season, like you say though injuries will always be a concern with him.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
im not shocked at this all im seeing is players going out and nobody coming in ive given up at this stage, all im gonna do is read the utter shite cet put up that weve been hearing the last year it never changes like, would you blame mcpake for leaving with crap thats going on here?

stupot07

Let's look at it from another angle - Fisher commented the other week about 2 teams in the play offs from had a player wage budget of £1.5m and the other's was £4m. He said that our budget was closer to the £4m so basically that's anything over £2.75m. So let say its £3.2m (a guess I know) - McPakes £6k per week wage would be £312k - 9.75% of the players budget. Is it right that ~10% of the players wage budget should be spent on a one player let alone one who has played less than 40 games for us in 2 1/2 years?

CJparker

I can see what haoppened here - Hibs smelt how desperate we are to cut the wage bill, pleaded poverty and then played a game of chicken with Fisher to ensure that they got McPake for free

Grendel

I can see what haoppened here - Hibs smelt how desperate we are to cut the wage bill, pleaded poverty and then played a game of chicken with Fisher to ensure that they got McPake for free

That clearly isn't what happened here.

Sub

i have no problem with him going if he is a high earner or a injury prone player, the problem i have is any player that goes be it for a fee or not a fee is not being replaced this is where the issue lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glen

Cannot believe we can afford to let anyone go for nothing with our debt and when they were thinking over 100,000

skyblue025

Who says he was on 6k a week? Is that speculation or fact?

Another player gone the squad gets smaller and smaller. Centre half was probably our strongest position last season now we are probably going to lose 3 of our first choice. With Christie out until Xmas at best, we are painfully thin.

Last edited:

Tad

What a joke. What are SISU playing at.

Brighton Sky Blue

Offal has him down as 29 games (1 sub).

ccfc_Tom

I dont mind him leaving due to injury proneness but should have got a few hundred k for him at least 100k!

lordsummerisle

Can't believe people whingimg about McPake going on a free, think good negotiation that we didn't have to pay totak e him off our hands.

One of those players signed during the Coleman/Ranson years that we had to say was brilliant despite being absolute shite to justify replacing better players. (Bell/Clingan/Deegan also fall into this category)

Remember people seriously saying he'd be better than Dann.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread