Mcfadzean (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Still our best defender... Discuss

SBT

Thought his days were numbered when Ostigard came in, but don't see how you could drop him at the moment.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Most experienced, best leader and organiser, surprisingly good range of passing on him (the long diagonal he’s pretty good at) but prone to the odd clanger.

I would say currently most influential defender, if not necessarily the best technically. His experience is massive this season.

Skybluedownunder

Most experienced, best leader and organiser, surprisingly good range of passing on him (the long diagonal he’s pretty good at) but prone to the odd clanger.

I would say currently most influential defender, if not necessarily the best technically. His experience is massive this season.

Yeah he sprayed it around pretty well yesterday. Strength in depth, it’s good we have 4 good centre backs because games will come thick and fast and so will injuries and suspensions so I’m happy we have depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbo

I was sceptical about whether he would survive at his age, but looked good against a (fairly unimaginative) Barnsley. Those passes around the back will see me in the cardiac unit

Skybluefaz

They've all got to play for their shirts at CB because Rose is a good player. Thought Østigard gave it away a bit too much yesterday, but he has that dominance in the air that nearly won it. With the way we play though the defence can't afford to gift possession as much as he did yesterday. Fadz was brilliant yesterday, if he carries on like that he'll not be the one to lose out.

Evo1883

I was sceptical about whether he would survive at his age, but looked good against a (fairly unimaginative) Barnsley. Those passes around the back will see me in the cardiac unit

I also think he was incredibly unlucky with that decision against QPR... Besides that he's looked very comfortable

Brighton Sky Blue

We will concede more from unforced errors than opposition brilliance this season for sure

AFCCOVENTRY

He’s stepped up this season and showing his worth so far. We need his experience with a relatively young back line.

no_loyalty

Difficult for Rose to get back in at the moment, as all of the current three CB’s are playing well.

Legia Sky Blue

I think we are blessed with good defenders who each bring something to the party and complement each other. I don't find it that easy to rank them in order. McFadzean certainly brings experience and leadership to the team as one of his strengths and will be the first defender named on the team sheet by MR, but until we play without him we can't know the effect it will have on the team, or whether in his absence one or all of the others might step into that role. I remember when we released Doyle, I thought it was premature given he had those same qualities, and I wasn't convinced Kelly would be able to provide that leadership in his place. I was wrong!!

rob9872

Worst player of the 4 centre halves imo, but the only one if his 'type'. Add his experience and leadership and he'd be one of the first names down. Any 2 from the other 3 and we're blessed to have them all or at least for our system. If we ever revert to 4 at the back, the main concern concern would be pace.

ccfc1234

Still our best defender... Discuss
In some respects yes but others a resounding no. He can look like he is bossing and marshalling the defence one min and the next can get caught on the ball (Bristol City, which they should have scored from) and worryingly give away a pen (QPR, which they did score from). Those errors don't define his worth and without them he would be first CB on the team sheet.

Evo1883

Worst player of the 4 centre halves imo, but the only one if his 'type'. Add his experience and leadership and he'd be one of the first names down. Any 2 from the other 3 and we're blessed to have them all or at least for our system. If we ever revert to 4 at the back, the main concern concern would be pace.
Have you changed your opinion on this , out of curiosity Rob

Jamesimus

Only thing Fadz hasn't got in his locker is pace. He has all the other attributes that make a good ball playing centre back. Hope he stays with us until he is 56.

rob9872

Have you changed your opinion on this , out of curiosity Rob
I think he's been outstanding, particularly recently and as I said in my original post he has to play as we don't have a ready made replacement of his ilk. At the moment he's there on merit regardless of who we might have - he reads the game well and certainly comfortable in a 3, even better coming away with the ball into the gaps in front of him, which took a while to click but doing it more often now, however I still wouldn't want him in a 2.

I also stand by one of my other posts on our CB situation which is how much better we are with JCS in at LCB, despite 2 clean sheets in 2 games without him. Rose and Hyam have both stepped up and I still think are good options for either to play the RCB role. Fadz is the old school, kick it or head it and get in where it hurts, but if I had the choice of him or Ostigard who isn't getting in the Stoke side at present, I'd take Ostigard, who I also think carries a greater threat in attack too.

We are where we are though and with our budget he'll do just fine for now.

Evo1883

I think he's been outstanding, particularly recently and as I said in my original post he has to play as we don't have a ready made replacement of his ilk. At the moment he's there on merit regardless of who we might have - he reads the game well and certainly comfortable in a 3, even better coming away with the ball into the gaps in front of him, which took a while to click but doing it more often now, however I still wouldn't want him in a 2.

I also stand by one of my other posts on our CB situation which is how much better we are with JCS in at LCB, despite 2 clean sheets in 2 games without him. Rose and Hyam have both stepped up and I still think are good options for either to play the RCB role. Fadz is the old school, kick it or head it and get in where it hurts, but if I had the choice of him or Ostigard who isn't getting in the Stoke side at present, I'd take Ostigard, who I also think carries a greater threat in attack too.

I agree about JCS , it's a nice balance

rob9872

As I've answered @Evo1883 out of interest, in a hypothetical world forgetting future values, if you had a straight choice between Fadz and Osti who would you select? Don't panic not trying to trip you up, genuinely interested.

*Edit: and why ...

skybluegod

Agree with most of this. Although I would say defensively we are poorer with JCS, but he adds a much needed balance to the side which enables the whole formation to work better.

Just to add Ostigard is back starting regularly for Stoke. And not sure I would have him in place of Fadz right now. He's a good player, but doesn't have some of the key attributes that fadz does in terms of his passing and leadership which is key to that back line. Would take him as an overall upgrade but would require a change in style of play if he was going to be the central CB.

rob9872

Fairy muff, cheers @Evo1883 . Not sure I go off just that, but certainly justifiable. I think the Osti we had at the end of last season was really starting to flourish and looked as though he still had more improvement in him. Also been a bit stop start with Stoke so perhaps not got into the rhythm fully yet. Be interesting to see how that continues to the end of the season, where do you get them from?

Evo1883

Fairy muff, cheers @Evo1883 . Not sure I go off just that, but certainly justifiable. I think the Osti we had at the end of last season was really starting to flourish and looked as though he still had more improvement in him. Also been a bit stop start with Stoke so perhaps not got into the rhythm fully yet. Be interesting to see how that continues to the end of the season, where do you get them from?
Sqwawka Comparison , there's alot of stats you can compare , these seemed the best fit for a defender

Evo1883

It's does appear that per 90 , mcfadzean is having a much stronger season overall than leo Screenshot_20211125-181120_Chrome.jpg

Evo1883

When compared against arguibly one of the best centre halves in the division , who Is also playing into their mid 30s ... he comes off very well Screenshot_20211125-181552_Chrome.jpg

slowpoke

He’s been excellent what was known years ago as a footballing centre half, I wasn’t sure if his age would be against him what do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread