Maurice Setters R.I.P (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Setters was one of the great hard men of the 60s game. Came with a big reputation via Man Utd and Stoke and was instrumental in our relegation battle. Didn’t look like a footballer, with his bow legs, but certainly put himself on the line keeping us in Div1. RIP Maurice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbo

He kept us in the first tier almost single handed that first season. We owe him a huge debt. George Curtis had a serious injury in the second game of the season and the replacement brought in by Jimmy Hill, Tony Knapp was well past his best (if he ever had one). Noel Cantwell brought in Setters - an inspired move.

In particular we needed two draws away from home from the last two games. They were aginst two good teams, Newcastle and Southampton, both of whom had well known, strong centre forwards - Wyn Davies and Ron Davies. Setters did the business on both of them, we got two 0-0 draws and stayed up.

RedSalmon

My late father always loved Maurice Setters. Often told a story about how MS scored the only goal at Highfield Road when the City played Man U in our first season in Div 1. From a corner MS ran from distance out jumped everyone and planted a header in the far corner. He then ran round the pitch laughing his bollocks off!!!

RIP Maurice, a sad loss.

Magwitch

My late father always loved Maurice Setters. Often told a story about how MS scored the only goal at Highfield Road when the City played Man U in our first season in Div 1. From a corner MS ran from distance out jumped everyone and planted a header in the far corner. He then ran round the pitch laughing his bollocks off!!!

RIP Maurice, a sad loss.
We beat United 2-0 that day Ernie Machin got the other goal.

Paxman II

YES i remeber Maurice Setters. A solid chunk of a man, not that tall btw. A hard man centre halve. He ran around like a rocking horse with those very bowed legs! Tough as nails, but a great leader by example. Served us well in his time. RIP fella and thank you.

Gibbo

RIP Maurice, a sad loss.
It was 2-0. Machin got the other. Man Utd were shagged out after a long trip back from Poland, but who cares

The Great Eastern

What he lacked in skill, he more than made up for in Nobby Stiles type marking and aggression. Every team had one like him in the 60s. Yes, those bowed legs were quite unlike the legs of any other footballer !
RIP Maurice

Magwitch

Old Setters knocked the United star studded forward line of Best, Law and Charlton from pillar to post another thing that day was the league debuts of Ernie Hunt and Chris Cattlin another hard bastard.

Ccfcfollower

I remember Ian Gibson nutmeging him in the pre match kick around. Crowd thought it hilarious seeing that ball whipped through his bowed legs. If Maurice could have caught Gibbo he’d have killed him. Great servants to our club.

bringbackrattles

Anyone of the 7000 who traveled to Southampton on the last day of the 67/68 season to see us stay up will remember the Ron Davies/Setters battle. It was brutal but effective 0-0, could have been very different if it wasn’t for Setters who stood his ground against one of the best centre forwards of the day. RIP Maurice.
I went to that game recall a very long coach trip. Didn't think much of the Dell but we got the point needed. Setters stood solid all game, as he normally did.

steve cooper

Can anyone remember the game when he tried to pass back to the keeper, the ball stuck in a puddle, we conceded, and lost the game IIRC. He looked devastated.

Magwitch

Can anyone remember the game when he tried to pass back to the keeper, the ball stuck in a puddle, we conceded, and lost the game IIRC. He looked devastated.
Yes: That was v Chelsea in the league cup on a rain sodden HR pitch we absolutely battered them but poor old Setters attempted to pass back to goalkeeper Glazier on the ball stuck in a puddle and I think it was Peter Osgood ran through scored and they nicked the game 1-0

The Great Eastern

Yes: That was v Chelsea in the league cup on a rain sodden HR pitch we absolutely battered them but poor old Setters attempted to pass back to goalkeeper Glazier on the ball stuck in a puddle and I think it was Peter Osgood ran through scored and they nicked the game 1-0
Yup. I was at that game too. It happened exactly as you described it Magwitch. A game we could easily have won but got done by the ball sticking on the sodden surface.

steve cooper

It's amazing how much playing surfaces have improved since those days. Even the biggest grounds could be like a ploughed field mid-winter.

Magwitch

Ours was always not too bad but the likes of Derby and Villa were awful from early season deliberately by their managers Brian Clough and Ron Saunders and both clubs did well especially at home.

bringbackrattles

It felt like city fans were in the millions walking through Southampton after the game.
I was only 15 at the time but recall going down there on my own. Yes when the coaches finally arrived all I could see were our fans everywhere, took the place over. Looking back I liked to visit away grounds, must have seemed like an adventure !

Magwitch

The Dell was one of the strangest looking grounds around with those tiered terraces behind the goals, City fans were everywhere that day took over all the boozers looking back I’d say it was a good bit more than 7000. This was also the early days of hooliganism but at the end thankfully every one was happy and a lot of Saints fans joined in our celebrations.

bringbackrattles

The Dell was one of the strangest looking grounds around with those tiered terraces behind the goals, City fans were everywhere that day took over all the boozers looking back I’d say it was a good bit more than 7000. This was also the early days of hooliganism but at the end thankfully every one was happy and a lot of Saints fans joined in our celebrations.
I agree the Dell was a weird stadium. I'd never been there before and got a bit of a shock when we got inside. It was around the time Southampton hooligans gained notoriety for ambushing Forest fans in the coach park after a game. But we had so many fans there that day,they must have decided best not to bother us !

Irish Sky Blue

Don’t want to be pernickety (but I am going to be). I think the Chelsea game was a league match. I remember standing at the West End but must have been near the front as we were absolutely drenched that night. As you say, we absolutely battered Chelsea but couldn’t score.

steve cooper

Don’t want to be pernickety (but I am going to be). I think the Chelsea game was a league match. I remember standing at the West End but must have been near the front as we were absolutely drenched that night. As you say, we absolutely battered Chelsea but couldn’t score.
I thought it was a league game as well, couldn't remember even who we were playing, but I thought I remembered being disappointed at dropping points. I was stood by the half way line at pitch level opposite the main stand and saw it very clearly. I only remember where I stood because I always stood there.

Johhny Blue

I was only 15 at the time but recall going down there on my own. Yes when the coaches finally arrived all I could see were our fans everywhere, took the place over. Looking back I liked to visit away grounds, must have seemed like an adventure
I was 14 and went on my own as well. I had family in Southampton that were friends of Mick Channon. Met him that weekend. A great bloke who seemed happy for me that we stayed up.

bringbackrattles

I was 14 and went on my own as well. I had family in Southampton that were friends of Mick Channon. Met him that weekend. A great bloke who seemed happy for me that we stayed up.
I remember I was only about 15/16 and decided I'd go and watch us play at Craven Cottage v Fulham, spur of the moment. Think it was a draw and enjoyed my day out. Came back home in the evening and was asked by my mum and dad where I'd been ? When I told them my dad didn't believe me till I gave him the match programme. Shows how back then you could just hop on a train or coach, pay on the turnstile, and no fuss or bother like it is these days.

Users who are viewing this thread