Matt Godden (1 Viewer)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

IF we could keep him fit (hard job I know)all Season that would be worth one hell of a lot of points to us. If he had played in every game last season at the rate he scored when he played he have had 31.I think his best position is playing ahead of the attacking midfielders but behind Vic who i really hope he stays).

skyblu3sk

I don't see them as a partnership they always seem to be in competition rather than playing for each other too.

SAJ

Just not convinced him and Vik make a great partnership despite both being great goalscorers.

Id like a third option with pace for when we need it, it’s the one glaring hole in Goddens game.
I really don’t think I would describe Viktor as a great goal scorer. His conversion rate was only just over half of Goddens and despite him scoring so many goals only just made the top 20 in the league for goals from shots.

stupot07

I dont see them as a partnership either. Gyokeres thrives in being the one that runs in behind with and without the ball. He looked better with the box or Waghorn playing behind him, meaning he has space and channels both sides to run into and exploit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Godden does play some decent balls into the box from out wide - pretty sure Gyok has got on the end of one or two when they've played together.

Hertsccfc

I thought Godden and Gyokeres played really well together, especially in big matches like Fulham and Sheffield United. They are an excellent combination. This thing about them not working together all came from when Gyokeres stopped scoring after the Blackburn injury. Definitely our best front two.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

When Vic plays with Matt he mostly want to play wide and cut in and Matt plays more central 1 criticism when they play together is Vic is slightly to greedy and doesn't use Matt enough.I also think Matt links up well with COH and Gus very well.By the way shmmeee i also think 18 is great goalscoring.

SAJ

At the end of the day, he scored 18 goals. That’s a great goalscorer if you ask me, even if he could’ve had 30.
So what words do you use to describe Mitrovic at 43 league goals or come to that the 7 players who scored more goals that Gyokeres. Given this is the second tier of English football great as far too high an accolade. Good or even possibly very good but certainly not great.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

So what words do you use to describe Mitrovic at 43 league goals or come to that the 7 players who scored more goals that Gyokeres. Given this is the second tier of English football great as far too high an accolade. Good or even possibly very good but certainly not great.
18 goals in a mid table team seems like a great goalscorer to me mate

PUSB-We_are_going_up

The team overall had 60 goals scored in the league, Gyökeres scored 17 of them goals. Godden scored 12 thats 1 goal under half, that shows that we have 2 good goal scorers, we dont need to debate who is better as they are completely different typed of players yes we may debate who would start and who kffers more to the team but its impossible to tell who is actually better due to the massive difference in style of play

shmmeee

This is spectacularly pedantic even for this place. At this level both are <<superlative>> goalscorers.

stupot07

Championship Top Scorers
2001/02 Hughes 15
2002/03 Bothroyd 8
2003/04 McSheffrey 12
2004/05 McSheffrey 14
2005/06 Mcsheffrey 15
2006/07 Adebola 8
2007/08 Mifsud 10
2008/09 Morison 10
2009/10 Morison 12
2010/11 King 13
2011/12 Jutkiewicz 9
2020/21 Walker 7
2021/22 Gyokeres 17

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Championship Top Scorers
2001/02 Hughes 15
2002/03 Bothroyd 8
2003/04 McSheffrey 12
2004/05 McSheffrey 14
2005/06 Mcsheffrey 15
2006/07 Adebola 8
2007/08 Mifsud 10
2008/09 Morison 10
2009/10 Morison 12
2010/11 King 13
2011/12 Jutkiewicz 9
2020/21 Walker 7
2021/22 Gyokeres 17

Both of en would be top scorer in most of these seasons

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I have tried writing it several times and disagree with myself when writing it so I don't really know how to articulate my point properly. This will probably sound harsher than I want it to. I love Godden. I back him to score most half chances he gets at Championship level, he's a proper finisher. His all round game isn't good enough for Championship. If he's not scoring, he doesn't offer much. I certainly want him in the squad, but he would be my 'second' choice rather than my go to striker. Vik's finishing isn't at the same level but his all round play is so good. We lost 1-0 at the Riverside and he was comfortably the best player on the pitch as an example (probably why they want him so much). I guess to summarize, I think Godden will always have an impact in terms of goal contribution, but I am not sure we would have finished much better off with him fully fit as I feel overall performances (not always!!!) aren't as strong with him in the 11.

Tile Hill Phil

Just not convinced him and Vik make a great partnership despite both being great goalscorers.

Id like a third option with pace for when we need it, it’s the one glaring hole in Goddens game.
Yeah I’d agree with that they didn’t seem to click when they played together

SlowerThanPlatt

Championship Top Scorers
2001/02 Hughes 15
2002/03 Bothroyd 8
2003/04 McSheffrey 12
2004/05 McSheffrey 14
2005/06 Mcsheffrey 15
2006/07 Adebola 8
2007/08 Mifsud 10
2008/09 Morison 10
2009/10 Morison 12
2010/11 King 13
2011/12 Jutkiewicz 9
2020/21 Walker 7
2021/22 Gyokeres 17

Impressive from McSheffrey double figures for three seasons

NorthernWisdom

I have tried writing it several times and disagree with myself when writing it so I don't really know how to articulate my point properly. This will probably sound harsher than I want it to. I love Godden. I back him to score most half chances he gets at Championship level, he's a proper finisher. His all round game isn't good enough for Championship. If he's not scoring, he doesn't offer much. I certainly want him in the squad, but he would be my 'second' choice rather than my go to striker. Vik's finishing isn't at the same level but his all round play is so good. We lost 1-0 at the Riverside and he was comfortably the best player on the pitch as an example (probably why they want him so much). I guess to summarize, I think Godden will always have an impact in terms of goal contribution, but I am not sure we would have finished much better off with him fully fit as I feel overall performances (not always!!!) aren't as strong with him in the 11.
Your whole thing also shows why there's a place for Godden however. Played really well - lost 1-0.

fatso

I really don’t think I would describe Viktor as a great goal scorer. His conversion rate was only just over half of Goddens and despite him scoring so many goals only just made the top 20 in the league for goals from shots.
Fuck me, some people are unbelievable,
I was about to argue your rediculous post, but what's the point? Your clearly way past any reasoning.

Sick Boy

Indeed and the last 2 seasons be played left wing. Think he got something like 17 assists too in that 2005/06 season. 15 goals 17 assists, that's some return for a winger /attacking midfielder.

Unlike Godden he was a master at winning penalties - for half of them I remember being amazed from my view in the WT that he didn’t get booked and got a penalty instead.

fatso

Championship Top Scorers
2001/02 Hughes 15
2002/03 Bothroyd 8
2003/04 McSheffrey 12
2004/05 McSheffrey 14
2005/06 Mcsheffrey 15
2006/07 Adebola 8
2007/08 Mifsud 10
2008/09 Morison 10
2009/10 Morison 12
2010/11 King 13
2011/12 Jutkiewicz 9
2020/21 Walker 7
2021/22 Gyokeres 17

Wow, that says it all.

And when you factor in that Gyokeres wasn't our first choice striker, and it's his first full season in the championship, and he played as a loan striker for much of it, that's some bloody achievement.

Esoterica

Wow, that says it all.

And when you factor in that Gyokeres wasn't our first choice striker, and it's his first full season in the championship, and he played as a loan striker for much of it, that's some bloody achievement.

giphy.gif

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Your whole thing also shows why there's a place for Godden however. Played really well - lost 1-0.
I agree. As I said, struggled with how to really get my point across. The game could have been a 1-1 draw or better but we (on the face of it) played worse. I am not trying to write Godden off by any stretch, I just think we 'play' better with the box and Gyok up top on his own.

Sick Boy

I like Godden but if we’re serious about progression he’d be a squad player/impact sub. How many other clubs who are serious about promotion would have him as a first choice?

fatso

I like Godden but if we’re serious about progression he’d be a squad player/impact sub. How many other clubs who are serious about promotion would have him as a first choice?
Every time we bring someone in, Goden manages to look better than them.
(Waghorn and Walker to name just 2)

steve cooper

I think most people would agree goals scored (by anyone who can kick or head a ball) is directly related to the number of chances created. What varies is their conversion rate.
The infinite monkey theorem.

Users who are viewing this thread