Matchday #13 Coventry v Barnsley (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Coventry City v Barnsley - Ricoh Arena
K.O Saturday, 23rd October 3:00pm
Referee: Tony Bates from Staffordshire

Coventry

Striker Freddy Eastwood is still not ready to return to competitive football following an operation, but he has returned to training. Full back Chris Hussey will also miss out as he is not fit enough to return yet but James McPake is available.

Saturday sees the 51st league and cup match between Coventry City and Barsnley.

City have won 24 games and drawn 15. They have scored 87 goals compared to Barnsley's. 63.

Barnsley

Barnsley have not won a game at Coventry since a 2-3 win in 1923.
Barnsley will definitely be without defender Jay McEvelely who underwent an operation last week in a bid to repair a medial knee ligament injury. His place will most likely be taken by the emergency loan signing from Wolves Matt Hill.

My Predictions

Team Prediction

K.Westwood
Keogh Turner Wood Cranie
Gunnarson Carsley(C) Clingan McSheffrey
Jutkiewicz Platt

Score 3-1 ( McSheffrey, Jutkiewicz, Gunnarsson )​

Attendance: 15,319​

Any match day discussion, Predictions please post here

Last edited:

covlad1986

Afternoon lalala love your match day threads my prediction would be King in place of Juke to give him most of the match to see if he can do anything and i would say 3-2 City with King scoring two and Macca scoring the other one.

Hullinho87

Hello all,

although the Cardiff result was hard to take in the circumstances of the late goal, iffy decisions etc. in the context of the season, it was just a result you write off and move on - however, it has upped the stakes tomorrow slightly. We really need 3 points and keep hanging on the coat tails of the top 6. Personally, I think a defeat will make for a frustrating period of reflection heading into the Sheff utd game .....

..... a win however, and we'll all be feeling like a reasonable amount of consistency, progress and hard to beatness (is that even a word) is developing.

Hullinho87

C La,

I would say the same team as you although like CovLad, I could see him tempted to play King ahead of the Juke or 3 up front??? He couldn't possibly, could he, ha!

and 2 v 0 City - Plattini with a headed brace!

Coventry La La La

C La,

I would say the same team as you although like CovLad, I could see him tempted to play King ahead of the Juke or 3 up front??? He couldn't possibly, could he, ha!

and 2 v 0 City - Plattini with a headed brace!

I found it hard to pick out of Lukas.J and Plattini for the goal... but I have a feeling we will get a penalty tommorow and Lukas.J will score it Barnsley haven't won at Coventry since 1923 hopefully we can keep that record after Saturday. :p

smileycov

Facebook User
artnoon all!! i feel the only change is King to start, possibly in place of Plattini (though maybe duke haha) !!

4 - 0 with King getting off the mark, sheffers, duke pen and turner.
Never felt so confident in our manager since Roland Nilsson!!!! :D

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
smileycov i think I've ditto'd your CCFC score prediction for the past few games now, I've been saying 4-0 as well for this 1... Great minds think alike obviously as we're top of the prediction league :p

AB was in the telegraph today saying that he might be tempted to put King in the starting 11 and rest one of the other strikers, tough call to make though!

4-0 Keogh, Sheffers, King, Gunnarsson

We are well overdue a result like this and with our recent performances someone is definately going to get a good hiding from us soon!

6 Generations

Don't you just hate it when you are informed that our next oponents haven't won on our ground since 1923!!! Barnsley have started well this year, compered to recent seasons and are a different prospect under Mark Robins, who seems motivated, like our Aidy. A victory for The Sky Blues tomorrow is by no means a forgone conclusion. Don't get me wrong, i would love a convincing 3 points but i suspect we will have to work extremely hard to get them. I thought Marlon looked less than sharp on his introduction against Cheating, Lucky Cardiff!!
I hope that this was due to lack of match fitness, as he appeared totally off the pace. Maybe he needs a start now. I think that Aidy may consider pairing him with The Juke, and give Plattini a rest, but you just cannot second guess Aidy, as he just as likely to Roy O'Donovan!!! I doubt it, but you know what i mean!!

PUSB

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Don't you just hate it when you are informed that our next oponents haven't won on our ground since 1923!!! Barnsley have started well this year, compered to recent seasons and are a different prospect under Mark Robins, who seems motivated, like our Aidy. A victory for The Sky Blues tomorrow is by no means a forgone conclusion. Don't get me wrong, i would love a convincing 3 points but i suspect we will have to work extremely hard to get them. I thought Marlon looked less than sharp on his introduction against Cheating, Lucky Cardiff!!
I hope that this was due to lack of match fitness, as he appeared totally off the pace. Maybe he needs a start now. I think that Aidy may consider pairing him with The Juke, and give Plattini a rest, but you just cannot second guess Aidy, as he just as likely to Roy O'Donovan!!! I doubt it, but you know what i mean!!

PUSB

To be fair we've been hearing about our good record against Barnsley for the past few seasons and we've been fine. Aslong as the boys are as fired up for this game as they have been against tougher opponents we will be fine (unless we are stupidly unlucky like against Preston).

covgal1985

I think it will be 2 1 to us although I think Aidy will put King on in place of Platt to give him a run out hopefully he will be up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

covlad1986

hiya Sarah i dont think he will drop Platt because he wins most of the headers but Juke doesn't win that much or like you say put all three up there for 4-3-3 but the thing is with that i dont think we will have any forwards on the bench

covgal1985

Yeah your probably right Andrew I would play Platt and King up front

Last edited by a moderator:

Pigeon

Id like to see Juke and King together. 3-0 to us . Duke (hopefully his first in open play) with Gunner and King putting the other two away. I still would like to see Doyle back in the game and Baker given more time on the field as he looked ready to come on during the last match and didn't get on in the end. A promising game in the week, got a good feeling at the moment about us just wish we could do something about attendances to get a buzz going around the Ricoh for these cold winter games!

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I for one was quite amused by that fact... normally it is us that hasnt won for years (i.e. ipswich).. I'd like to know how many of those were draws though lol.
Barnsley i reckon..... 2-0 to the mighty COV !

SkyBlueKay

Facebook User
I'm gonna go 2-1 with King & Gunnar to score! (here's hoping!)

My voice has just about recovered from Tuesday which is surprising 'cause I'm ill!

covlad1986

Evening all today game was mostly one sided to be honest but there was bits where it was boring, Macca's goal was a carbon copy of what he scored again Cardiff Bakers first pro goal seemed to go in in slow motion lol and well what can you say about Clarkes goal BRILLIANT what a strike as soon as it left his foot there was only one place it was going. over all a good game and another 3 points from Barnsley

Coventry La La La

6th in the table :D:D:D:D

E I E I E I O UP THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE WE GO WHEN WE GET PROMOTED THIS IS WHAT WE SING WE ARE CITY, WE ARE CITY AIDY IS ARE KING!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Well even if we lose our next 7 games we will still have 2 more points then at that point last season so it's all good at the moment! We are actually in the top 6, how exciting :D I watched the Donny v Sheff Utd game on tele when I got home and Sheff Utd don't look at their best at all, they lacked cutting edge up front, were out of ideas and the players looked pretty fed up to be honest. I think the way we are playing at the moment and the team being full of confidence we are capable of at least getting a point from them at Brammall Lane next week! If we win then we can start to properly wedge ourselves in with the elite of this league instead of hanging in and around 6th... but as they say nothing is won at this time of the season, if we are still around the top 6 in 2011 then we can start getting excited me thinks.

Anyway, onto the Barnsley game although we won 3-0 I think we really need to put our chances away more when we are dominating so much! With the score being 1-0 for so long there was always the chance Barnsley could have pulled it back and they gave us some warning signs, there were a few scarey moments! According to the stats on BBC we had 6 shots on target and 17 off target! Overall solid performance, dominated most of the game and I think if Barnsley would have got anything out of the game then it would have been just cruel! But when we were dominating so much and only winning by a slender lead you only have to think back to the Preston game which highlights the need to put chances away when you dominate.

Onto the players, Westwood didn't have loads to do but certainly made some great saves when called upon. I think Keogh was f*cking fantastic! Never stops working, what a great buy and a great spot by AB. I think the right side is really strong, Keogh and Gunnarsson work very well down that side. McSheffrey looks like his old self, full of confidence after netting a few goals now great finish by him and also showed great skill and awareness in points of the game that I think we have lacked since... well probably since he left 4 years ago really! Carsley showed his experience and made important blocks and interceptions throughout the game and broke up most of Barnsley's attacks, Clingan was Clingan spraying the ball around well as he always does. I think Platt and Jutkiewicz worked hard upfront but just lacked that final finishing touch and towards the end looked a bit like they had probably played too much football in the last week which is where we probably needed King, anyone know where he was by the way?! Good to see Baker and Clarke score their first goals for the club, and I've gotta say when Clarke came on I was saying why are we bringing him on? (thinking back to the Leicester game where he was pushed off the ball too easily) but great finish by him so credit where it's due and I ate some humble pie for tea last night when I got home. In a nut shell everyone did their jobs and earned their pay this week, but I might be arrogant and say we could have steam rolled them 5 or 6 nil - that would have gave out a bit of a message to teams that we mean business this season :p

Over and out.

Pigeon

Im so gutted I couldn't make it to the game yesterday, what a fantastic win for our boys. What was the attendance like anyone? Top Six Aidy Boothroyd = City Hero!

Users who are viewing this thread