Massey Feguson Tower demolition (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

In the next couple of hours.

Sad for people living in this area of the city as it's been part of the skyline for so many years!

CovKingChris

Facebook User
There's two things I've always been able to see from my bedroom window. The Poachers retreat pub and the Massey Ferguson tower. They demolished the pub at the start of this year and now the tower :(

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Kinda sad but times move on. I won't recognise Cov when I come back to visit! I used to be able to see the tower block from my area in Tile Hill. Ah well. That's progress. I can think of a lot worse places in Cov to demolish!

Disorganised1

Bloody awful place to work in, I was glad I wasn't based in it every time I went in there for meetings.

ajsccfc

I remember going up that tower on a school trip. I remember it seeming like a huge building on a vast site that took ages to get to, but then I had the same feeling about sports day when it seemed to take an age to get to Warwick Uni. The world does seem smaller as you get older, shame.

Marty

I remember going up that tower on a school trip. I remember it seeming like a huge building on a vast site that took ages to get to, but then I had the same feeling about sports day when it seemed to take an age to get to Warwick Uni. The world does seem smaller as you get older, shame.

Had the same tour as a lad, We had a tour of the factory too but I remember it being very eerie, It was just after they made everyone redundant.

ajsccfc

I only really remember going round the site and up in the tower, this would have been 1993 probably. When were the redundancies?

ajsccfc

Ah ok, must have been relatively thriving when I was there. I'd forgot all about it until accidentally driving past the tower a few months back and thinking 'have I been here before?' and then checking. I had no idea it was so close until then!

Marty

It's pritty sad really. A profitable factory that provided a decent standard of living for thousands of it workers is closed to save an extra few quid. Now replaced by a poxy housing estate.

wingy

Sad indeed Marty was a massive employer up to the seventies ,then production started in Poland and it was downhill from there ,along with Matrix tools ,The redundancies started aound mid seventies, my old fella went around that time .

Marty

I didn't realise that the redundancies started that early. My old man worked up there for about 8-9 years until they closed. I remember when he started working there. It paid for a new car and our first foreign holiday. He got a nice pay off and walked straight into another job but i'm sure thousands have struggled to fine jobs. It'll be the same for the Peugeot & Jaguar workers too.

wingy

I didn't realise that the redundancies started that early. My old man worked up there for about 8-9 years until they closed. I remember when he started working there. It paid for a new car and our first foreign holiday. He got a nice pay off and walked straight into another job but i'm sure thousands have struggled to fine jobs. It'll be the same for the Peugeot & Jaguar workers too.

Think at that point in the seventies they reduced the model range produced there followed by no models produced there ,which left gearbox and engines which is probably what your old fella was involved in.

pusbccfc

I heard of a bloke that helped with the job of stripping it out that even up to last month the inside looked very modern still!.would love to have seen!

skyblu3sk

Would have loved to have gone up there a week or so before they demolished it shame they didn't give us the chance.

kepit 2 yusen

It was a fecking eye sore. Should have been blown up years ago when factory closed. Pity they didn't put the Sisu desks in there with the Sisu mafia before they pressed the button ! Best Sunday morning entertainment for ages. Anyone know where I can get a banger like that for November 5th lol

Macca

Get a little sad when I see another landmark I ve grown up with disappear, must be my age! The old skyline has changed over the last 20 years

Sad indeed Marty was a massive employer up to the seventies ,then production started in Poland and it was downhill from there ,along with Matrix tools ,The redundancies started aound mid seventies, my old fella went around that time .

Matrix are still running in a fashion matrix lasers http://www.matrixlasers.com. It's run by Paul Henderson who was one of the top bods for Matrix Tools and was also a spy for the government as his work took him abroad on many occasions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...--paul-henderson-bloomsbury-1699-1508406.html

Tad

As great as its history was, it needed to go. It wasn't a particularly nice building to look out. Now all we need to do is get rid of all the council flats that plague the city. Preferably, with the free loading scum inside.

wingy

Matrix are still running in a fashion matrix lasers http://www.matrixlasers.com. It's run by Paul Henderson who was one of the top bods for Matrix Tools and was also a spy for the government as his work took him abroad on many occasions.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...--paul-henderson-bloomsbury-1699-1508406.html

Thanks Rich ,nice bloke as i recall ,used to deliver his milk as a kid . He lived just off cromwell lane ,got hung out by the yanks if memories correct.

Thanks Rich ,nice bloke as i recall ,used to deliver his milk as a kid . He lived just off cromwell lane ,got hung out by the yanks if memories correct.

Top bloke, I worked for him for a few years. Got hung out to dry by our government not the yanks. His book is well worth a read.

Users who are viewing this thread