Mason Greenwood (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I suppose the real moral question would be if he was signed would you still go (I know he’s not)

Paxman II

Did we not condem Ched Evans the same way prviously? He eventually proved his innocence. His job is a professional footballer. If it happened to you would it be kind to say you were blacklisted from ever having a job again? At some point he will kick a ball again and be a reformed character, and no doubt as a young man live to regret his actions that already have cost him dearly.
As a player he would be a great addition for us. BUT, would that be a disruption to our club and the squad? Personally I would give it a pass, though there will be clubs extending a contract in his direction I have no doubt.

Tomh111

Did we not condem Ched Evans the same way prviously? He eventually proved his innocence. His job is a professional footballer. If it happened to you would it be kind to say you were blacklisted from ever having a job again? At some point he will kick a ball again and be a reformed character, and no doubt as a young man live to regret his actions that already have cost him dearly.
As a player he would be a great addition for us. BUT, would that be a disruption to our club and the squad? Personally I would give it a pass, though there will be clubs extending a contract in his direction I have no doubt.
Ched Evans can get fucked as well.

He turned up a hotel, lied to get a room card, slept with a girl and left. Never speaking to her.

The retrial was allowed to bring up new witnesses who had consensual sex with her, who said she acted in a similar manner to what Evans described. That was the evidence on which it was over turned.

His girlfriend had offered out enducement to a witness/man to testify and the CPS said that they felt the witnesses had been fed information by Evans legal team.

He can get in the sea, with Goodwillie, Greenwood, Mendy et al

Hobo

Picking up on some Talksport comments:

"Right to rehabilitation?" Well my take is yes he does but his bad behaviour wasn't on a football pitch. So his need to rehabilitate does not involve being on a football pitch. His behaviour off the pitch is what he needs to work at.

"Right to work" ? Again yes, but not necessarily as a high profile footballer earning enormous wages. He was in a privileged position, a role model; sorry but he had the chance and blew it.

Just my take.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Greenwood to leave Man Utd after abuse allegations

Obviously, nobody condones his behaviour, but - given criminal charges were dropped etc - surely a short-term deal for Greenwood would be worth considering for any team at our level?

Would you relinquish the moral high ground to get him in? Or do we think it would undermine the team spirit and moral standards of the club?
The criminal courts are not the sole arbiter of moral standards, the bloke is an utter wrong un

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Greenwood to leave Man Utd after abuse allegations

Obviously, nobody condones his behaviour, but - given criminal charges were dropped etc - surely a short-term deal for Greenwood would be worth considering for any team at our level?

Would you relinquish the moral high ground to get him in? Or do we think it would undermine the team spirit and moral standards of the club?
You have broken the record for the most shits received on a single post in SBT history. Congratulations

Otis

No thanks. What sort of example would a football club be setting by employing him?

Careers over in the UK.
I think so too. I don't think any club's fans would accept it. Or at least there would be enough vocal opposition, it would prevent it from happening.

It will have to be abroad I think.

You have broken the record for the most shits received on a single post in SBT history. Congratulations
I feel I probably need to point out I was being consciously provocative with this thread, rather than stating a personal opinion on this…

He would be an incredible player at this level but, clearly, any club would need to abandon its moral standards - and based on the reaction here, it would, clearly, be unacceptable to our fanbase (and many other clubs’ I would assume).

Given Ferguson allegedly considered him the best talent of his generation; it’s a shame that his off-field behaviour has undermined what originally looked like a promising career.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Saudi is probably a good bet…but let’s not rule out Sunderland just yet ;)

hamertime

To be honest, I never heard anything about that. First time I ever heard mention of it was when someone on here alluded to it. And I have to say, I was shocked.
Probably because he was a Real Madrid player, Spanish and white. I’m sure it would have been different if he was foreign of a different race. I’m not condoning what Greenwood has done but I believe he gets a rawer deal because he’s mixed race, young and from a working class background with lots of money, Look at the abuse sterling used to get and saka at the euros. It’s wrong. Terry shagged his team mates mrs, giggs shagged half of Manchester and his brothers wife with lots of reported physical abuse too but it gets swept under the carpet. People jump on a bandwagon bud don’t look at the wider picture.

Astute

No way.

Even if you are going to ignore what he has done it wouldn't be good for team spirit. Our female supporters would be rightly angry. And all the good reporting about us would suddenly change to being about 1 player.

His best bet is going abroad where the not guilty of anything would be believed.

I also hope he never plays for England.

skyblueelephant76

Probably because he was a Real Madrid player, Spanish and white. I’m sure it would have been different if he was foreign of a different race. I’m not condoning what Greenwood has done but I believe he gets a rawer deal because he’s mixed race, young and from a working class background with lots of money, Look at the abuse sterling used to get and saka at the euros. It’s wrong. Terry shagged his team mates mrs, giggs shagged half of Manchester and his brothers wife with lots of reported physical abuse too but it gets swept under the carpet. People jump on a bandwagon bud don’t look at the wider picture.
Patrick Kluivert was found guilty of death by dangerous driving when he was 19 and it never affected his career. Skin colour isn't an issue here and Greenwood hasn't had a raw deal.

JimmyHillsbeard

I regret us signing King looking back tbh

I hated it at the time, and I stopped going to home games. In fact I only went to two away games that season and he didn’t play in either so I can honestly say I never watched him play for us.

There’s a part of me that wonders if the relationship w the council wasn’t finally wrecked by the signing of King. Cllr (as she was then) Ann Lucas was v vocal about it and the club ridiculed her saying they hadn’t noticed she was a fan anyway. By the time she became council leader the owners and the council were at loggerheads.

I suspect Northampton, Wasps and the toxic behaviour of the council to the club would have happened anyway but it didn’t help.

And King made the club look like mugs by disappearing after a year to the first club to offer him a few more coins.

alexccfc99

I hated it at the time, and I stopped going to home games. In fact I only went to two away games that season and he didn’t play in either so I can honestly say I never watched him play for us.

There’s a part of me that wonders if the relationship w the council wasn’t finally wrecked by the signing of King. Cllr (as she was then) Ann Lucas was v vocal about it and the club ridiculed her saying they hadn’t noticed she was a fan anyway. By the time she became council leader the owners and the council were at loggerheads.

I suspect Northampton, Wasps and the toxic behaviour of the council to the club would have happened anyway but it didn’t help.

And King made the club look like mugs by disappearing after a year to the first club to offer him a few more coins.
I was 10 at the time, I didn’t really understand the gravity of the situation but I do think it’s part of the reason Lucas had her gripe

Looking back we didn’t cover ourselves in glory, specially with a few chants from fans - I think had we attempted that signing 7-8 years later it’d have been a PR disaster and we’d have backtracked, even though it’s only 13 years ago things have still changed quite a lot

I remember a CCFC podcast inviting him on and getting slaughtered for it

Users who are viewing this thread