Mars helping to end racism (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

By removing the name uncle Ben's and replacing it with Ben's original.

Do black people actually ask for this? Or is it another case of rich out of touch white CEOs pushing through such ineffective token gestures.

All they've done is remove a well known black face from a popular brand of rice.
I've never looked at uncle Ben's rice and thought anything other than "expensive brand of packet rice"

Many black people on twatter saying this isn't the type of action they've been asking for.

We are in for much more of this tedious bollocks for many years yet
giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I opened this wondering if we were sending the racists on a rocket into outer space. But I guess they'd be up in arms about being sent to the Red Planet. It'd have to be the White Planet.

Evo1883

One would argue that Mars ( a republican backing company) have removed the picture of a black man to get more sales, from the racists who refuse to buy it 🤷

Mars are racist 😜

Evo1883

Nobody has asked for it, it's a load of nonsense but do we need a thread every time. Fucking boring.

Well unless somebody is about to open a thread about swinging in off topic then it's either brexit, coronovirus or racism in off topic these days... Mostly the former 2

Evo1883

Point taken, from now on if I see things like this in future, il just eye roll, giggle and carry on watching football... I could have just thrown this isn one of the other 456 threads on racism tbh

skybluetony176

Actually, nobody is angry about this... Most people are laughing at its insanity... Including black people
People on social media are labelling a huge multinational company that is the epitome of capitalism a communist organisation.

You might not be angry about it changing, black people might not be celebrating the change but make no mistake, people are getting angry at rice.

I actually considered raising this subject myself, although on an already established thread but as Hill has said it is a load of nonsense and we certainly don’t need a thread every time someone changes the name of something.

Otis

Reading into it though, I understand that black people were often called uncle or auntie rather than Mr or Mrs, so it showed a lack of respect. So, dropping the "uncle" part sounds an entirely rational thing to do

I do get it, but have no idea why these things have to keep appearing as major news stories.

NorthernWisdom

Reading into it though, I understand that black people were often called uncle or auntie rather than Mr or Mrs, so it showed a lack of respect. So, dropping the "uncle" part sounds an entirely rational thing to do

I do get it, but have no idea why these things have to keep appearing as major news stories.
Yeah, it's always had echoes of Uncle Tom

Otis

Yeah, it's always had echoes of Uncle Tom

Yes, so it makes perfect sense. Not one to get at all annoyed over and can't be just dismissed as just a joke.

Not a major talking point though and shouldn't be conjuring up headlines.

Otis

But "uncle" used for a black person was used in an entirely different context. Used as a term because black People weren't seemed to be prominent enough in society to be called Mister.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I hope Aunt Bessie's will also be dropped. Misogynistic view of women whose place is in he kitchen ;)

Last edited:

clint van damme

But "uncle" used for a black person was used in an entirely different context. Used as a term because black People weren't seemed to be prominent enough in society to be called Mister.

the fact you even have to explain it is depressing enough.

SBT

According to the global president of Mars (cool job title), they changed it because customers and employees asked them to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
What about removing the picture of Colonel Sanders from KFC? It's offensive to midgets! Look at how his arms and legs are portrayed!
download.png

Otis

You know there is a section solely for CCFC, and another for sport
That's why I have steered well clear of the EU thread and the Coronavirus thread of late.

Tis annoying when it infiltrates and seeps through into the main threads though.

Users who are viewing this thread